1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Future Modding Plans

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 07:40 PM

Future Modding Plans

Now that I have a job that doesn't suck and pays more than $5.50/hr (Pep Boys parts driver ), it's seeming that I'm finally going to have the opportunity to mod the Max. These are my plans for the not-so-distant future. The forum is kinda slow as of late, and I hope you'll enjoy this. So please let me know what you think, and what kind of experience you have had with similiar mods.

A few house-cleaning tasks to begin:
1. Fix the friggen air regulator.
2. Put an LED center tail-lamp in (Uh, help please?), maybe side markers too.
3. Trunk light. Hasn't worked since I got it (not the bulb, never got around to it).
4. Sunroof leaks a bit, probably new stripping.
5. Foglamps.
6. Keyless entry.
7. Maaaayybe some modest window tint.
Then the good stuff:

1. First on the list is getting some handling performance out of the car. Replacing my defunct shocks is first up. Of course, I'm looking at the KYB GR-2's. I've heard lots of good things about them.

2. Next will be a drop. The Suspension Technique springs will likely be my choice.

3. Rims. Not sure what size or style I want yet. I'd like to put on 17's, but I'd also like to retain a decent amount of tire, so maybe I'll have to go with 16's. I'd like a simple 5-spoke, but who knows. BTW, if any of you guys have pics of your Max's with different rim styles, please post 'em so I can get an idea of what styles look like on the car.

4. After the above mods, I'd definitely want to add some straight-line performance. Some type of intake system, probably. Also a quality exhaust system that doesn't sound like a Honda fart-can.

5. Here come the big guns, if I ever get that far. Convert to a 5-speed and rebuild engine with a turbo.

6. Who knows. Anything is possible; speed costs money, how fast do you want to spend? I might throw a body kit in somewhere.

Anyway, opinions and advice, please.
Thx for reading!
Old 07-31-2004, 05:41 PM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by turboast4
Now that I have a job that doesn't suck and pays more than $5.50/hr (Pep Boys parts driver ), it's seeming that I'm finally going to have the opportunity to mod the Max. These are my plans for the not-so-distant future. The forum is kinda slow as of late, and I hope you'll enjoy this. So please let me know what you think, and what kind of experience you have had with similiar mods.

A few house-cleaning tasks to begin:
1. Fix the friggen air regulator.
2. Put an LED center tail-lamp in (Uh, help please?), maybe side markers too.
3. Trunk light. Hasn't worked since I got it (not the bulb, never got around to it).
4. Sunroof leaks a bit, probably new stripping.
5. Foglamps.
6. Keyless entry.
7. Maaaayybe some modest window tint.
A good start for bare neccessities.

Then the good stuff:

1. First on the list is getting some handling performance out of the car. Replacing my defunct shocks is first up. Of course, I'm looking at the KYB GR-2's. I've heard lots of good things about them.

2. Next will be a drop. The Suspension Technique springs will likely be my choice.
A great combo, I stand by this because I used to have this in my car. I still have my ST springs for sale, I'm asking $150, not including shipping. First person to put the money on them, it's thiers.

[QUOTE]3. Rims. Not sure what size or style I want yet. I'd like to put on 17's, but I'd also like to retain a decent amount of tire, so maybe I'll have to go with 16's. I'd like a simple 5-spoke, but who knows. BTW, if any of you guys have pics of your Max's with different rim styles, please post 'em so I can get an idea of what styles look like on the car. [/QUOTE

17's are about the biggest you can go without the tire being ridiculously small. It's be a 40-45 series tire with is pretty good. Now if your like me, I'm getting 35 series tires so I can have 18's on. (Which I found me some Yokohama Parada Spec II's, I'm very excited!).

4. After the above mods, I'd definitely want to add some straight-line performance. Some type of intake system, probably. Also a quality exhaust system that doesn't sound like a Honda fart-can.
I'd go with something like a Magnaflow, If your upping the piping diameter it will get louder, but you can throw in a resonator or two to help with that.

5. Here come the big guns, if I ever get that far. Convert to a 5-speed and rebuild engine with a turbo.
Woot, more 5 speed conversion fun! lol, Lemme know if you every need help with this.

6. Who knows. Anything is possible; speed costs money, how fast do you want to spend? I might throw a body kit in somewhere.

Anyway, opinions and advice, please.
Thx for reading!
A good start. I think that touches pretty much the most you can do with these cars. Either way, just take your time and do everything right, and you'll have a kick *** car!

S
Old 07-31-2004, 06:40 PM

First off, thanx for the reply and support.
I remember you're postings about the springs. I'm interested, but I wanna be able to get the shocks at the same time. I like the idea of an even drop all around, that's why I don't want the Eibachs (pretty sure it's Eibach anyway).
I'd like a paint job to be in there somewhere as well.

I'm starting to get pretty pumped about modding the Max. I don't have any tools (yet). If anyone in the Philly area wants to lend a hand, I'd REALLY appreciate it once I get to insalling this stuff.
I get paid this Thursday.

Then The Madness will begin
Old 07-31-2004, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
Woot, more 5 speed conversion fun! lol, Lemme know if you every need help with this.
S
I'll def. take you up on that sometime, hopefully sooner rather than later. Maybe a cross-country roadtrip will be in order.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:28 AM

Sounds good. Just wait on the body kit. You may be able to have shop custom make one for the same price they're selling for. Also if you go turbo talk about a sleeper!

Have fun man!
Old 09-07-2004, 07:51 PM

Just to let you know, a Maxima with a good exhaust system on it sounds no where close to those fart-sounding lawn-mower hondas. The sound a v6 produces is a lot nicer than a little 4 banger. I just have a cheap R-Active muffler-tip that i traded for a $30 wallmart sub, and it sounds kick a** on my 85 max wagon. You can actually hear some muscle in the sound, unlike those 4 bangers that sound like lawn mowers. If you get a really good exhaust system, it should sound really good.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:05 PM
I love lamp.

I have a Stillen exhaust, with a 2.5" cat back piping. It's nice and deep...but doesn't get very loud.

S
Old 09-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Blown

I just had a custom exhaust built. I have a Catco high flow cat, magnaflow SS muffler, and a 3" angle cut tip. It looks good and the sound is pretty good....though it does get a little raspy up top (not like a stillen on a fourth gen), not bad though.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by cardana24
I just had a custom exhaust built. I have a Catco high flow cat, magnaflow SS muffler, and a 3" angle cut tip. It looks good and the sound is pretty good....though it does get a little raspy up top (not like a stillen on a fourth gen), not bad though.
Notice much power gains with that setup?

Wondering more on the new cat rather than the whole exhaust,
but since it was put on with a whole system, it would be pretty
tough to tell what power gains just the cat gave you...

Scott
Old 09-08-2004, 07:01 AM
Blown

I did it all at the same time so I am not positive what added what...but overall I am happy....it feels much better thru out the power band...I would never say my car is fast but it is much quicker than before the exhaust. My fourth gen never really responded to mods (intake/ exhaust) the way my second gen does. Also I will wait a little while to report on gas mileage, but that is one of the main reasons I got it....I am hoping to gain a little mpg...we will see

Originally Posted by 86Wagon
Notice much power gains with that setup?

Wondering more on the new cat rather than the whole exhaust,
but since it was put on with a whole system, it would be pretty
tough to tell what power gains just the cat gave you...

Scott