1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

1986 Wagon First Time Pictures/My first new thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005 | 04:50 PM

1986 Wagon First Time Pictures/My first new thread

Hey everybody, I've been a member here for a while, and have somewhere around 20 posts so far, and none of you have seen my car! Anyway, She is a 1986 Wagon with just under 61,000 miles (yes, 61,000 not 161,000 or 261,000). She was my grandfathers company car, then he bought it, then gave it to my grandmother. She hasn't driven it in quite some time as she unfortunatly has come down with alzhimers disease. Anyway, the car was passed on to me so here she is... I give you: "Champion"

here is the link to my cardomain page (just pictures now, I'll add comments later): Cardomain for my 1986 Maxima Wagon

And here are a few "teaser pics". Let me know what you guys think!!!!

Overall Shot:

Aiwa head unit (I normally plug my ipod into the front aux input)

Check out the tow hitch!!! And of course the sweet Grand Theft Auto San Andreas decal! check out my cardomain to see a big pic of the sticker!

two 10" sony xplode's (boxes will be re-made, those were a perfect fit in my RX-7... but have since been transplanted). Also two xplode 6 x 9's, and yes, a gamecube... check out my cardomain to see the screen and the power inverter (and the sweet Lehigh University sweatshirt) I'm gonna be graduating from there in May of 2006! Also check out my cardomain to see where I hide my two amps, one rockford fosgate punch 550s and one old school rf series 1 amp.

Yeah... I have under car LED's (I mean, I figure I drive a station wagon... might as well pimp it out) haha, best $45 I ever spent

There are other various goodies in my cardomain site including pix of my engine, my infinity kappa 10.1 tweeters, and even some stuffed animals! Haha, I was just at dorney park in PA last weekend and haven't cleared out my prizes... thanks for checkin it out and again, let me know what you think about Champion!!!!
Old 08-08-2005 | 07:08 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

do i see spinners in the near future??????

paint it orange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice pimp mobile
Old 08-08-2005 | 07:51 PM

if I could afford ::real:: spinners, I would definitely get them. Paint will be black, again, when I can afford more than a $300 maaco job (yuck). and thank you, i have self-pimpified. I also consider myself ghettoified. the 15" sub going in next week will continue in these lines stay tuned
Old 08-08-2005 | 08:39 PM

didnt know maaco was still in business, it reminds me of the paint shops in GTA (like the sticker in the window)

theres a dark green one with redone birght chrome trim and plated wheels here, i'll try to get a pic
Old 08-08-2005 | 08:43 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

we got some maacos in san diego
Old 08-08-2005 | 09:46 PM

We have Maaco's here too, just recently there was a guy who worked at my shop for a bit. Ex-Maaco employee. Suffice to say he didn't make the cut at refinishing $150k+ CAD brand new Peterbilts.
Old 08-09-2005 | 08:11 AM
Blown

Nice wagon....whats up with that sticker though. You must really like that video game.

So has anyone had a car painted at Maaco? The reason I ask is because I would like to have my car painted, and I am not looking to spend top dollar for it, but I do not want it to look like crap either. If you have had anything painted there could you send me a pic of the before and after and how much it cost. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2005 | 09:11 AM

That's in really good condition. I have the same two-tone colors on my 84 wagon. Thank your grandfather for keeping it in such good condition and passing it on.
Old 08-09-2005 | 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by cardana24
Nice wagon....whats up with that sticker though. You must really like that video game.
haha, the sticker was actually kinda a joke, my buddies got it when they got the game from the employee at the store since they didn't have any room on the store window. They thought "who would be dumb enough to put this on their car..." and I came to mind I do actually really like the video game, but the decal will have to come off soon cuz i'm gonna have it professionally tinted so I don't have to keep covering up my electronics every time I stop
Old 08-09-2005 | 08:17 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

you should tint ur self to get those gansta bubbles in the window
Old 08-09-2005 | 08:43 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

gangsta bubbles......thats funny, i think that happens when you use cheap film, and amonia windex, it also turns tint purple..
Old 08-10-2005 | 06:59 AM

Nice car, that is in sweet condition! This thread caught my eye when I was browsing, you don't have to remove the sticker if you get tints since it's done on the inside..I still have mine on my car =0

Btw yeah who has gotten their car painted at Maaco? There are ton of em back home in Chicago. =0
Old 08-10-2005 | 07:10 AM

The thing with Maaco is you 'can' get a good paintjob done there, but it will cost the same as any other shop. Their cheapy deals don't include much if any bodywork. I know up here they charge something like $25 for each door ding, etc., so that can add up pretty quick. Also their idea of a prep job basically equates too scaring it with a scotchbrite pad. And to have decent paint put on it, either single stage urethane or base/clear costs a couple hundred more over and above the cheap synthetic or acrylic enamel they normally use. And above all, it really comes down to the skill of the people involved in working on your car. They generally don't get paid much and therefore don't spend the time to do things right.
Old 08-10-2005 | 07:54 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by wylie-c
The thing with Maaco is you 'can' get a good paintjob done there, but it will cost the same as any other shop. Their cheapy deals don't include much if any bodywork. I know up here they charge something like $25 for each door ding, etc., so that can add up pretty quick. Also their idea of a prep job basically equates too scaring it with a scotchbrite pad. And to have decent paint put on it, either single stage urethane or base/clear costs a couple hundred more over and above the cheap synthetic or acrylic enamel they normally use. And above all, it really comes down to the skill of the people involved in working on your car. They generally don't get paid much and therefore don't spend the time to do things right.
how much do you think one should spend for a decent paint job on a car worth less than 1k? I was not aware that macco did not do base and clear...I just figured thats what everyone did.
Old 08-10-2005 | 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Maxi113
Nice car, that is in sweet condition! This thread caught my eye when I was browsing, you don't have to remove the sticker if you get tints since it's done on the inside..I still have mine on my car =0

my "sticker" isn't actually a sticker - it's a decal that goes on the inside of the car, so it would have to be removed... but it's not that big a deal
Old 08-11-2005 | 07:57 AM

I don't do too many cars, since I work in a truck shop. I could tell you what it costs to paint a Peterbilt if you'd like! But my sister just had some insurance work done on her car, and they quoted her $1200 CAD to do the whole car BC/CC. Sounded about right to me, a Pete costs around $4500. If she shopped around I'm sure she could get a better deal. I know it sounds like a lot of money to put into an old car, but if you intend to keep the car I'd go for it. If you want a metallic colour, I'd stick with BC/CC, but if it is a solid colour a good quality single stage urethane is just as good, and should save a few bucks. There's also other tricks, like adding a little clear into the last coat of a SS job to give it a bit more depth. I've had trucks come back for other repairs 2 years after I painted them with SS urethane and they are still holding a decent shine. And that's on something that lives on the highway and puts on 2-300,000 kms a year. Just make sure you get a few quotes, and also look at the quality of some of their work too. If it seems like too good of a deal it probably is. The last thing you want is a job that starts peeling because of a shoddy prep job.
Old 08-11-2005 | 12:08 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

can you not do ur own prep work and have them only paint??????????????????????????
Old 08-11-2005 | 12:24 PM

By all means, sure you can. But do you know what you're doing? I've seen a lot of "experienced" preppers make mistakes. And I doubt they'd warranty it if you did your own prep.
Old 08-11-2005 | 01:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I want to know..... What belt connects to the water-pump for a 88yr max v63000?
Old 08-11-2005 | 02:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Guzman
I want to know..... What belt connects to the water-pump for a 88yr max v63000?
Old 08-11-2005 | 02:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well.... I know cars but like ford, cheveys, or other cars....... I just was having problems with this one..... I just got this car from a friend of mine and she told me that her power-steering went out and that it was overheating.... and she didn't want it anymore..... Well I thought it was just the Thermenstat or relays....1,2,or 3..well it wasn't neither.... Untill I look at the water-pump and remember what she had told me.. anyways theirs no belt on water-pump or power-streeing.... So please tell me, where does that power-streeing belt connects to? Thank you
Old 08-11-2005 | 06:04 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

go to advance and tell them you wont that belt
Old 08-12-2005 | 04:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

wow i didnt know nissan made maxima wagons!
looks nice though
Old 08-13-2005 | 11:13 AM

Haha, I love the huge GTA decal and the "R" floor mats.

Old 08-17-2005 | 08:22 PM
Doc
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by kiker14
Hey everybody, I've been a member here for a while, and have somewhere around 20 posts so far, and none of you have seen my car! Anyway, She is a 1986 Wagon with just under 61,000 miles (yes, 61,000 not 161,000 or 261,000). She was my grandfathers company car, then he bought it, then gave it to my grandmother. She hasn't driven it in quite some time as she unfortunatly has come down with alzhimers disease. Anyway, the car was passed on to me so here she is... I give you: "Champion"

here is the link to my cardomain page (just pictures now, I'll add comments later): Cardomain for my 1986 Maxima Wagon

And here are a few "teaser pics". Let me know what you guys think!!!!

Overall Shot:

Aiwa head unit (I normally plug my ipod into the front aux input)

Check out the tow hitch!!! And of course the sweet Grand Theft Auto San Andreas decal! check out my cardomain to see a big pic of the sticker!

two 10" sony xplode's (boxes will be re-made, those were a perfect fit in my RX-7... but have since been transplanted). Also two xplode 6 x 9's, and yes, a gamecube... check out my cardomain to see the screen and the power inverter (and the sweet Lehigh University sweatshirt) I'm gonna be graduating from there in May of 2006! Also check out my cardomain to see where I hide my two amps, one rockford fosgate punch 550s and one old school rf series 1 amp.

Yeah... I have under car LED's (I mean, I figure I drive a station wagon... might as well pimp it out) haha, best $45 I ever spent

There are other various goodies in my cardomain site including pix of my engine, my infinity kappa 10.1 tweeters, and even some stuffed animals! Haha, I was just at dorney park in PA last weekend and haven't cleared out my prizes... thanks for checkin it out and again, let me know what you think about Champion!!!!

I see a Lehigh shirt in the back?! Very cool. Are you a student or alum? I live in Bethlehem and did all my grad work there. My younger brother graduated from Lehigh in '89 and was a Phi Sig.