1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Got a ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 05:27 PM

Got a ?

Here lately my horn hasn't been working right sometimes it work and sometimes it don't but one thing I noticed is that when the horn don't work niether does the beeping from the key pad.Any one got any ideas here?
Old 02-15-2004, 09:12 PM

These cars are known for their crazy electrical problems. when I had mine, I noticed that when the air conditioner wouldn't kick on, neither would the 4-way flashers, and they're not part of the same circuit. and that's just the beginning. anyone here will tell you that these bad connections are a nightmare. my horn didn't work unless I really slammed on the wheel, and even then it was intermittent, and with the way people here in PA drive, a horn is as necessary as headlights and turn signals! but without getting too technical I'd pop off the center panel for the steering wheel where it says "NISSAN", and check the wire. if I'm not mistaken there's also a metal contact that touches the steering shaft when the panel is pushed.. completing the circuit and activating the horn relay.. make sure everything's clean and connected, and try again.

as for the beeping... I didn't have the pushbutton entry (88 SE), so I can't help you. sorry man.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by blackmaxima88
These cars are known for their crazy electrical problems. when I had mine, I noticed that when the air conditioner wouldn't kick on, neither would the 4-way flashers, and they're not part of the same circuit. and that's just the beginning. anyone here will tell you that these bad connections are a nightmare. my horn didn't work unless I really slammed on the wheel, and even then it was intermittent, and with the way people here in PA drive, a horn is as necessary as headlights and turn signals! but without getting too technical I'd pop off the center panel for the steering wheel where it says "NISSAN", and check the wire. if I'm not mistaken there's also a metal contact that touches the steering shaft when the panel is pushed.. completing the circuit and activating the horn relay.. make sure everything's clean and connected, and try again.

as for the beeping... I didn't have the pushbutton entry (88 SE), so I can't help you. sorry man.
yeah that one I forgot to mention when I turn on my blinkers both of the lights on the dash (the signal inticators)flash and when I turn On the hazzard lights the lights on the dash do nothing lol but that has been that was since I bought the car 3 and a half years ago,but all the light out side work so it is that big of a deal.You got to love all the crap they put in cars now lol