1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

everyone here is gonna hate me.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 04:39 PM

everyone here is gonna hate me.......

but it's better to inform everyone now. I finally had the ***** of my 86 chevy blazer bein a piece of junk. recently it started suckin down more gas than I could even keep track of, idling rough, stumbling, hesitating, and sputtering. even on the highway. the service engine soon light kept throwing out different codes. I replaced one $30 MAP sensor it said was bad... didn't fix it...

so I got a car. the good news: it's imported (not a GM). the bad news.....

it's a 1990 honda accord lx. at first I wanted nothing to do with it... wouldn't even consider getting it... but I kinda warmed up and it's a really nice car.. 5-speed, 2.2 litre 16v engine. power everything. it was taken care of, inside and out. and for a 4-cyl, it has a nice little kick to it. (not nice enough to make me want to dress it up, put ugly lighting on it, a fart can on the muffler, a 3-foot-high wing on the back, and drive around sounding like a p!ssed off bumble bee....)

but it's just a nice car inside and out, gets about 400 miles to the tank too.... I can't complain too much about it. at the time, nothing was for sale in the paper nissan-wise, except for an 87 stanza I test-drove.. but it needed some work and wasn't in as good condition as this is..

I figured I'd outright tell everyone now upfront. now I can expect a group of Maxima owners to show up at my front door in the middle of the night, carrying pitchforks and flaming torches....

anyone know what the stock hp is on one of these?
Old 03-25-2004, 09:02 AM

120 horsepower
Old 03-25-2004, 11:39 AM
I love lamp.

Depends to, some make 140hp and 145hp as well from the 2.2l

S
Old 03-25-2004, 12:48 PM

HonDuh? Get a rope and a tall tree! J/K
Old 03-25-2004, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by blackmaxima88
but it's better to inform everyone now. I finally had the ***** of my 86 chevy blazer bein a piece of junk. recently it started suckin down more gas than I could even keep track of, idling rough, stumbling, hesitating, and sputtering. even on the highway. the service engine soon light kept throwing out different codes. I replaced one $30 MAP sensor it said was bad... didn't fix it...

so I got a car. the good news: it's imported (not a GM). the bad news.....

it's a 1990 honda accord lx. at first I wanted nothing to do with it... wouldn't even consider getting it... but I kinda warmed up and it's a really nice car.. 5-speed, 2.2 litre 16v engine. power everything. it was taken care of, inside and out. and for a 4-cyl, it has a nice little kick to it. (not nice enough to make me want to dress it up, put ugly lighting on it, a fart can on the muffler, a 3-foot-high wing on the back, and drive around sounding like a p!ssed off bumble bee....)

but it's just a nice car inside and out, gets about 400 miles to the tank too.... I can't complain too much about it. at the time, nothing was for sale in the paper nissan-wise, except for an 87 stanza I test-drove.. but it needed some work and wasn't in as good condition as this is..

I figured I'd outright tell everyone now upfront. now I can expect a group of Maxima owners to show up at my front door in the middle of the night, carrying pitchforks and flaming torches....

anyone know what the stock hp is on one of these?
Don't feel bad there man I just bought a 90 beretta GTZ still have my max will run it till it runs no more.The GTZ I bought for my wife cause for some reason she likes the damn thing lol.That and I couldn't pass up the deal got it dirt cheap.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:53 PM

Will if it's gonna do what ya need. Get the car. Speaking of cars, knowing that my now-wrecked Maxima is not gonna be in my hands in the future...I'm lookin for a new ride. Of course, I'm planning to stick with a Nissan, affordable, reliable, good condition, and a daily driver. Plus, with low mileage and under $10K. So I'm thinking of the following:
2000-2003 Sentra SE/SE-R
1991-1998 240SX
1995-1998 Maxima
1990-1996 300ZX

whatcha think?
Old 03-25-2004, 11:52 PM
I love lamp.

The 240 or the 4th gen are probably going to be the easiest to get. The SE-R will probably not be hard to get, but will probably be one of the spendiest. The Z32, well that oughta be interesting to find a TT 5-speed. :P

S
Old 03-27-2004, 08:41 PM

I wanted to get a nissan but the supply end of supply and demand was kinda low. with gas upwards of $1.70/gallon here and showing no signs of falling any time soon, I considered it was in my best interest to stick with the 4-cylinder breed. the honda gets just over 400 miles to the tank (17 gallon tank)...

I was thinking about a sentra or stanza but they're gettin kind of hard to find. I looked at an 87 stanza but it seemed that it was gonna need a lot of work before long... every time there was a sentra in the paper, it sold a few hours later. I needed something ASAP cos that blazer threw in the towel. it's running rich and telling me a bunch of sensors are bad... I replaced a few and it still runs like ****. I think when the voltage regulator in the alternator died and made the voltmeter peg past 19 volts, it damaged the ECU.

the honda seems to run ok.

Dan
------------------------
G.M. (abbr.) Garbage Machine, G...amn Malfunction
CHEVROLET (acronym) Cheap, Hardly Efficient, Virtually Runs On Luck Every Time
Old 03-28-2004, 05:08 PM

hmm mileage and affordable? get a geo lol but you will hate it :S Honda does make good daily driver engines if you tale care of them. If gas wasnt the factor...u can get the 300zx. I love that car. Atought the 4th gen is sweet. hmm
Old 03-28-2004, 06:15 PM
I love lamp.

if mileage is a factor...stay away from a 300zx....especially the boosted ones. You'll have suck a lead foot in those car, it isn't funny! Quite honestly, the honda will kick *** for fuel mileage. That car has always been a good performer, where the maxima, you'd have to drive it continuously on the freeway to get a nice number (I consider a nice number to start at least in the high 20's, like 27-28mpg).

S
Old 03-29-2004, 12:57 AM

to be honest, I'm looking more onto the 240sx area. It's affordable, reliable, good performance, better gas mileage, aftermarket ready, and looks sharp. But if I somehow can't get a hold of one...I'll check out the Sentra(all types) area. The 4th Gen & 300s are most like alternatives....they top notch rides and all, but yo, they take more money to invest in it. I don't need a car far exotic right now, don't mind, just can't right now, but will sometime. Right now I don't even feel that heavily enthusiastic to modify a car when I get a new one. I would of course give it some tuning, wheels, and extra upgrades. But keeping clean & simple. Don't wanna waste too much dough. I'd rather invest it on my most desirable passion, DJing and working in the music industry.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:25 AM
I love lamp.

Are you going to part out your car?

S
Old 03-29-2004, 10:37 AM

240's rock....the SR20DET is a DIRECT bolt-in swap. That motor can also handle some very serious power on all stock internals. Incredible potential. A 240 can be had for less than 2 grand, with another 2 grand for the swap. Even if you don't wanna swap motors, the KA24 has alotta aftermarket parts on it's own. The SR20DET's turbo can efficiently be run at 11-13 psi. Aside from a twin-turbo 300ZX, the 240sx is possibly the Nissan with the most performance potential. GET ONE! You won't be sorry!
Old 03-29-2004, 01:10 PM
deacon frost

Originally Posted by turboast4
Aside from a twin-turbo 300ZX, the 240sx is possibly the Nissan with the most performance potential.
uhhh... Skyline GT-R.... RB26DETT.... much more performance potential than the 240SX or 300ZX. lest we not forget about the 510/Bluebird either.... lots of potential there....

Old 03-29-2004, 02:11 PM
I love lamp.

Uhhh....deacon. First, I think the context of this isn't clear. The 240sx is probably has one of the most performance potential in North America. Yeah...the RB is a very potent motor, but it's very you make it sound like anyone can get a Skyline though. It's already a very difficult and very expensive thing to do. You can get the motor here no problem, but if you break down, you have usually have to get all the JDM parts which in most places, still takes quite a bit of time. You got to keep in mind the practicality here. Bringing one and utlizing it upgradebilty is nice....but how much money needs to be spent just to do that, how long would that take, and have it legal enough to even pull it on a trailor of a dock. Just those 3 things alone don't make it worth it for me to bring.

Now a 240SX, who says they don't have much performance potential? Those cars can kick *** too. You can get parts for these car almost anywhere, they have a huge following of ethusiasts here. So don't discount them.

Even the 300zx, I wouldn't neccessarily knock that car either. The fact you can get huge gains by doing little things to it is awesome. Plus, the VG isn't a motor the laugh about either. Being that it's been Nissan's backbone V6 motor since 84. Hell they are still making VG's right now, until the VQ finally takes over when the new Frontier and Pathfinder go on sale.

Finally, I'm going to point this out again. Think about the context of this thread. I totally agree that out of All Nissan's in the world, the Skyline has the most potential, but here, where we live....it really doesn't because of the rarity and cost.

S
Old 03-29-2004, 09:51 PM
deacon frost

a) - read turbo's reply more carefully. he says "the 240SX is possibly the Nissan with the most performance potential."

he is wrong, as anyone who knows anything about nissan knows that the skyline has the most potential, which i was merely pointing out. had he said "of the nissans made/distributed in north america" then he would have a point.

b) - never in my post did i write that it would be easy to get a skyline in the states. you read far more into that post and assumed a lot of stuff, none of which i wrote. i was merely correcting the lad's american-centric viewpoint of only considering the 240 and Z the best performance nissans.

c) - i never wrote that the 240SX didn't have a following, nor did i write that they don't have potential. read the post more carefully... i simply compared the 240's potential to that of the GT-R. i never "discounted" the 240, and if you could show me where i did, i would like to see it.

d) - again, i don't recall "knocking" the 300ZX either. if you read my post more carefully, i merely stated that the skyline has more performance potential, which if you know anything about nissan, i'm sure you can agree.

don't assume that you know what my meanings/intentions are. don't extract information out of thin air either. if there was something that i wrote that you disagreed with, please quote me on it, but don't assume what i am thinking or what my intentions were...

thank you

Old 03-30-2004, 12:07 AM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by deacon frost
a) - read turbo's reply more carefully. he says "the 240SX is possibly the Nissan with the most performance potential."

he is wrong, as anyone who knows anything about nissan knows that the skyline has the most potential, which i was merely pointing out. had he said "of the nissans made/distributed in north america" then he would have a point.
But look at the context of the thread. We were talking about a someone who is living here in the US. Interested in 4 cars in particular. Yes everyone knows the Skyline blah blah blah blah. But we don't care, we weren't even discussing the Skyline until you mentioned it.

b) - never in my post did i write that it would be easy to get a skyline in the states. you read far more into that post and assumed a lot of stuff, none of which i wrote. i was merely correcting the lad's american-centric viewpoint of only considering the 240 and Z the best performance nissans.
Again, I was refering in context of the thread. You brought up the skyline. I was merely stating to support my point, why even mention the Skyline in something that is pretty much "American-Centric" to begin with.

c) - i never wrote that the 240SX didn't have a following, nor did i write that they don't have potential. read the post more carefully... i simply compared the 240's potential to that of the GT-R. i never "discounted" the 240, and if you could show me where i did, i would like to see it.
Sorry, I was trying to put it into context, and went off a tangent. Sorry.

d) - again, i don't recall "knocking" the 300ZX either. if you read my post more carefully, i merely stated that the skyline has more performance potential, which if you know anything about nissan, i'm sure you can agree.
See my last comment. I fully agree with what your saying about the Skyline.

don't assume that you know what my meanings/intentions are. don't extract information out of thin air either. if there was something that i wrote that you disagreed with, please quote me on it, but don't assume what i am thinking or what my intentions were...

thank you
You know, this is the internet. Therefore it's very easy to misunderstand people and thier intentions. From the few posts you've made in this particular forum, I admit, I have not liked how you, a new org member seem to be a little rude in your posts based on how long you've been here. That is why I posted how I did and it went far off what things really were. I'm sorry and totally apologize for that. I would hope you understand where I'm coming from. I have seen your point, and again apologize for my last post.

S
Old 03-30-2004, 04:07 AM
deacon frost

Originally Posted by maximase86
But look at the context of the thread. We were talking about a someone who is living here in the US. Interested in 4 cars in particular. Yes everyone knows the Skyline blah blah blah blah. But we don't care, we weren't even discussing the Skyline until you mentioned it.
look at the context of the thread?? if i'm not mistaken, this thread was supposed to be informing us of black's decision to buy a honda and his questions pertaining to how much power that car had. if someone else wanted to talk about what kind of car they should buy, then they should have started a new thread. they are the ones who went off on a tangent to begin with. had they done this in the fifth gen forum, they would have been warned and their post would have been deleted. furthermore, if i'm not mistaken, this is a forum about maximas. again, in the fifth gen forum, merely mentioning/discussing getting a different car is enough to get your thread locked.

Again, I was referring in context of the thread. You brought up the skyline. I was merely stating to support my point, why even mention the Skyline in something that is pretty much "American-Centric" to begin with.
you, as turbo, have a very limited viewpoint of the world that nissan is involved in. nissan sells cars around the entire globe, they are a global corporation owned by a french company, and the cars they sell in the states are only a fraction of the cars they sell around the world. why mention the skyline? because he said that the 240 had the most potential, which was misleading. fortunately, this board is populated with mostly american/canadian members. had he said that in a board where japanese and austrailians participate, at the very least he would have been laughed at, and at the extreme he would have been flamed. they take particular pride in their skylines, and they wouldn't appreciate us ignoring the car just because we're not fortunate enough to be able to buy one.

From the few posts you've made in this particular forum, I admit, I have not liked how you, a new org member seem to be a little rude in your posts based on how long you've been here.
lmao. do i have to be "initiated" or "hazed". just because i am a "new org member" doesn't mean i have to change my viewpoints or my writing style to suit someone who has nearly 2000 posts here. trust me, all of your posts mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. i've been around long enough and have been to plenty of other forums. being a "new org member" does not mean i have to acquiesce my thoughts and it certainly doesn't mean that i should be limited or censored in what i write. you can have a serious discussion with someone with a few posts, especially when that someone probably knows a lot more than you. please don't judge people on how many posts they have, that's about the lamest thing you can do.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:54 AM

Alright, geez guys. Yea the Skyline is one of the best cars ever, and the 300ZX isn't far behind. What I'm saying is that if you want to get a smoking car for dirt cheap, the 240 is one of the best. The SR20 motor is very reliable at high horsepower, there are TONS and TONS of parts, and it has the potential to beat a vette. Mind you, all for less than 8 grand when all is said and done (2k for car, 2k for swap, 4k for susp. brakes, etc).
I'm also saying that since jayfresh is talking about cars for less than around $10K, I just assumed he didn't have $65,000 to throw at importing and legalizing a Skyline in the states. Silly me. And, yes, i did expect readers to keep that in mind.
In any case, I'm new here, and i don't wanna stir anything up. Of course the S13 is NOT Nissan's best car ever.

Bottom line: Investing $8,000 for a 240 and parts is probably one of the best all around performance bangs-for-the-buck around. And it can still be driven everyday to work.

And BTW, he said "reliable, good performance, better gas mileage." A 240 even with an SR20 pumping out 250-300hp is the best bet.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:13 AM

Also, the RB20 can, believe it or not, be swapped into teh 240. It's not a pretty swap, but it can be done.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:41 AM

Skylines are cool
I even thought about a swap to a rb26dett
But they are very expensive.
Not so much the engine, its making it legal that cost a butt load!
The 300zx is a better choice seeing as it's already legal, it's just a matter of finding the right one.

Personally I just hope you guys quit fighting!
You both like Nissans leave it at that,besides only people I know who get hung up on exactly what you say are girls!
We're just human we make mistakes,now who wants show me where to get a cheap VQ engine?
Old 03-30-2004, 10:54 AM

lol, fair enough
Old 03-30-2004, 11:53 AM

hey blackmaxx
We pay 2.09/gal!!!(That's for 87)
My max only has 14 gallons(I know its supposed to be 17 but it fills up a 14)
Old 03-30-2004, 12:50 PM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by Drjmaxx88
Skylines are cool
I even thought about a swap to a rb26dett
But they are very expensive.
Not so much the engine, its making it legal that cost a butt load!
The 300zx is a better choice seeing as it's already legal, it's just a matter of finding the right one.

Personally I just hope you guys quit fighting!
You both like Nissans leave it at that,besides only people I know who get hung up on exactly what you say are girls!
We're just human we make mistakes,now who wants show me where to get a cheap VQ engine?
www.car-parts.com seems to be the most popular place to find them....or at least with the boosted guys.

S
Old 03-31-2004, 01:03 AM

OH PLEASE SHUT THE HELL UP!!! This is Maxima and Nissan chit chat! This ain't Jerry Springer! Yeah, maybe I am the one who started in somewhat "changed the subject". Oooh! Did I break a rule?! For real, get grip of yourselves. i just added on since we were talkin about cars for a bargain and such. If you were so damm worried about others to post another subject, then how about this...get ya ugly azz onto the Org and post a new thread called: B*tch Fighting!

I'm out peace.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:04 AM
deacon frost

very mature and profoundly insightful. your writing is so eloquent, you may just be the next ernest hemingway. lmao.

Old 03-31-2004, 03:29 PM

tsk tsk.... now look what I started.

can't we all just get along?
Old 03-31-2004, 03:50 PM
I love lamp.

I've given up....one of the instances you can't fight fire with fire! Quite honestly, it's the internet....so I could careless. Everyone will get over it.

S