1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

changing the rear valve cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Blown

changing the rear valve cover gasket

Last week I noticed while I was doing an oil change that my rear valve cover was leaking oil, so I tightened the screws down....well that did not help and I am still leaking oil. Every time I pop the hood now I have oil smoke coming out of the firewall side of the rear valve cover. So my question is how big of a job is replacing the rear valve cover gasket? I have my manual at home that I will read over but I am at work now so I would just like some opinions and advice. Thanks.

-Carson
Old 12-15-2004, 10:32 AM

it shouldn't be hard. I think the cover is held down with philips head screws. once you get everything out of the way it's a matter of taking off the old valve cover (you may have to hit it with a piece of 2x4 to dislodge it), scraping off the gasket, putting a new gasket in, and putting the valve cover back on. it was literally a 5-minute job in my sentra. you can use RTV in place of the gasket too, if you want. it's up to you. if you're using a cut gasket like felt or cork or rubber, a little form-a-gasket or gasket shellac can be used to hold it in place and give a better seal. you may need a heat gun and some gasket remover spray too. I'm not sure what's in the way of actually taking off the valve cover, though.

Dan
Old 12-15-2004, 10:42 AM
Blown

hahahha...thanks, I know what holds it in, I was just wondering what all needs to be taken off to get to it....I know on my fourth gen all the egr stuff had to come off...some coolant lines, and the intake plenum. I know the front one looks much easier, and I will read the manual when I get home, but I was just hoping some one had done this before and could post.

Originally Posted by blackmaxima88
it shouldn't be hard. I think the cover is held down with philips head screws. once you get everything out of the way it's a matter of taking off the old valve cover (you may have to hit it with a piece of 2x4 to dislodge it), scraping off the gasket, putting a new gasket in, and putting the valve cover back on. it was literally a 5-minute job in my sentra. you can use RTV in place of the gasket too, if you want. it's up to you. if you're using a cut gasket like felt or cork or rubber, a little form-a-gasket or gasket shellac can be used to hold it in place and give a better seal. you may need a heat gun and some gasket remover spray too. I'm not sure what's in the way of actually taking off the valve cover, though.

Dan
Old 12-15-2004, 06:56 PM
I love lamp.

Basically the plug wires, PCV hose (probably a good time to put a new PCV valve in if you haven't already done so), and probably need to remove the EGR valve for some clearance. The AAV and FICD might be in the way also. Also, I wouldn't recommend using RTV as a gasket if you can get a normal valve cover gasket. I used it before, and if you don't spread it right, it'll leak. Besides, valve cover gaskets are pretty cheap for a set anyway.

S
Old 12-16-2004, 05:36 AM
Blown

yeah I am not using rtv, I am getting the gaskets....I need to try to find them today so I can get the car ready for our meet this weekend....I'm running out of time!!

Originally Posted by maximase86
Basically the plug wires, PCV hose (probably a good time to put a new PCV valve in if you haven't already done so), and probably need to remove the EGR valve for some clearance. The AAV and FICD might be in the way also. Also, I wouldn't recommend using RTV as a gasket if you can get a normal valve cover gasket. I used it before, and if you don't spread it right, it'll leak. Besides, valve cover gaskets are pretty cheap for a set anyway.

S
Old 12-16-2004, 03:56 PM
I love lamp.

wow, your gonna show off the 2nd gen? Werd!

S
Old 12-17-2004, 05:46 AM
Blown

Just to update you guys...I did this job lastnight, and I have good news. You only have to take off the PCV hose in order to pull the rear valve cover!! I bent a fuel line just a little bit but other than that only the PCV hose was disconnected. I pulled the rear valve cover, then put a bead of RTV around the valve cover then put the new gasket on. I let everything set up for about 10 minutes then I put it back on. I take my time when I am working on my cars so the job took me a total of an hour....not bad in my opinion, to fix an oil leak.