3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How bad is NOS for your car????

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2000, 06:22 PM
visions-kru

I know that NOS increases horsepower by a lot...but is it worth it....does it really **** up your car? what do u think?......how much does NOS go for $$$???

Old 12-11-2000, 06:27 PM
Foo90SE

Its definetly not good for it
I wouldnt stick it on a high-milage motor really either.
Just make sure u dont accidently fill the cylinders with NOS BEFORE cranking...unless u want to blow the heads off your engine
Installed right and used properly it'll just take a little life of your motor.
Your trannie...thats another story. If its an orignal automatic not modified..i wouldnt suggest it.
I dont know how the manuals hold up to it...id guess better than autos tho.
Dont know about prices tho.

Old 12-11-2000, 06:40 PM
visions-kru

i got 108,000 miles on my car....and its and auto. im planning on gettin a new car in about a year...so should i consider gettin NOS, or should i not even think about it?

Old 12-11-2000, 06:47 PM
Foo90SE

Hmm...really up to you....
I think the 94' trannies are better than the other autos so itd be up to you if u want to risk it. I wouldnt go over a 50 shot tho. If you arnt going to try to re-sell the car and run it to the ground, i say have fun but if you plan on reselling it for a good amount...id stay away from it.
Plus if u blow trannie/motor you'll end up having to fix it to get a decent amount of money back out of it.
So...what I would do is get a 50 shot, and use it occationally. Or id at least TRY to only use it occationally hehe.

Old 12-11-2000, 07:19 PM
travis88lude

nos

well "chris92gxe" and i put a 75 shot of nos on his 92 max about 4-5 months ago and we have seen no problems with his engine yet. and i dont think we are going to or they would have happened already. we even shot it with the engine off on accident and started the car and no prob. that max is one hell of a beast let me tell you. the only prob with his car is the god damn tranny. which was rebuilt like 8 time before he even had nos. so thats a little personal experience. chris would probably be able to give you more detailed info on what to do or not to do though.

Old 12-11-2000, 08:40 PM

i had a 92 se 5 spd
with a 50 shot
and 116k+ miles when i put it on
never had any problems what so ever, and the cool thing is the car ran better on motor alone then it did before the nitrous
i took it off around 160k miles so it had some miles on nitrous
not one problem ever out of it
Old 12-11-2000, 10:33 PM

Yep like travis88lude said Ive had the NOS and had no problems with it. I definitely think that its the best mod for the money. If its hooked up correctly you can expect about 1 sec shaved off your 1/4 mile time for around $550. Now I havent seen a mod for that amount of money have you. I'm steping my system up to about a 75shot wet system. I'm hoping to have the car running in the mid 13's. Deffinitely possible. I hope all goes well with my tranny conversion first.
Old 12-12-2000, 04:43 AM

Originally posted by chris92gxe
Yep like travis88lude said Ive had the NOS and had no problems with it. I definitely think that its the best mod for the money. If its hooked up correctly you can expect about 1 sec shaved off your 1/4 mile time for around $550. Now I havent seen a mod for that amount of money have you. I'm steping my system up to about a 75shot wet system. I'm hoping to have the car running in the mid 13's. Deffinitely possible. I hope all goes well with my tranny conversion first.
Why would you want to get a wet kit with only 75 shot??? My Zex kit is adjustable from 55-75 shot and its a dry kit. I personally would get the import fogger kit or pro fogger. If you are going to spend the cash on a wet kit, might as well get a good one. Just make sure you dont run that kit on your stock fuel pump. Also you may want to consider forged rods/pistons.
Old 12-12-2000, 07:25 AM

I already have a 75 shot fogger kit. The wet kit is so much more effecient and you get better gains. The fuel is mixed with the NOS before being injected. I wanna get the most out of the car without getting the entire engine rebuilt. I just decided that it wasnt worth it to do it to a max. My max will never be as fast as I want on my budget so I'm gonna step up to a real sports car. And if you guys dont know, its safer to run a wet kit on your car. And with the same shot kits, your car will run a lot faster and more effiecient with a wet kit. If anyone wants my fogger kit I am willing to sell it.
Old 12-12-2000, 08:29 AM

I already have a 75 shot fogger kit. The wet kit is so much more effecient and you get better gains. The fuel is mixed with the NOS before being injected. I wanna get the most out of the car without getting the entire engine rebuilt. I just decided that it wasnt worth it to do it to a max. My max will never be as fast as I want on my budget so I'm gonna step up to a real sports car. And if you guys dont know, its safer to run a wet kit on your car. And with the same shot kits, your car will run a lot faster and more effiecient with a wet kit. If anyone wants my fogger kit I am willing to sell it.
I know what you mean about budget.. Major mods to our 3rd Gen's cost bookoo bucks. I should have gotten that Grand National that I originally wanted to get. Would have been easy to get that car in the 12's. Oh well.
Old 12-12-2000, 02:10 PM
hittin89gxe

after gettin beat by the civic..........

one of my freinds was working on his 5.0 and while it was down we installed the NOS on my maxima with a custom adapter we made out of aluminum tubing. Keep in mind my transmission was rebuilt and so is the motor but we put in the 200 horse jets. I smoked the civic (with alot of wheelspin) but beat him nonetheless. since I only used it once i had no problems. Now im gonna order the same system for my max and run it at like 125 shot just in case .

Old 12-12-2000, 02:24 PM

125 shot on a stock bottom end vg maxima?
bhaaaaaaaaaa
have fun
don't call me when you gernade it
Old 12-12-2000, 03:06 PM

Yeah a 125 shot is gonna get you in trouble. A 75shot is really cutting it close on stock internals, thats why most guys stick to a 50 shot. If you got the money I say get some forged pistons and rods and get new fuel pump and stage 10 tranny and you can run that 200shot all day. If you find a way to get some traction you'll be good for some 11's. Dont expect your tranny or engine to last long on a stock 125shot though.
Old 12-12-2000, 11:16 PM

your engine is going to be so dead....

Originally posted by hittin89gxe
one of my freinds was working on his 5.0 and while it was down we installed the NOS on my maxima with a custom adapter we made out of aluminum tubing. Keep in mind my transmission was rebuilt and so is the motor but we put in the 200 horse jets. I smoked the civic (with alot of wheelspin) but beat him nonetheless. since I only used it once i had no problems. Now im gonna order the same system for my max and run it at like 125 shot just in case .
Unless you get a higher flow fuel pump and injectors don't even try it. Well now if its a direct port kit you still need a hi flow fuel pump. In the meantime start looking for another engine yoru gonna need it.
Old 12-13-2000, 06:33 AM
hittin89gxe

engine is rebuilt

the motor has forged pistons and some GM rods out of like a 3.1 litre motor. I had the same shop build it that built my NOS motor for my trans am. plus I have an old holley blue fuel pump running fuel to the NOS system. The tranny id out of a 94 and has been built by a guy with the same tranny running 12's on NOS in his max.

Old 12-14-2000, 06:32 AM

Re: engine is rebuilt

Originally posted by hittin89gxe
the motor has forged pistons and some GM rods out of like a 3.1 litre motor. I had the same shop build it that built my NOS motor for my trans am. plus I have an old holley blue fuel pump running fuel to the NOS system. The tranny id out of a 94 and has been built by a guy with the same tranny running 12's on NOS in his max.
GM rods, WTH?? You probably didn't know this but you could/should have ran OEM rods. The VG30DETT rods are pretty strong and will take about 500-600hp easily. I'm sure they are cheaper too. Also the crankshaft is forged from the factor in the VG30DETT and bolts into our VG30E with no problems.
Old 12-14-2000, 07:15 AM
hittin89gxe

the guy at the shop....

the guy at the motor shop said that the rods in the maxima were strong but the 3.1 rods were a little lighter and just as strong. this way i can rev the motor a little higher without worrying as much of a rod or piston failure. I dunno what type/ or the specs of cam they put in but he also said i would make a little more power at the higher RPM's so the rods were just an insurance policy. However my motor is still inhibited by the rev limiter at around 6,300. How do I raise the limiter? would a new ECU be the best way? I also have a 160 degree thermostat and a custom ram air setup.

Old 12-23-2000, 01:27 PM
DavidMaxum

The wet kit maybe a good idea for some other vehicles but for most fuel injected cars the intake plenums were not designed to carry fuel into the combustion chambers. In some instances the cold intake plenum could attract gasoline while the N2O proceeded to your combustion chamber causing a lean condition. This is grounds for detonation. Although it may be an unlikely situation it is an extremely dangerous possibility. What kind of fogger kit do you have now. I would be willing to buy it.

Old 12-23-2000, 06:48 PM

The NOS kit I have is a single fogger system made by NOS. Its supposed to be sdjustible up to 80hp. Ive only run about 2 bottles on the kit itself since my tranny had been acting up for the past year. If you want it we can try to make a deal. I payed $600 for it new. I dont expect that much now though. I'll work out something with you. Drop me an e-mail or something. Thanks, Chris