1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

exhaust system noise advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 05:43 PM

exhaust system noise advice

Alright! My exhaust since I've been back has been sounding a little loud. Everything on the exhaust is new except for the catalytic converter and manifold pipe. I replaced the manifold pipe on Friday but it still sounds loud. The only things left now are the rear and front manifolds. My question is do you guys think the manifolds are still good being the car is so old, or is there a chance they could be rusted out? or is it more probable that its just the gaskets? Im trying to get this fixed for my weekend project so anything you guys can throw at me would be appreciated.

Jose
Old 09-08-2003, 06:47 PM
I love lamp.

Well, other than loud, do you get a "bee's in a can" sound from anywhere on the car? When driving the car, when heavily accelerating or going uphill do you hear a "tat tat tat tat" noise? As for the loudness, is it like that near one section of the car or is it loud in general?

Either way, glad to hear your back bro. Bet you were glad to drive your car again huh?

S
Old 09-09-2003, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by maximase86
Well, other than loud, do you get a "bee's in a can" sound from anywhere on the car? When driving the car, when heavily accelerating or going uphill do you hear a "tat tat tat tat" noise? As for the loudness, is it like that near one section of the car or is it loud in general?

Either way, glad to hear your back bro. Bet you were glad to drive your car again huh?

S
Sarin,
No doubt its good to be back!! I took a months vacation and now Im just settling in back to work and working on the max. 5 months in the desert was way too long. Anyway it seems to be coming from the front. I just dont remember her being that loud. When you rev the car it just sounds like a rumble. There is no bees in a can or tat tat. At high speeds everything sounds good but when I drive on base (you can only go 25) its annoylingly loud. What are the chances the manifolds could have a hole in them? the gaskets only cost 8 bucks so im thinkin of just changing the manifold gaskets??
Old 09-09-2003, 01:03 PM
I love lamp.

Well, my guess is it could be the manifolds, but you would get a tat tat tat like noise. Your cat could be bad, you might try to take a hammer and tap it to see if anything is floating around in it. It could possibly be the flex section, but you would get a bee's in a can sound. Besides, you just replace the down pipe from the manifolds right? I wish I was there to hear it, I can give you a better idea of what it is.

S
Old 09-09-2003, 01:49 PM

Well, my guess is it could be the manifolds, but you would get a tat tat tat like noise. Your cat could be bad, you might try to take a hammer and tap it to see if anything is floating around in it. It could possibly be the flex section, but you would get a bee's in a can sound. Besides, you just replace the down pipe from the manifolds right? I wish I was there to hear it, I can give you a better idea of what it is.

S
If the cat was bad, what type of symptoms would it give me? Would it cause my exhaust to be loud like I have described? The cat does look old and I dont know if the owner prior to me has ever had it replaced. That and the manifolds are the only things that arent new on my exhaust system. Im ready to buy the manifold gaskets and put them in this weekend. But if the cat could be a cause then I will replace that as well!!!
Old 09-09-2003, 02:54 PM
I love lamp.

Well usually, your car would be rattling, or something, that was the reason to check with the hammer. Also usually your exhaust would smell really bad too, since the cat isn't consuming the hydrocarbons. Try the gaskets and see where you get. Becare full of the studs though, they tend to break!

S
Old 09-09-2003, 03:51 PM

I've got bees in a can

S
I get the bees in a can noise when shifting under hard acceleration out of first gear (sometimes out of second). It started recently, but I got my exhaust replaced (had a muffler shop give me a shiny new exhaust pipe from the cat back) this summer. The gasket at the flex section is pretty much dead, but everytime I've tried to replace it in the past they always give me a gasket that's too big and they dont have the one I need. The last time I replaced it (a year or so ago?) I had to goto NAPA Auto Parts and have the thing in hand to compare to what the guy brought me. Then this summer I had my brother pick up one for me from Nissan and he got what they said I needed, and it was the gasket that was too big! >< I really dont know where it goes. Maybe at the other end of the flex section? (on the cat side) The one I'm trying to replace is the one at the manifold/flex connection that you pull apart (well, that I pull apart) when replacing the oil filter. Is that whats making the bees in a can noise? Its really annoying, I sound like a fsking honda in first gear!

Greg
Old 09-09-2003, 04:52 PM

Well usually, your car would be rattling, or something, that was the reason to check with the hammer. Also usually your exhaust would smell really bad too, since the cat isn't consuming the hydrocarbons. Try the gaskets and see where you get. Becare full of the studs though, they tend to break!

S
Yeah I think thats the best route right now. The gaskets are only 8 bucks a piece so I will update you after the weekend or sunday and let you know how it goes. I hear ya on the studs though. when I did the manifold pipe I was scared I was gonna use to much force but to my surprise they came right off. Im trying to get Maxi back into prime condition cause she has to get inspected next month and last time I almost got rejected by 2 points. My emissions on unburnt fuel was high. The tech said if just do a tune up I would be ok so Im trying to do what I can before next month.