1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

radio adpter

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005 | 09:52 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

radio adpter

will yall post pics of you radio, i put one in and just lef the holes on the side, but im going back and cutting the old raido face and making it fit

i just wonted to see other peoples radio and how they installed it

also what did yall do with the equalizer.......
Old 05-27-2005 | 09:56 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

thats a good question can the equalizer still be hooked up with an aftermarket stereo even though the stereo has one already......and what does it mean if the whole stereo cuts out on you while your listening to music then i hit the dash board and it cuts back on......
Old 05-27-2005 | 10:28 AM
I love lamp.

Disconnected the Equalizer, but let it in. Even if you were able to hook up the EQ, it would sound like crap having the signal double amplified.

S
Old 05-31-2005 | 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by maximase86
it would sound like crap having the signal double amplified.

S
The sound processing of aftermarket H/U's is far superior to that of the factory ones. That's why factory systems need them, and also to make the driver feel cool playing with all the little buttons. I got a little pocket put in, which adds some badly needed storage space for CDs, or in my case a gum wrapper and alien-on-a-skateboard.

It's the only pic I have of it--and unfortunately a crappy one, but you get the idea.
Old 05-31-2005 | 11:02 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by turboast4
The sound processing of aftermarket H/U's is far superior to that of the factory ones. That's why factory systems need them, and also to make the driver feel cool playing with all the little buttons. I got a little pocket put in, which adds some badly needed storage space for CDs, or in my case a gum wrapper and alien-on-a-skateboard.

It's the only pic I have of it--and unfortunately a crappy one, but you get the idea.
where did you get that 'pocket' to fill the lower din space? I have mine covered with the kit I got from crutchfield but I like the the look of your better. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2005 | 11:10 AM

I had my H/U installed by a custom shop that does some really cool work. Anyway, I don't know where they got it from. I browsed the internet once trying to find it online, but I couldn't find the exact same thing. There are ones for Hondas and such, as long as they are single DIN sized they should work.
Old 05-31-2005 | 08:09 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

is the pocket taking place of the equalizer and clock?????,

would you be willing to take a picture a little further back so we can see whats going on

ill take a pic of myne tommorow

thanks

Originally Posted by turboast4

Old 05-31-2005 | 09:27 PM

your radio is kinda shaped like a trapazoid isnt it?, the non floater if i rember correctly

i'm going to buy a new deck from a co worker for $40 soon (CD/MP3 JVC deck) and i'll get some pics after i get it in
Old 05-31-2005 | 10:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah.....I never knew the "odd" shaped radio was from non-floaters. Mine is the cool looking oblong (trapezoid opening, as you say) unit. The eq sits below it and is smaller than the other type. It has the clock beside it. I have been wondering how in the world you would EVER replace that gosh-awful unit with something to look decent. It seems that the unique opening is only for their OEM radio of that type. Anyone?
Old 05-31-2005 | 11:53 PM
I love lamp.

Since I have the older style single DIN EQ, I'm going to replace mine with a nice set of gauges (boost/vac, EGT, FP)....or maybe a nice SAFC.

S
Old 06-01-2005 | 07:30 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

here is how i got myne setup

if i had a trim ring for the radio it would look better
Old 06-01-2005 | 09:09 AM

OK here ya go, hope it helps.

Old 06-01-2005 | 11:56 AM

My dash is the same style as Surra's, I completely removed all the stock components and added black plastic fillers to the sides of the deck. I also have a custom built retractable 7" monitor where the eq was, hidden by a removable cover plate. Sorry about the picture quality, these are old pics, taken with an old 1 megapixel Kodak.

Old 06-01-2005 | 04:42 PM
I love lamp.

Thinking of putting my gauges right below where the EQ is....but that might now work because my HU might block.

S
Old 06-01-2005 | 06:02 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

you did a lot better job cutting a place for your hu

myne is kinda crappy

Originally Posted by maximase86

Thinking of putting my gauges right below where the EQ is....but that might now work because my HU might block.

S
Old 06-01-2005 | 10:53 PM

wylie-c, that is one sic looking setup you have. I am green with envy!
SAAAAWEEEEEET! I like the fact you went with the brushed aluminum unit. It matches the other parts of the car pretty darn well. One thing that always bothered me about an aftermarket unit is it is hard to get them to match to not look out of place aesthetically. Yours rocks!

TurboAST4, yours look trick too, with the pocket below. Where did you find a tray to fit so well? Your bezel is not like mine. Mine is like the trapezoid, not rectangular. I do know where a rectangular bezel is, though, and I might pick it up for the conversion.

I found a OEM unit in a salvage yard (I have been spending a lot of time and money there the last few days) and picked up the radio/EQ/Clock as an assy for $35. I mainly wanted to see if the "loudness" switch would work as mine only boosts when you hold the button in. Release it, and you are back to no boost. BTW, since this was a problem since I bought the car last Aug., does anyone know if the button is supposed to have a two-position feel to it where it sits further in when depressed and locked, or does it simply activate and rock back to it's original position but still activate the loudness function? I hope I am clear, it is 2:30 AM.....
Old 06-01-2005 | 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by ukfan4sure!
Yeah.....I never knew the "odd" shaped radio was from non-floaters. Mine is the cool looking oblong (trapezoid opening, as you say) unit. The eq sits below it and is smaller than the other type. It has the clock beside it. I have been wondering how in the world you would EVER replace that gosh-awful unit with something to look decent. It seems that the unique opening is only for their OEM radio of that type. Anyone?

go get a floater with the standard double din...grab that trim peice that goes from the radio over tyo the power mirror switch and be sure to get the mounting bracket, its easy to get once the trim peice is iff (4 screw on the front, bring a big+long philips) and then the same size screws on the sides but are recessed into the bracket...you'll lose your antenna buttons though

i am so glad mine is standard double din, i have to say some of those trapazoid ones are lookin funky

surra yours isnt looking too bad, atleast you dont have a funky thing that hangs off your deck
Old 06-01-2005 | 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
go get a floater with the standard double din...grab that trim peice that goes from the radio over tyo the power mirror switch and be sure to get the mounting bracket, its easy to get once the trim peice is iff (4 screw on the front, bring a big+long philips) and then the same size screws on the sides but are recessed into the bracket...you'll lose your antenna buttons though

i am so glad mine is standard double din, i have to say some of those trapazoid ones are lookin funky

surra yours isnt looking too bad, atleast you dont have a funky thing that hangs off your deck
Yeah, I see what you are talking about. I had one in my hand today out of a really nice wrecked (hit a curb and ripped, I mean RIPPED!the suspension right out from under it) station wagon. Dang the interior is almost mint in this car. The radio was already gone, so I was hesitant to take it as I didn't know what other bracketing would be needed or if it had disappeared with the other radio/eq combo. I'll take a second look when I am back over there. Hey man, thanks for the info. "you da man...!"
Old 06-01-2005 | 11:45 PM

there might be something else to mount it like a standard double din so just if any thing else looks important in terms of mounting grab it too.....i cant for the life of me rember if the trapazoid decks have the same mount points for the brackets or not but the trim peice should work with out any thing extra
Old 06-14-2005 | 11:26 PM

My local car audio store said that they would make a plate out of abs plastic and that these are a pain in the *** to work on. I was going to get a piece of 1/4" partical bord or mdf and make one myself and put some black vinal over it. I was also going to put a few different horns in and city lights so I was thinking about putting some togle switches where the eq is. However I haven't gotten to any of this yet and run my sub out of the top of my iPod.
Old 06-28-2005 | 09:44 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

i got the floater plastic thing today

idk what im do under the radio, i wont to keep the clock but idk how its going to work out
Old 06-28-2005 | 08:46 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

hey go back to the yard and get either a box or the nissan box with the door grom a 3rd gen maxima itl look pretty cool just gona have to find the right brackets to get everything to line up right
Old 06-28-2005 | 08:48 PM

clock? wont the new head unit have a clock? doesent the old head unit have a clock in it too?

and holy AAV bat man.....how do you check if those are any good any way? (i gots a few)
Old 06-28-2005 | 08:49 PM

On my sound system, i used the shell of the old radio that bolts to the frame as a mount for my new deck, i just removed the EQ and replaced it with black plastic, and i also put black plastic around the deck on the sides. The mount works well, (unfortunately, i had the dash peice that goes around the deck off once, and someone stole my Alpine deck) so be sure to use locktite on the bolts that go to the frame. Once i get my dash put back together, i will post some pics with an old JVC CD deck installed into my 2nd gen wagon.
Old 06-29-2005 | 05:59 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
hey go back to the yard and get either a box or the nissan box with the door grom a 3rd gen maxima itl look pretty cool just gona have to find the right brackets to get everything to line up right

ya i was going to just pick up any box from a honder i guess
Old 06-30-2005 | 02:11 PM
Helmuth48

New Guy has question about CD installation

Since I am a new guy..I cannot start a thread or search the forum....
So here is my question....

After many years of owning a 85 (bought it new)..I am giving it up to my daughter (16yr)...but I need to install a CD player.....everything is original on the car and working (except the cassett player is broke....so i have radio only). The car has all the acessories except for leather seats!!

Is this something I can do myself or must I take it to a pro-shop ???
Old 06-30-2005 | 08:59 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

yes ig you have the wiring diagram from hayes and an adapter which fills in the holes its totally doable i did mines i should post pics soon. but yeah totally doable.
Old 07-01-2005 | 05:51 AM
Helmuth48

Yes..I got several books...including the Factory Repair Manual from Nissan...I got when I bought the car new.....

Thanks for the feedback....I just my take it in to a shop and get an estimate..
Old 07-01-2005 | 10:09 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

i dont kno wow it is there but here in san diego in cali if you buy a radio the installation at most places is free.
Old 07-03-2005 | 03:43 PM

All I have to say is: unless you don't know anything about car wiring, don't let a shop install the system. Most installers have never even seen a car that was older then 1990. Besides, no one cares about doing a good job on your car more than you.

If you can find a shop with a person who has been doing systems since the early/mid 80's then that maybe OK.
Old 07-03-2005 | 05:38 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

its not that hard to do, im sure someone on your street could help ya out
Old 07-06-2005 | 09:25 PM

any luck??
Old 07-08-2005 | 06:16 PM

I just got my radio kit, just don't know which wire is which...
Old 07-08-2005 | 10:32 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

This is what i meant.........
Old 07-09-2005 | 04:51 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

ya all i need is the pocket, i got my radio in fine, (i just put some card boad over the hole for now) its a long drive to the yard and i dont like to go, so ima get a few things while im there
Old 07-09-2005 | 09:02 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

20%, paid 350.00, lifetime warr, got gipped, they say that the rear window is a ***** so be prepared...oh and im in california
Old 07-09-2005 | 09:25 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

20%, paid 350.00, lifetime warr, got gipped, they say that the rear window is a ***** so be prepared...oh and im in california

ya i was thinking of getting the doors then, and mabey not even getting the back, cuz i wont to actually see out
Old 07-09-2005 | 09:57 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

withtinting you can see out not in i can see fine out of my back window
Old 07-09-2005 | 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Helmuth48
Yes..I got several books...including the Factory Repair Manual from Nissan...I got when I bought the car new.....

Thanks for the feedback....I just my take it in to a shop and get an estimate..
NEVER LET A SHOP INSTALL A RADIO! UNLESS YOU REALLY KNOW THAT THEY KnOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING! I say this after all the time I have met Z-car owners, owners of other old Nissans, and other older cars that tell me of how their car caught on fire after the radio was installed. Most places seem to have no real clue about doing an older car, because they don't have adapter plugs for the old harnees. They end up butchering the car's harness and thet can at the least cause you problems other than fire. I wold get the FSM (Factory Service Manual) and then find how the plugs to the radio are wired in stock form and then make safe connections to things like the stock power supply wires while trying not to cut more wires than you have to. Use lots of tape to cover the connections.
Old 07-09-2005 | 11:23 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

withtinting you can see out not in i can see fine out of my back window

oh, img going to look into it, mabe it will be cheper in nc

(its kinda dumb to put $ into my car with $250,000 miles) !!?!!!!?!!!

o well its better than saving!!!

Quick Reply: radio adpter