1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

84 Maxima Wagon Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:21 AM

84 Maxima Wagon Muffler

I went into the local parts store earlier this week to get a replacement muffler for the 84 wagon. The partsman looked at the price and asked me did I want a chair. He could order one for $164 or I could get a generic brand oval type muffler if I would measure the openings from the muffler I have now.
Cray54 offered a free muffler a few months ago in the forum and I would have jumped at it, but the wagon's muffler is different in shape and position than the sedan's and it has a long pipe behind it.
Does anyone know where I can get the 84 wagon's muffler at a decent price? If not I will go the generic route.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:30 PM

Get a fart cannon Like i got...hehehe
Old 01-14-2006, 04:47 PM

I'll probably get something in the coming week. The weather was unseasonally warm on Thursday and Friday so I was able to get outside and work of the wagon a little. One of the rear brake drums was kinda frozen on and I finally got it off with a little muscle and a lot of prayer. I cleaned the brake parts but broke the bleeder screw off in the wheel cylinder in the process. I got the old muffler off - it was pretty rusted through - and did an oil change. Today it snowed and was very windy. Next good day, I'll try to be out again.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:22 PM

Well I hope you find what your lookin for...
Old 01-16-2006, 03:38 PM

that is nothing, a non generic muffler for my car would cost me a bit over 300 dollars.your best bet would probably be to go to a muffler shop and get the generic oval muffler put on. The muffler and some piping should not run you more than the $164 that the parts person quoted you. There is not much of a difference between OEM and the generic in your case.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:06 PM

After looking at different web sites and finding mufflers only for the 84 sedan I got a generic muffler from the local parts store for $20 and some flex pipe. When I get some time and the weather cooperates I will put them on. I quess Maxima wagons are rare or the mufflers are supposed to last and last.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:03 AM

HAHA Midas Wanted 600 dollars JUST FOR A OEM!!!!! .... I was like no THANK you im looking at this http://www.2kracing.com/product_info...oducts_id/4034

I think it might fit for my 1988 SE Any one else have a say weather anot it will fit?
Old 01-24-2006, 01:25 PM

It seems like that muffler will fit, DJ. The issue with that muffler is that it is made for turbo applications. Since we came with N/A engines in the US, there could be a problem if it lowers your backpressure too much. This could actually make you lose power in the end.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:07 PM
I love lamp.

Magnaflow muffler FTW. Ford Expedition bumper kiss mod FTL. This exhaust was installed in prep for the turbo...which I might not do now. You'd think it'd be very loud...but it isn't....only a slight drone. 2.5" catback piping. Everything from the CAT forward is still original. The exhaust sound is beautiful. Ask wylie when I had the Stillen...even that sounded really good.

4th gen Stillen exhaust beforehand...too bad it hung too low.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:08 PM

Tommarow im going to get a whole cust exaust done the whole EXAUST! 300 for the exaust done with muff , And the muff already has tip built into it ... Im looking at a cople they have but they all look rice.... There like huge , The package includes the 75$ ones on this page but if i want a 99$ one i gotta pay the diffrence , Should i go with the rice or with the more muscle look?

http://sites.managerslogin.com/folde...owse&pageid=34

And then 50 bucks to install a 59 buck Cat i bought at advance auto since i dident have the 150 to pay for a Hi flow cat , And i doubt it will pass emm With a highflow... hoping this will give me a better sound since the exaust hasent been replaced since 1988... and it sounds Really Bad like im sure half of you're guys cars here sound like the way mine does now if you havent got you exause replaced.... unless its the intake , Or exaust manifold it sounds like its coming from uber my feet , I dont know ill see what it sounds like after i get a cust tommarow ... Freaking midas wanted 600 for THE orig... I was like no thank you... Can any one tell me witch Muffs you think better in those pictures , Im not going to pick the one you like , Im just gonna make my desciction better... Ill post some sounds of before and after cant wait... And how long does it useally take to get it made and installed , This guy said 4 hours at max , Hopefully It will be done by then , And this guys saying 15 more hp, But with this Cat i doubt i will pull 15... Because its one of thouse univerisals... What do you guys think?
Old 01-25-2006, 07:03 PM

muffler

Originally Posted by VideoMan
I went into the local parts store earlier this week to get a replacement muffler for the 84 wagon. The partsman looked at the price and asked me did I want a chair. He could order one for $164 or I could get a generic brand oval type muffler if I would measure the openings from the muffler I have now.
Cray54 offered a free muffler a few months ago in the forum and I would have jumped at it, but the wagon's muffler is different in shape and position than the sedan's and it has a long pipe behind it.
Does anyone know where I can get the 84 wagon's muffler at a decent price? If not I will go the generic route.

Thanks in advance.
Vidioman, My '84 wagon has the original on it at 170,000 miles, and is just starting to rust at the weep hole at the back. The inlet/outlet pipes are 1 3/4", and the case is 12" long, and if you look at the muffler book at any auto parts store you should come up with a match, just be sure uf the positions of the inlet/outlet ports. By the way, the hatch supports ars still working great!!
Earl in TUCSON
Old 01-29-2006, 02:50 PM

E-CARP, glad to hear that the lift supports are still holding up. The weather was nice yesterday and today so I got to work on the muffler a little. Thanks for the measurements on the muffler, I took the original to the parts store when I got the generic and the guy did the best he could, but when I got under the car yesterday, the generic was too long. I visited three more parts stores today and the third one had the one to fit your measurements. I just finished putting it in with the flexpipe a few minutes ago. The brakes are next on the list.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:28 PM

muffler?

Vidioman, If the first replacement was too long, why did you need flex pipe with the second, if it was the correct size??? Earl
Old 01-30-2006, 09:04 AM

Sorry for the confusion. The flex pipe was for the tailpipe which the parts stores here don't have either. I have time to look for a regular tailpipe but the wagon without the muffler was too much to take. Exhaust was coming up the sides of the car and it was noisy.