1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Probably a longshot but i need help fixing after some idiocy

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 01:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Probably a longshot but i need help fixing after some idiocy

So, I left the headlights on and drained my battery, I'm pretty sure it had to have been fully drained as when i went to have someone jump it I wasn't paying any atttention and put the cables on in the wrong order and I'm 99% certain i reversed the polarity on the battery and fried some stuff. The box with fusible links to the right of the positive post on battery(box is attached to that wall there on the driverside,) was smoking. One of the fuses/fusible links definitely looks as though it was blown and I had a spare in the glove box. It is one of the green ones, I believe they are 30amp. It is part of the ignition circuit. When i try to start the car now I blow my 10A engine control fuse located in the fusebox underneath steering wheel. From what I can tell reading the box and my haynes manual it is also part of the ignition circuit. I've replaced it several times after and it blows everytime. When i turn the key I hear a noise about mid way down the length of the car on drivers side. I believe its the fuel pump so I don't think its the culprit. I tried swapping checking on some other stuff after and there is a green/orange to white fusible link directly attached to the ground cable for the battery. It was really hot, nothing else around it was. Does anyone know wtf this thing is called? I can't find a replacement, and even if I do could this be the culprit? Like literally nothing comes on when i try to turn the key other than what i suspect is the fuel pump. It can't be like the full electrical system afaik all that **** runs on separate circuits. Also my headlights turn on and off. Any insight would be appreciated. I've had the car of less than two weeks and already I'm destroying things lol. I'm also not mechanically adept if you can't tell.
Old 05-28-2021, 02:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I could still use any insight, especially from anyone who has experienced anything similar, but I believe its going to be one of two. I've found the OE replacement part on ebay and a few other websites listed as 24022-84M60. Its the link i listed in original post thats connected to the ground/negative battery cable. Theres one other link that fits into a fuse slot for the ignition switch also described above. It looks like if its that I just buy the wire and replace it myself. I have two of those, and I'm borrowing a meter to check for continuity on them both tomorrow.

Last edited by kingrager; 05-28-2021 at 02:08 PM. Reason: na