1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Ecu diagram or rad fan wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 10:34 PM

Ecu diagram or rad fan wire

Alright im trying to do a manuel radiator fan mod , Witch you can turn the radiator fan on , From inside the car with the help of a switch.

I am looking for the 88 ecu diagram , OR witch color wire hooked up to the ecu is for the raidator fan.

Thanks , Alot.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:50 PM

You could just use a relay and a switch, although the ECU would probably have a fit if it thought the fans were running/off when it wants to control them, if thats not the case, just install a separate relay directly connected to the battery and the fans.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:40 AM

Witch color wires should i hook the realay up to?
Old 04-13-2006, 07:16 PM

I will have to go check on my Max (it's an 85, but the wires should be similar). I would just hook up the power wires from the fans to the relay, thats what you would do for this. Basically making a separate circuit for the fans. OR, (this just popped in my head) run a set of wires from your exsisting rad fan relays (the triggering input), to a switch. That way you can turn on the fan when you want it on, but if you forget to turn it on, the ECU will kick the relay on!

I will check my Max asap for the wires, and the relays and which contacts you would use to connect a switch to. I might take some pics too, and make a wiring diagram.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:35 PM

Yeah , The relay is that white block next to the fan . There is two wires hooked to it , Im guessing , One is a high and one is a low??? Or one is a ground and one is a control wire?

No clue , My friend gave me this diagram today

You would hook the switch up to that Thermo switch.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:46 PM

Or just replace the thermo switch..
Old 04-13-2006, 07:48 PM

Ok, I just went out and looked at my Max. I have 3 relays in the relay box, all blue. The wires going to my fan are 1 light green, 1 dark green and 1 black. Im guessing that the green wires are the power for each fan, and the black is the ground for both. I don't think there is a high or a low, its just one fan on, or both on.

I got some pics of the relays and wires on mine. I will have to shrink them, and stick them up on photo-bucket. Along with a diagram, of which I think will work to turn on the fans.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:53 PM

I mise well go look at mine
brb
Old 04-13-2006, 08:24 PM

Heres mine :

Wonder how i would hook it up :|
Old 04-13-2006, 08:49 PM
I love lamp.

I say you just bypass all that. Basically cut the 2 wires going into the each of the fan motors, run it thru a relay to the battery. Then wire a switch to that relay thru an ignition keyed power source (ya know, not to accidently leave them on).

S
Old 04-13-2006, 08:57 PM

Where do you think i can pick up that kinda relay ?
Old 04-13-2006, 08:58 PM
I love lamp.

You can get a relay from any auto part store for a few bucks.

S
Old 04-13-2006, 09:06 PM

Here are some pics and some cruddy drawn diagrams (damn it's hard to draw with a track-ball!!)

Old 04-13-2006, 10:16 PM

alright , So cut the wiring so its just 3 wires from the fans , Green blue and black , the black is ground im sure , So just ground that to the frame some where , Or to the intake manifold , then hook the green and blue on the relay , And then Hook the switch positive wire to , The relay and then connect the negative some where on the intake mani fold or frame ... Will that work?
Old 04-13-2006, 10:19 PM

lol , I forgot about power , And then hook a cable from the relay to the batt , Do you thin 18 gague is to small?

And since i basicly Made the fans not use the relays that where premade , Just use one of them for a relay?
Old 04-15-2006, 05:44 PM

Never mind i did it my self , It looks cool in the dark , And cools down the engine fast!!! , I ran the car for like 30 mins cruzin around local back roads dident take it out on main roads because i had no hood and no tags....

Pictures :

The ugly :

The awsome :

That's the setup till i get a switch box or some thing like that.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:23 PM

another rad fan question...

I'm a noob here so I guess I can't start a new thread...I have one question that's specific to this topic though.

First of all, I currently own 3 1987 Maxima's. My wife and I had bought one brand new back in '87 (5 Speed SE) and loved the car. At 175K miles, some fool ran off the road and totalled it in our driveway. We were "Maxless" for a number of years but missed it so much we started looking around. Bought a burgundy one that our 17 year old daughter drives now - it's a beater and wasn't in great shape when we got it. One cool feature though - it has the voice warning ("Door is open", "Lights are on"). We bought 2 more recently, one is on the road and the other has a rotten driver's side rear wheel well that I'm scouting parts to get fixed. I have leads on a gold '87 in a local salvage yard with excellent fenders and may buy the whole batch (they won't sell the whole car). I also found one at a shop, they'll let me have it for $150 but no title, and another one with a buggered flywheel that I may pick up for $300 or so. These both have significant rust but lots of other useable parts.

Anyway, the question I have is on the rad fans. One of the 2 that are on the road now, in addition to having a stuck-open thermostat (takes a long time to heat up), once it's hot the passenger side fan *never* comes on. I pulled the power cord and hot-wired it to the battery, and it spins just fine. I tried swapping all the fan relays with one of the other cars in which both fans will come on, and it still won't spin, even with the temp gauge almost all the way up.

I'm curious about the fused link - I don't see one in mine anywhere, could it be near the relay box? I have a Chilton manual with the wiring diagrams and it shows the fused link but so far haven't been able to locate it. Any ideas?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:30 AM

The passenger side fan only comes on at very high temperatures(I forget exactly) or when the AC is turned on. It isn't supposed to run with the driver side fan all the time. Try turning on the AC to see if it works.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by dtm88na
The passenger side fan only comes on at very high temperatures(I forget exactly) or when the AC is turned on. It isn't supposed to run with the driver side fan all the time. Try turning on the AC to see if it works.
Looking back, I forgot to mention that I did try this and that fan *never* comes on even with the A/C on. The temp can be up at 3/4 to 7/8 with neither fan on...at least if the A/C is on it forces the driver's side fan to stay on.

Does this sound more like a faulty sensor? Where is the sensor located that tells the system when to turn the fans on? Are there more than one? Wiring diagram shows 2 "Thermo Switches", one in parallel with the A/C relay and another one off Radiator Fan Relay 1.

It seems that I have more than one problem here - the car runs hot and neither fan comes on, then if the A/C is turned on only one fan runs. I think I've ruled out the fan and A/C relays, so this could be bad wiring, faulty sensor(s)/switch(es) or a combination of the two. Or it could be something else, hopefully not a bad ECCS.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:11 PM

I still haven't been able to solve this problem. The Chilton manual shows 2 thermal sensors on the radiator, one at the top and one at the bottom. This car only seems to have one at the top. Where else can I look for the second sensor?

I think I remember pulling the wire on the top one and nothing changed...if this happened while the driver-side fan was running and it shut down, then I'd assume the sensor was working. Have to try that again.