1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

bolt on mods for HP

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 07:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

bolt on mods for HP

Hi, I have a Gen 2 maxima 1988, could someone post a list of boltons to increase horse power, nothing to $$, it's just a winter beater that I keep in great shape until the nice weather comes then the vette comes out. thanks for any responses.

Maxvette
Old 03-21-2004, 09:52 AM
I love lamp.

Werd, welcome to the forums. What year Vette do you have?

Anyway, for bolt on mods, there isn't very much available, but you can do a few things:

Fabricated CAI: You can make your own CAI, just need mandrel bent pipe, a maf adapter, fitting, and a cone filter. You can build your own. One of the best things to get a little power out of your car.

Exhaust: Opening the exhaust on these car is great, but keep in mind, don't go too large or you loose some of the backpressure this car needs to make the torque it makes. 2.5" seems about the biggest you can go N/A. You can pull off 3" with boost.

Underdrive Pulley: This is a good way to free up power. Unorthodox makes one for our cars, but good luck trying to find one.

Lighten Flywheel: Fidenza makes one, you can use on for the 89-92 VG SOHC motor Maxima as well if you can't find one for the 85-88 specifically.

240SX/Stanza Thottle Body: Our stock TB's are 50mm, while the 89-92 Stanza/240SX TB are 60mm. You would have to port out your intake collector for this to work. Increases throttle response.

300ZX ECU: Another way to get optimal timing and A/F out of your motor. Be sure to use the ECU from the same year 300zx as your car, and make sure it's from the N/A motor and not the turbo.

Boost!: Best way to make power, T/C, S/C, or Nitrous. I can't go into detail now, but I can tell you what's involved.

S
Old 03-21-2004, 11:07 AM

Hey S, did you ever get around to putting your UDP on your car yet?
Old 03-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maximase86
Werd, welcome to the forums. What year Vette do you have?

Anyway, for bolt on mods, there isn't very much available, but you can do a few things:

Fabricated CAI: You can make your own CAI, just need mandrel bent pipe, a maf adapter, fitting, and a cone filter. You can build your own. One of the best things to get a little power out of your car.

Exhaust: Opening the exhaust on these car is great, but keep in mind, don't go too large or you loose some of the backpressure this car needs to make the torque it makes. 2.5" seems about the biggest you can go N/A. You can pull off 3" with boost.

Underdrive Pulley: This is a good way to free up power. Unorthodox makes one for our cars, but good luck trying to find one.

Lighten Flywheel: Fidenza makes one, you can use on for the 89-92 VG SOHC motor Maxima as well if you can't find one for the 85-88 specifically.

240SX/Stanza Thottle Body: Our stock TB's are 50mm, while the 89-92 Stanza/240SX TB are 60mm. You would have to port out your intake collector for this to work. Increases throttle response.

300ZX ECU: Another way to get optimal timing and A/F out of your motor. Be sure to use the ECU from the same year 300zx as your car, and make sure it's from the N/A motor and not the turbo.

Boost!: Best way to make power, T/C, S/C, or Nitrous. I can't go into detail now, but I can tell you what's involved.

S
Thanks for the response, the vette is a 1994 C4 just turning 49,500 miles color Black rose
Old 03-21-2004, 03:23 PM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by wylie-c
Hey S, did you ever get around to putting your UDP on your car yet?
Not yet, but I hope to have it in soon. I hear with that thing, I can probably shave a .25 second off my quarter mile. I plan on doing that soon, and will also probably move to a 2.5" exhaust as well.

Thanks for the response, the vette is a 1994 C4 just turning 49,500 miles color Black rose
Very nice! I've always loved Vette's. Dunno if I will ever get one because some of them are just scary to drive. My most favorite Vette would have to be the Stingray. I had an uncle that use to own a Black one. It was one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen!

S