3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

RE: VTC's, I called Courtesy Nissan and...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002 | 06:43 AM

RE: VTC's, I called Courtesy Nissan and...

I actually forgot to mention I am a member of Maxima.org and he quoted me 575 each for new VTC, I was like maxima.org said you have em for 365.56, he said oh you have to tell them you are with maxima.org.

But anyway, I was wondering what else do I need to do or what else I need to purchase. I am going to call them back soon and order the two new VTC's. I was wondering from the people that know about these and have replaced them is there anything else I should buy or do.

Thanks, I appreciate any help.

By the way I called my local Nissan dealer this morning and talked to a technician and he said he is absolutely sure it is VTC's.
Old 07-26-2002 | 08:21 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: RE: VTC's, I called Courtesy Nissan and...

Originally posted by 92MaxiSe5sp
I actually forgot to mention I am a member of Maxima.org and he quoted me 575 each for new VTC, I was like maxima.org said you have em for 365.56, he said oh you have to tell them you are with maxima.org.

But anyway, I was wondering what else do I need to do or what else I need to purchase. I am going to call them back soon and order the two new VTC's. I was wondering from the people that know about these and have replaced them is there anything else I should buy or do.

Thanks, I appreciate any help.

By the way I called my local Nissan dealer this morning and talked to a technician and he said he is absolutely sure it is VTC's.
Just to make sure its the VTCs look at craigs paige and ground them and see if the noise goes away. If it does then you have a vtc problem.

I believe Matt posted the parts you need or just call and ask them...they should know.

Good luck.

craigs page
Old 07-26-2002 | 11:01 AM

Thanks for the link, If I do ground them and the noise does go away why don't I just keep them rewired? Would there be any long term affect in rewiring them, probably not. I am going to try rewiring them tonight hopefully, I will let you guys know.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2002 | 03:52 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Thanks for the link, If I do ground them and the noise does go away why don't I just keep them rewired? Would there be any long term affect in rewiring them, probably not. I am going to try rewiring them tonight hopefully, I will let you guys know.

Thanks
Well I wouldn't keep them re wired because its not meant to be that way. I dont know if there would be any long term problems but it could break and destroy your engine.
Old 07-26-2002 | 04:06 PM

I'll assume you're replacing them without removing the heads. PLEASE make sure you have a good repair manual that tells you how to time the engine to Top Dead Center and how to mark the VTC sprockets when you remove them. You'll also have to take off the exhaust cam sprockets for clearance. IF you get the chain one notch off when you reassemble it, it will either A) run VERY poorly or B) hit the intake valves into the pistons. The best way you can avoid this is to rotate the engine by hand using a socket on the crank pulley and make sure it goes around smmothly and the timing marks are all lining up.

Now that I'e said that, you will need an intake plenum gasket ($5), some liquid gasket (Nissan makes their own kind, but stuff just as good can be found at any auto parts store), some white-out to make marks before you removet he sprockets from the chain, and a big adjustable wrench (12"- to hold the camshaft while you break loose the sprockets). Other than that it's pretty easy. You won't even have to drain the oil and coolant.

I replaced my VTCs about 10K miles ago (I took my heads off and everything, mostly to fix some broken off exhaust studs) and mine are running VERY quietly and smoothly. I still have the hesitation (aka heat soak) problem which I think is the knock sensor going bad on me.

Ask away if you have any more questions.
Old 07-27-2002 | 04:32 AM

Re: RE: VTC's, I called Courtesy Nissan and...

Which dealer did you go to? I'm also in NE Ohio, and haven't had real good luck with any of the service departments around here. Thanks, and good luck with the VTC's.
Old 07-27-2002 | 06:21 AM

Thanks RosenKen

For the help, for right now I just did the rewire on my front solenoid. I called and talked to kaleb at courtesy and he said there is no long term affect at all with doing that rewire.

Maybe down the road when I get some money I will put it back the way it is suppose to be.

Dave S:

I went to a dealer in mogadore, ohio wholesale or something like that. I bought the car for only 2200, I thought you coulkdnt beat it, I mean a 92 Nissan Max SE 5 speed with all the trimmings and only 89700 miles, I think I got a great deal.

The only dealer I talked to was Tri City Nissan on tallmadge ave in Tallmadge, they wanted 2500 to do the repair and replace, OUCH!!
No way am I willing to pay that much, forget it!!
Old 07-27-2002 | 09:37 AM

Re: Re: RE: VTC's, I called Courtesy Nissan and...

Originally posted by Dave S

Which dealer did you go to? I'm also in NE Ohio, and haven't had real good luck with any of the service departments around here. Thanks, and good luck with the VTC's.
you guys are in OH? i go to BGSU u should make the next pa-maximas.com meet! i would say "i'll swing by and we can show each other our cars" but mine is on it's way to texas