3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Search NOT working, door lock timer repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 08:27 AM

Search NOT working, door lock timer repair

Heya everyone,

First off, search is NOT working, it keeps saying "Document contains no data"
Second, my locks are acting up, and I was checking out all the threads about them a couple months ago, but I can't remember.
I think my problem is my ignition switch, since the locks pop up immediately after it's locked, I can't lock it from the inside, only from the outside with a key. They lock fine from the passenger side, but from the driver side, ALL the locks need to be up or it won't lock.
Now, I just remove my lock timer yesterday, because I was sick of messing with them everytime I go to work, so here's what I've noticed:
When the doors are locked, the relay on the timer clicks twice, once when it locks, and once when it unlocks. Now, does this mean the relay should be replaced, or should I wait until I have the $120 and a free weekend to replace my ignition switch and see if that works?
Old 07-27-2002, 01:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

From what I remember (and I have to check my locks someday too) is you can open up the timer and re-solder any cracked or questionable looking solder joints. Sometimes this fixes problems, sometimes not. Not all problems are because of the timer, but people assume they are because they seem common. Also, remember that the relay only clicks in response to what position the locks are in and that doesn't really tell you anything. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Bman
From what I remember (and I have to check my locks someday too) is you can open up the timer and re-solder any cracked or questionable looking solder joints. Sometimes this fixes problems, sometimes not. Not all problems are because of the timer, but people assume they are because they seem common. Also, remember that the relay only clicks in response to what position the locks are in and that doesn't really tell you anything. Good luck.
<chuckle> I forgot to mention that, all the joints look fine, none of the caps are broken, only noticable thing is the clicking of the relay, which is actually pretty loud in comparison to other relays, and I know the clicking has been addressed in the past... I hope the search function starts working again!
And I never noticed it clicking that loud before... DOesn't mean it DIDN'T, but I don't remember it doing it.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This sounds like my problem. My boy just bought a 92 Maxima wih 50k miles all original. GXE auto. He has some weird gremlins with the alarm. Sometimes it will be going off and he cannot get it to go off and start the car. We thought it was because he didn't have the original remotes. We bought this: 2101L Avital 1-Way Vehicle Keyless Entry System but still its not working. Only the trunk works. The installer said you need a lock timer. So I bought 7 of these 1990-1996 Nissan 300zx door lock timer module 28451 F9901. The installer tried all 7 and none of them helped. Has anyone had this problem. I don't even know what to call it other than lock issue. The main lock switch also doesn't work manually. We doing care about the inside locks. Just to get a remote keyless entry to work would be great. The car has low mileage and would like to keep I around as long as possible. Thanks any help is much appreciated. Cannot open door locks. Plus have to manually lock all doors. Trunk is only item that works 100%. Locking and unlocking the doors with the supplied avital emotes sometimes works but that's like 1% of the time. We also changed the ignition the part where the key goes in. So we have one to start the car and the other key is for the doors. Is the fact I changed my ignition messing up the locks? Are they connected?
Old 06-14-2018, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by bluetii
So we have one to start the car and the other key is for the doors. Is the fact I changed my ignition messing up the locks? Are they connected?
I dont know for sure but iirc there IS a difference in ignition key assemblies.
maybe door handle keypad(gxe) vs no keypad entry (se) since the keypad can unlock the doors id lookup your cars part# vs the donor cars on a site where you can shop factory/dealer parts maybe courtesynissanparts com

also these cars never came with keyless remote entry originally so if you have an add on alarm (avital etc.) it is known on this site to unplug the factory alarm box labeled "theft control" its under/next to the steering column(best to remove the knee panel)there is a way to have both alarms but must be hooked up correct,(if wrong then "lets say" you push the lock button or push the lock **** down or close trunk last,that arms factory alarm then you press lock button on add-on remote)(both are armed now)then to get back in you only press unlock on add on remote the horn honks(factory alarm was not dis armed by key in doors or trunk and starter kill is on until you do)