1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Urgent question: Fuel cutoff in case of accident? Override?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 05:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Urgent question: Fuel cutoff in case of accident? Override?

Is there anything that would automatically cut off fuel in case of an accident? I got nailed from behind and smashed my front a bit, but no leaks or anything. It turns over alright, electrical is fine, but it doesn't catch. Help! It's at my mechanic's, but he doesn't have time to look, and it's locked up for the weekend in 1 hour...

If it runs I'll take it home and nurse it to health.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:17 PM

If you got smashed from behind you may want to leave it at the mechanics. I haven't heard of an auto fuel cut. Check the fuel pump fuse, maybe its been dislogded. Don't start your car until its been thuroughly checked man. I know Its a huge inconvience but if there is something wrong it could mean your life.

Stay safe

P.S Ill double check the FSM When I get home. What year is your car?
Old 08-27-2004, 05:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Drjmaxx88
If you got smashed from behind you may want to leave it at the mechanics. I haven't heard of an auto fuel cut. Check the fuel pump fuse, maybe its been dislogded. Don't start your car until its been thuroughly checked man. I know Its a huge inconvience but if there is something wrong it could mean your life.

Stay safe

P.S Ill double check the FSM When I get home. What year is your car?
Thanks for the quick reply. 1985, Nissan Maxima SE. The story:

=>_=>_/_/_=>

=>_=>_=>_=>

=>_=>_=>|=>

=>_=>*=>|=>

=>*=>*=>*=>

Of course, I got sandwiched between a Ford F250 and a Jeep up front. Ford didn't hurt the car much (just punched a hole in the bumper), but the Jeep totally killed my hood and radiator. Jeep: Thanks for putting the bumper so high!
Old 08-27-2004, 07:33 PM
I love lamp.

Check to see if you popped a fuse for the fuel circuit. It not, I'm not entirely sure if the 85's even had an override switch or not.

S
Old 08-27-2004, 09:59 PM

no 85 max. didnt have an override swich.
what u shoul do is tell your "mecanic'' to take the pump out and do a bench test on it.
if it works then tell him chek continuiti on the fule pump curcuit, and if thes kool thel hime to chek the fule line for ristrictions. the fule pump from my knowing has 2 relays 1 in the engine bay by the battary (or is it in the fuse blok) and another in the trunk area. check all that
but since im telling u this y dont u do it your self, if u got the tools
Old 08-27-2004, 11:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by arsonist63086
no 85 max. didnt have an override swich.
what u shoul do is tell your "mecanic'' to take the pump out and do a bench test on it.
if it works then tell him chek continuiti on the fule pump curcuit, and if thes kool thel hime to chek the fule line for ristrictions. the fule pump from my knowing has 2 relays 1 in the engine bay by the battary (or is it in the fuse blok) and another in the trunk area. check all that
but since im telling u this y dont u do it your self, if u got the tools
Well, the car is currently behind a gate at my mechanic's shop, guarded by a mean motherf*cker of a Rottweiler named Otis. Otis does not like people. Now even if I could get past Otis, I might have some trouble getting the car through the closed gate, so yeah, I'll need to wait until my mechanic looks at it on Monday. I was hoping that if it's a quick fix, I could have backed it out before 6pm.

Ah, well...at least there's some consolation in knowing that there are potential quick fixes.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:10 PM

fuel cutoff switch.... that's mainly a ford thing... yuck.

anyway, from looking at numerous wiring diagrams for numerous projects, I think I can safely say these cars (or at least my 88) don't have a fuel cutoff. however, the fuel pump relay is in the trunk, in the very back, near the tail lights. if it's not there, it's near the stop/tail warning light sensor. it's very possible that this relay (brown, I think) got smashed or jarred or unplugged. this relay controls the fuel pump, so it won't work without it.

Dan
Old 08-29-2004, 10:50 AM

mabe the shock broke the pump it self some how
Old 09-04-2004, 10:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It was just the ignition coil. The plug at the bottom got disconnected. Now I need to find a right headlight assembly. Anyone got a spare?
Old 09-04-2004, 11:27 PM

lol......
that should have been the 1st thing the ''mechanic'' cheked.(for spark at the plugs)
lol
Old 09-04-2004, 11:33 PM

tell the mechanic to replace your alternator gasket, water pump solenoid, and radiator bearings. then sit back and wait for a month while he tries to find them.

Well I'm glad you got it fixed. good luck with everything else.

Dan
----------------------------
Not a Ford fan? Neither is Newberry Township.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by electricsheep
It was just the ignition coil. The plug at the bottom got disconnected. Now I need to find a right headlight assembly. Anyone got a spare?
you and me both, a dog broke mine

try this place:i just havent gotten arround to ordering yet....and yes this is the cheapist place because the dealership will want $208 for just the glass front and the peice right behind it. no mounting brackets, adjustment screwes, nothing

http://www.discountcarlights.com/dc7...sanmaxima.html
Old 09-05-2004, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by blackmaxima88
tell the mechanic to replace your alternator gasket, water pump solenoid, and radiator bearings. then sit back and wait for a month while he tries to find them.

Well I'm glad you got it fixed. good luck with everything else.

Dan
----------------------------
Not a Ford fan? Neither is Newberry Township.
Yea and make sure he tops off the headlight fluid when the new ones are put in. He might also need to bleed the trans filter after a crash like that.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:01 PM
I love lamp.

I have a spare passenger side headlight for 85-86 style cars, without the bracket.

S