1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Advice from the crew on 1987 Maxima gle

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 04:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Advice from the crew on 1987 Maxima gle

I have just picked up a 1987 Maxima, with 138K miles, 100K on Florida hwys., Its in great shape, driven by grandma previously- the only previous owner. I am looking for some basic info on what I should check/change on this car. I have always wanted a maxima and I know I will get another. I want to care this car as I will be giving it to my son. People of Maxima Nation, guidance please.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:42 AM
Blown

find out when the timing belt was done...it needs to be changed every 60k. Change the oil, check transmission fluid. I would also change the plugs and wires if I did not know the mileage on them (thats just me)...that should get you started. Also check with Nissan and make sure the Fuel Inejector recall was performed on your car....they can check it for you at the local dealer with your VIN, of you can check with 1-800-NISSAN1 , also with your VIN.

-Carson
Old 12-01-2004, 06:12 AM

^^^^ what he said.

if you're doing the plugs and wires, make sure you go with the NGK plugs. don't use that bosch garbage. I've been able to get NGKs from a local nissan dealer for about $1.80 each. you don't need platinum plugs or anything. fisher and napa also handles them. if you can't get ahold of NGKs, densos are comparible.

and the timing belt is important too, like cardana24 said. if that breaks, your maxima will be junkyard bait. and the oil filter's a b***h to get to the first time you change it. it's easiest to get to it from the top of the car. reach down near the master cylinder and feel around for it. one of the heater hoses likes to get in the way. once it's loosened, fish it back out. don't be like me and accidentally break the oil pressure switch while doing it, though. and ohh yeah - if it's a manual, there's a clutch reservoir. I work at auto zone and it's amazing how many people don't know that their clutch is hydraulic and has its own master cylinder. it's small, smaller than the brake master cylinder. one more thing - if you're low on power steering fluid, use only Dexron automatic transmission fluid. that's what is supposed to be used in that car and most other cars. if you use the clear power steering fluid, a leak will develop.

but other than that, you got yourself a hell of a car. regular maintenance is fairly easy. I'd also check the drivebelts. I had an 88 with the original ones on there until the alternator belt started to separate and the cord got caught in the pulley and ripped it clear off. it won't hurt to replace them. but the engine's guaranteed to last at least to 250k if not more. how much you pay for her?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:33 AM

Yes, absolutely positively change the T-belt.

I'd change the fuel filter. It's one of those things people forget about. Mine was the original filter when I had it changed at like 125k miles.

I know this may cost alot, it's a good idea to perform as much maintainence as possible (i.e. fluids, belts, filters, etc.) so you know where exactly you stand with everything. You don't want your cooling system to fail and it turns out the fluid was never flushed.