1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

About to buy 1988 SE limited

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 01:54 AM

About to buy 1988 SE limited

Hey Guys! Been lurking for a few months, trying to get a feel for the car and how it is to own it in the modern day. Just wanted to get your opinion on a potential buy.

So i'm looking to buy my first car and there is this white 1988 SE Limited for $2000.

-118K miles, pretty much a one owner car (had it since 5K)
-5 speed (on its second tranny, first had a 2nd gear grind)
-Fully loaded, everything works
-all around ABS
-Aftermarket suspension (really soft..****ty)
-one factory fog missing
-2 subs in the back
-aftermarket Sound system (don't think there is an amp)
-exterior is mildy rough.
-Does NOT pass smog (scanned code 33 for o2 sensor, owner will get it fixed before sale)

I'm in love with the look of the car. I love the interior. I love old things. I just dont' love the price. Originally I was only going to spend $1800 on this car. But with the O2 sensor going out, the owner said he wouldn't budge below $2K. I'm just not sure its worth it.

I test drove the car. The gearbox feels very unrefined. is this normal? Its tough to judge because I haven't driven many stick cars. I drove an audi, and they all shift like butter. A Mercedes 240D, felt fine. The Max just felt a bit rough.

I'm on a budget, so is owning this car expensive? Parts hard to find? I live in San Jose CA. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:30 AM

forgot to mention.

Inside the engine bay:

-There was discoloration from the radiator cap. it looked like burnt coolant. I asked him if there was a coolant leak. he said no..I'll have to ask again about this.

- The battery tray (don't know the official name) was rusted. Is this a big deal? I know any rust is bad. Is it easy to find a replacement?
Old 01-20-2014, 05:25 PM

nearly any old stickshift is gonna feel notchy compared to newer cars, thats normal. dont know what you mean is up with the rad, but worst case the rad isnt too bad to replace. battery tray isnt a big deal, overall with the o2 sensors i would try and jew him down a little bit below 2 grand still
Old 01-21-2014, 12:06 PM

Notchy! thats the word I was looking for. Okay good to know. I tried to go to 1800, but since he's fixing the O2 sensor he is demanding 2K. I love how the car looks. I think i'm just gonna go for it. thanks man.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:58 PM

if hes doing the o2 sensors thats fair enough then. i dont think ive owned a older vehicle that didnt have a notchy trans, as long as theres minimal to no grinding its fine
Old 01-21-2014, 07:14 PM

Just as a comparison, I bought mine 6 years ago, 121K on the clock, 5-speed NOT notchy, most SE options...for $1100. I've put a starter, alternator, water pump, and clutch master in her...that's been it, besides plugs/wires/dizzy/rotor.

She's at 194K now, happy as a pig in poop...
Old 01-21-2014, 07:45 PM

should have mentioned better ask when he did the timing belt last, VG are interference engines
Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 PM

Timing belt was done at 90K along with water pump.

I realize my price is super high, but I feel like that has to do with where I live. I'm in the silicon Valley, and EVERYTHING is inflated. Rent, cars, food, etc. Its definitely high though. I would be much happier with 1600, but he won't budge and there aren't any other cars on the market atm.

Seabob, I noticed you mentioned changing the transmission oil and noticing a positive result. also that you did some sound upgrades. I may have some questions for you if this goes through...
Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 PM

only thing i'll mention in relation to the trans is use only GL-4 gear oil. has to be GL-4 only, if it says GL-4 and GL-5 compatible on the bottle it wont work. GL-5 has stuff in it that will wreck the brass in your synchros

Redline GL-4 is good stuff, had some random grinds and other stuff in my Hardbody and switching to Redline cleared it up
Old 01-22-2014, 05:33 AM

While I won't disagree with Chrome in relation to GL-4/GL-5 specs, I WILL say I've noticed no issues in the 65K or so miles I've put on her since I changed gear lube. Not knowing the spec difference at the time, I did my research (Redline, Amsoil, Lucas, Royal Purple, etc.) and decided on Royal Purple Max-Gear 75W-90 full synth, which is a GL-4/GL-5 oil. Not cheap, around $15/qt IIRC, but I've been very happy with it. I've heard/read great stuff about Redline, so that's my take...

As far as sounds, I am an Infinity speaker guy. Kappa series, just a bit more $ than Reference series. VERY efficient speakers, so not a lot of power needed (although I do have a big amp) to make them sound good. A pretty basic Kenwood HU takes care of music choices, the ipod plug is on the front face but that doesn't bother me. The key to good sound is your speakers...
Old 02-03-2014, 03:39 PM

Hey Guys,

Little Update:

So he got the O2 sensor fixed, but it still didn't pass. Should I just move on at this point? What are the most probable causes of failed smogs? I thought maybe he was running catless because his kid put an exhaust on it and it smelled like it had no cat. He said it does still have the cat. Any reasons the smog would fail? I'm not too experienced with cars.

Also, do you guys use Premium on your cars? I heard the rings/seals don't like cheap gas.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:22 PM

for gas you just need to run 87, old VGs wont ping with 87. the ring and seal thing depends on where you get gas from, some places wont put ethanol in their 91 or higher octane. ethanol is what chews up your injector O-rings and such. up here in Canada Shell and Esso dont put ethanol in their 91 so thats why i run 91 in all of my stuff. if you can get 87 without ethanol where you are thats fine

do you know what aspect is failing smog? no emissions control where i am so i dont know what they all do and test, but you need to find which emission chemical is out of spec
Old 02-03-2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
for gas you just need to run 87, old VGs wont ping with 87. the ring and seal thing depends on where you get gas from, some places wont put ethanol in their 91 or higher octane. ethanol is what chews up your injector O-rings and such. up here in Canada Shell and Esso dont put ethanol in their 91 so thats why i run 91 in all of my stuff. if you can get 87 without ethanol where you are thats fine

do you know what aspect is failing smog? no emissions control where i am so i dont know what they all do and test, but you need to find which emission chemical is out of spec
Thanks for the gas info.

No I don't know whats going on with the smog. I'm buying from the second owner and he's currently getting it smogged. he just updated me and told me it still didn't pass despite o2 sensor. Said he's gonna take it to his mechanic and get it checked out.

I'm in CA, so our emissions are pretty strict. if it doesn't pass again, I'm gonna go for a honda
Old 02-03-2014, 05:13 PM

isnt 25 years old or older smog exempt in Cali?
Old 02-03-2014, 05:31 PM

isnt 25 years old or older smog exempt in Cali?
They changed the law a few years ago. 1975 or older is smog exempt.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:58 PM

How is owning a 2nd gen?

This probably isn't the best place to ask this, but I'm wondering if its a good choice for me to buy this car.

My concerns:
-hard/expensive to find parts
-expensive work
-gas

The guy finally got the car to pass smog. But now I'm wondering if I should just go buy a cheap honda that will be cheap to own.

Do you guys love this car? how has owning a 2nd gen been for you in regards to your wallet?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:46 PM

theyre good cars. parts arent hard to find at all especially drivetrain parts, VG30E were used in alot of Nissan vehicles.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:04 PM

Got it! Thanks for all your helps guys.

Turns out the rough idle/smog fail was due to the ECU being in Test Mode.

Drove it home today, expect many questions from me. I'm a car noob and this is the first car i've ever bought!

https://gm1.ggpht.com/qO_pt_ssGOgz4T...w1168-h762-l75
Old 02-13-2014, 02:07 PM

post some pics! post whatever questions etc in this thread as well or whatever, i poke in from time to time
Old 02-13-2014, 02:37 PM

post some pics! post whatever questions etc in this thread as well or whatever, i poke in from time to time
i'll make a seperate post after i clean it up
Old 02-13-2014, 03:56 PM

Stones. Check out the thread about the one posted on eBay! It's in pristine condition like it just rolled off the assembly line. Current bid $1000.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Stones. Check out the thread about the one posted on eBay! It's in pristine condition like it just rolled off the assembly line. Current bid $1000.
I already bought mine

I overpaid big time and I'm aware of that. But I wanted a 5 speed. Thats a nice car though! Wonder what the reserve it
Old 02-14-2014, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
its got a reserve though and biddings already at $2500, guys probably got the big at 5 grand or something
Old 02-14-2014, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Stones
This probably isn't the best place to ask this, but I'm wondering if its a good choice for me to buy this car.

My concerns:
-hard/expensive to find parts
-expensive work
-gas

The guy finally got the car to pass smog. But now I'm wondering if I should just go buy a cheap honda that will be cheap to own.

Do you guys love this car? how has owning a 2nd gen been for you in regards to your wallet?
Stones, check out my post #6...that should answer your question...
Old 02-15-2014, 05:58 PM
Chassis Freak

Definitely buy synthetic Redline or Amsoil gear oil (with proper GL number)--Redline made a huge difference over stock/dino oil in my 4th gen. Much better shifting in cooler weather too. Enjoy the car, those are classics!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:05 PM

yep has to be GL-4 ONLY gear oil, cant be GL-4 and GL-5 certified. only GL-4. as far as i know AmsOil, RedLine, and Royal Purple still make GL-4 only oil
Old 02-16-2014, 04:55 PM

yep has to be GL-4 ONLY gear oil, cant be GL-4 and GL-5 certified. only GL-4. as far as i know AmsOil, RedLine, and Royal Purple still make GL-4 only oil
Chrome...so my gearbox, which shifts like a dream, doesn't know that the RP GL-4/GL-5 is bad for it? After, like, 50K miles?

No offense sir, but either I have a VERY special gearbox, or someone is blowin smoke...
Old 02-16-2014, 08:06 PM

all depends on the content, some GL-4/GL-5 oils will still have enough sulfur content to damage brass synchronizers. i know lots of Hardbody guys that ran GL-4/GL-5 oil and it destroyed their synchros, just speaking from experience. personally in all of my old stuff its not even worth risking needing a new trans or a rebuild so i run GL-4 only
Old 02-17-2014, 07:03 PM

all depends on the content, some GL-4/GL-5 oils will still have enough sulfur content to damage brass synchronizers. i know lots of Hardbody guys that ran GL-4/GL-5 oil and it destroyed their synchros, just speaking from experience. personally in all of my old stuff its not even worth risking needing a new trans or a rebuild so i run GL-4 only
Duly noted...
Old 02-18-2014, 02:46 PM

Maybe they didn't want to admit that they were bad drivers

for real though, I'm stressing out hardcore over downshifting. I have yet to master the doubleclutch and my heart sinks everytime I downshift. it kills me inside. I'll post pics very soon!
Old 02-19-2014, 06:33 PM

I downshift at every slowdown/stop...EVERY one!! The key is matching the speed with what you know your engine turns at. You don't want to be downshifting from 5th to 4th when you're at, say, 60, a little brake, now at 55, that's gonna put your revs from 2500 up to 3500...no, no, no, without using the throttle to bump the revs up (speed match).

Unless I'm running hard (like I used to do with the Scirocco), brake as you slow down, then, when the speed equals the usual gear, downshift. The revs will jump a bit (say 250 to 500), totally normal, and excellent on the drive train.

I have probably 1/2 a million miles driving German and Jap 5-speeds, haven't had a single clutch or tranny failure yet. And I used to drive the Scirocco pretty hard!! She was modded, topped out at a radar 138 only turning 5200 thanks to a purpose-built 6-speed by the Z-Doctors in Winter Park...
Old 02-20-2014, 09:02 PM

My original 5 spd Hardbody went down somewhere around 300K miles and it was a bearing that failed....
Old 02-24-2014, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by seabob4
I downshift at every slowdown/stop...EVERY one!! The key is matching the speed with what you know your engine turns at. You don't want to be downshifting from 5th to 4th when you're at, say, 60, a little brake, now at 55, that's gonna put your revs from 2500 up to 3500...no, no, no, without using the throttle to bump the revs up (speed match).
Wait...you're saying to rev match here right?

Okay. So i've been driving a while and I can rev match decently now (always double clutch). But what you're saying is that when i'm braking to a deadstop I can just downshift as I'm braking? like..Downshift below 2K and I don't need to worry about revmatching? I used to do that in my friends Mercedes 240D. but when i do it now, its a bit lurchy. does that just mean i have to wait for the RPMs to drop even more? won't this put stress on the synchros/gears?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:30 PM

i double clutch if im racing or whatever but otherwise for city driving i never do. if im going to a red light i just coast in neutral and if it goes green i go into 2nd. other thing is never go into 1st gear moving
Old 02-24-2014, 05:40 PM

Here's what I do in the Max. Decelerating from, let's say 60 MPH. Brake until 45 MPM, then downshift to 4th. Still braking, when I reach 35, downshift to 3rd. Around 20 MPH, into 2nd.

No problems, the speeds were a little different with the Scirocco, but the concept the same. Did the same on the ex-wife's old Chevy Sprint 5-speed. Easily over 500K miles between the 3 with no tranny issues whatsoever.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:41 PM

i double clutch if im racing or whatever but otherwise for city driving i never do. if im going to a red light i just coast in neutral and if it goes green i go into 2nd. other thing is never go into 1st gear moving
yeah thats what i do for city driving as well. i meant double clutch when i'm going at speed from 5th to 4th or 4th to 3rd. and thanks for the advice, i so far have only been letting it out in 2nd when i'm slowed to around 15 then i hit neutral and stop.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:12 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by seabob4
Here's what I do in the Max. Decelerating from, let's say 60 MPH. Brake until 45 MPM, then downshift to 4th. Still braking, when I reach 35, downshift to 3rd. Around 20 MPH, into 2nd.

No problems, the speeds were a little different with the Scirocco, but the concept the same. Did the same on the ex-wife's old Chevy Sprint 5-speed. Easily over 500K miles between the 3 with no tranny issues whatsoever.
That seems unnecessary and will put a lot more wear on your clutch and tranny. You can claim you're so good that you rev-match perfectly every time, but no matter what in my book you're putting extra wear on the drivetrain. You can't be perfect every time. Only situation where I do that is if I think there's a good chance I'll need to accelerate (light turns green) or if I'm going down a steep hill and want the engine engaged in a low gear just in case.

When I'm coming to stop from highway speeds, I often go down to 1200 RPM (where ECU starts idle in the 4th gen) and then shift from 5th to neutral. Works just fine with less work and wear then 5-4, 4-3, 3-2. But to each his own--that's part of the fun of a stick shift!
Old 03-01-2014, 06:52 PM

Vquick, the concept of "Engine Braking", and a quote from Wiki's definition...

In almost all cases, it is active when the foot is lifted off the accelerator, the transmission is not in neutral, the clutch is engaged and a freewheel is not engaged. Using frequent engine braking while changing down gears may cause higher than normal wear on clutch plates if the driver uses the poor gear-changing technique of slipping the clutch to raise the engine's rpm to match the transmission speed, instead of rev-matching using the throttle. This is in contrast to "conventional" braking where the engine's rpm is already reduced prior to the downshift.
Note how the second phrase is exactly as I described my technique. The down shift at the proper speed, I can feel the engine slow the car. My Dad taught me this many moons ago. I have had 2 tranny failures in 37 years of driving. A 1977 Olds Delta and a 1990 Ford Taurus...both automatics.

I'm not saying that my method is the "best" way or even the worst way. What I am saying is that it has worked for me, my stick cars have seemed to enjoy it, and the only thing I have ever done to (5) 5-speed vehicles is change the gear oil...oh, and a slave cylinder and clutch master on the Max. No clutches, no throw-out bearings, no pressure plates, no synchros.

While I appreciate the concerns brought up, well, you know the old saying...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Chassis Freak

I'm arguing on a theoretical basis, as I do not see a real benefit from downshifting 5-4, 4-3, 3-2 every time you slow from >40 MPH to a stop. It sounds like you are shifting literally twice as much as I do, since I only shift sequentially while accelerating, and you do it while accelerating and decelerating.

If you're really good at RPM matching and double clutching (and I imagine you are), the increase in clutch wear will be very slight. However, with every shift you are putting wear on the gearbox and synchros too, and you are making your engine do more revolutions since you're in 2nd gear where I'm still in 5th. Obviously every single revolution of the engine adds a minute amount of wear, and that adds up. Your brakes will get less wear, but your engine, tranny, and clutch will get more. Brakes are designed to slow down the car and are relatively cheap and easy to replace, so why baby them?

That's my view, but as I said, if you are doing it because that's the way you were taught and you enjoy it, that may be reason enough.

Last edited by VQuick; 03-14-2014 at 11:16 AM.