1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

back to square one...again

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 11:21 AM

back to square one...again

The darn problems began to pop up again. It stutters when its cold and I have to warm it up for it to run right. This problem also occurs when it has been turned off for a couple of hours. dangit, what could it be now??
Old 09-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Blown

have you pulled codes? I know the aux air valve cause the problems you are talking about. Also in the trouble shooting in the Haynes it mentions that the air injection system can cause rough start ups if its not working. I do have a factory service manual if you are interested in it...I am selling it.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:41 PM

Thanks, but I have one at home. Where exactly in it would I look to find help to my problem??

BTW I have already changed the air injection valve in my car (my old one was all rusted up)

another question. how do you erase the memory after you have done the self diagnostic?
Old 09-29-2006, 03:46 PM
VGsidestepper

Disconnect the batt for 15 mins.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:25 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

ay cardana how much u askin for with shipping?
Old 09-29-2006, 11:37 PM

i noticed its been cold but mines been fine for starting in the morning, i was messing arround with the idle speed and the BCDD and it seems pretty good, i also played with the distributer a little bit, it was either off a tooth or the crank angle sensor was being funky but its starting right up in the morning and bogs down some but i think its related to my other problem, doesent bog down enough to cause it to be very rough.

how do you check the AIV any way?
Old 09-30-2006, 05:49 PM

how do you modify what the BCDD does??? i saw it in the FSM but couldn't figure out what it was. I have the opposite, It runs fine when hot but bogs down a lot when cold. I actually have to wait for the engine to warm up for it to run right. I am thinking it could either be the air regulator being stuck in the closed position, instead of being open when cold and closed when the engine is hot. It really seems as though something in the vaccuum system is malfunctioning. I don't think it is the idle-up solenoid valve, but I am not sure. I am probably going to have to get a voltage reader and read the resistance of each piece to see if they are within specs. so many things, so little time

I do not know the check procedure for the AIV, but where the small vaccuum hose connects on mine, it was rotted through
Old 09-30-2006, 07:30 PM
still brewin'

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky
The darn problems began to pop up again. It stutters when its cold and I have to warm it up for it to run right. This problem also occurs when it has been turned off for a couple of hours. dangit, what could it be now??
Real damn frustrating aint it. When the Max runs fine, it runs just fine. But it's like, soon as this cold start shat sets in, it's there for good. I've swapped out so many things tryin to get it right, I kinda said f... it, for now. That's what prompted me to get my 5th gen. I can't imagine getting rid of my 2nd gen though. If I do get rid of it, I gotta get another one.

BTW, wasn't it you who changed the injectors before that helped it a bit. That's the only thing I haven't tried yet, but I heard it one of the pieces in the puzzle.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:17 PM

yup thats me, I changed that and the whole upper intake manifold (from a motor I had laying around.)

At least it isn't as bad as before. before it would do this cold start thing and it would stall on me at stoplights, and sometimes just run real crappy. Now I just have this to deal with. I am really starting to think it is the air regulator since it only happens when its cold or has been off for a few hours (The heater in the air regulator is probably cold then). It might be stuck closed when it is supposed to be open. bummer
Old 10-01-2006, 01:31 PM

well i would imagine in up your california its about as cold in the morning here, to adjust the bcdd theres a slotted post you can turn under that rubber nipple thing, weither or not your supposed to turn it is beyond me but i did and it helped some.

other than that it seems to be the aav but i cant figre out that mod so oh well i guess