1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

these engines are tough, how tough?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:00 PM

these engines are tough, how tough?

ok i have been thinkin. i really need to do something with my car, i'm not going to go to school this year theres too much crap going on but i am going to get a new job. i need to fix my car or it needs to go, i would rather not get rid of it but its getting down to that point.

at the moment the engine runs flawlessly except for a little rough and bumps in the idle when its cold, quickly goes away. needs a pan gasket...thats about it.

if i am going to do this its going to be suspension, body and interior but i wouldnt mind having fun too so i was wondering.

how tough is the bottom end?
i see these: http://www.redlinemax.com/catalog/pr...oducts_id=1476

"All 1983-89 300ZX VG30E and VG30ET engines" for some reason they dont say maximas from 85-88 but as wel all know the engine thing.

if i were to get new heads, pop these in and them on the engine how would the rest of it, being stock, hold up? i am mostly concerned with valve springs and connecting rods. it says its rough on autos but....my auto is rough on me, if it goes out i know where to get more.

i know its alot of work but i am planning with all of this to get another car to drive in the mean time. but that may spell doom for the whole thing if i get a new car.

i dont know what do you think?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:31 AM
STFU n00b!

Honestly? Silk purse, sow's ear.
To be painfully honest, the VG auto will NEVER be a fast car. sure the cams will help it breathe better, but there's simply no point in doing all that work for a 16 second car.

that said, I just got done dumping $5000 in my VE-5 for a built engine But it's got a lot more out there available than the VG auto and has much more potential than a 2nd gen Chassis.

If that's what you want to do, go for it. But I think you're going to be spending a bunch of money on something that will never be that fast.
put another junkyard engine in it and enjoy it for what it is. buy another car that's more moddable if you want to go fast.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:41 PM

i am not spending the money on it to be just fast, if i were to do that i would rip all the innards out i didnt need.

just more fun.

and i dont think what i want to do will cost $5000
Old 07-12-2006, 07:28 PM

I've heard that the VG30 (DE) is a tough engine in stock form, im not sure about the VG30E as much. I read somewhere on the net that a VG30DE will handle up to ~500 HP with the stock crankshaft and rods. If you look at some of the JWT stuff, you will find there are alot of mods for the VG30E/T. I believe that you can easily build a 450 HP VG30E.

You mentioned you wanted upgraded suspension? I will be trying out a suspension mod on my 85 max, to modify some Tanbe Coilovers. I have 2 sets of them, the other set is going to be modded on to my Hybrid-300ZX Z31. Once I experiment with the mounting of the coilovers, I will post the info, and maybe you can look into it, it's almost cheaper to go with coilovers, and get much better performance.

If you want a fun car, go find a 300ZX Z31, drop in a Twin Turbo VK45DE, mod on some coilovers, add a Limited Slip Differential, then that would be one hell of a fun car.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:01 AM

Get a RWD Maxima, that's one 80s Nissan/Datsun worth investing
$$$ into if you're into making a drag car or want mnore *****...

I6

RWD

IRS

4-wheel Disks

5-speed

What else do you need to know? :P
Old 07-19-2006, 11:16 PM

hmm i have the 4 wheel disc and i'll have the 5spd when the transmission takes a dump although i am probally gona get stuck with a slowly dieing transmission. i worked hella over time hours for this pay paeriod already and its still not over, may get some parts but i dont think its any thing major, i am really considering the seats forst because the driver seat is getin way uncomfterable
Old 07-26-2006, 03:27 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the VG30E has the same con rods and crank as the VG30ET and maybe the VG30DETT, but I could be wrong about the DETT.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Alex_V

The rods are very strong, MTcookson found out they are forged. The pistons are cast and are the VG30E's weak point, but still good for about 400-500HP, with good tuning. An NA VG doesnt need any stronger internals.

The rods are similar to the DE and DETT VG, only they are suppose to be a little stronger, and the bushing on the piston end is a little bigger on the DE and DETT. The cranks are all the same except maybe the DETT. The pistons are what are diffrent motor to motor.

As far as the cams, Id say get them, but then also Id get the heads ported a little nothing too much, then get a bigger TB, and get a 5 speed. Theres a 5speed 2ed gen in the local picknpull I can probably get for a good price. Or if you need any 5 speed parts. Trust me getting a 5 speed on there is like adding 30-40HP to your VG as, its the best thing Ive done on my 3rd gen.

~Alex

Old 08-11-2006, 08:23 PM

I think I got lucky with my engine. The block that was put in it by the person who had swapped the engine for a lower mileage one from japan seems to be totally different. I noticed it mainly on the crankshaft where the crank sprocket goes that the timing belt runs on. the part that sticks out, is a couple of inches longer than others I have seen on the engine that belongs in my car (have 2 spare engines at home from other 85/86 maximas). It also has an extra one of those little tabs (or locks, whatever they are called) that keeps the sprocket in place. The people who switched out the engine (for the previous owner) fabricated a metal spacer that goes on it so everything will fit and tighten up fine. Does this mean I have a 300ZX block or possibly a VG30ET block with VG30E internals and everything else? how would I know?
Old 08-14-2006, 02:42 AM

what engine does the nissan maxima 1988 j30 japanese import have in it? does anyone know
Old 08-14-2006, 07:05 PM
I love lamp.

Vg30e.

S
Old 08-31-2006, 09:00 PM

well, i got the pinging to stop finally, how ever the extra cash to get these fancy parts hasnt shown up yet.

i did notice something wit the pinging but i an down on power i think the timing is too retarded still so that should help give it a little more power and stop stumbling when i take off when its cold still when i adjust it....

a couple boots on the rack, few bushings in the control arms, and the cracked exhaust manifold....so far its going to be cheaper to make a set of headers than to get a new manifold so i am gonna do some research on that.

springs and struts are a must aswell....since i'll be in there but at the same time this is stuff i have always been workin on.

got cerimac pads all the way arround so i'll just have to buy some heavier duty rotors as the pads will eat away at them in the next 15,000 miles....so close to fun time