3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

In need of a GOOD estimate

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 09:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In need of a GOOD estimate

I'm lookin to get some body work done and a paint job. I've gotten so many various offers that its becoming a pain to look for the best price. Some say that any paint job under $2k isn't gonna be very good and i've gotten a quote from Maaco(sp?) that their best paint job and body work will be around $650 with a 3 or 5 year warranty! and thats to paint the entire (outside only i'm thinkin) and the body work. I don't think that i've found a place that was gonna charge me more than 2k and i've been lookin around for months. I live in Houston so are the prices just gonna be lower that the norm or what? Should i just get a credit card and go to the dealership? If anyone in the Houston area who has gotten a paint job, let me know how things came out where you went and any other recent bodyshop experiences from other places.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:06 AM

Re: In need of a GOOD estimate

Originally posted by Mike92GXE
I'm lookin to get some body work done and a paint job. I've gotten so many various offers that its becoming a pain to look for the best price. Some say that any paint job under $2k isn't gonna be very good and i've gotten a quote from Maaco(sp?) that their best paint job and body work will be around $650 with a 3 or 5 year warranty! and thats to paint the entire (outside only i'm thinkin) and the body work. I don't think that i've found a place that was gonna charge me more than 2k and i've been lookin around for months. I live in Houston so are the prices just gonna be lower that the norm or what? Should i just get a credit card and go to the dealership? If anyone in the Houston area who has gotten a paint job, let me know how things came out where you went and any other recent bodyshop experiences from other places.
Maaco sucks.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: In need of a GOOD estimate

Originally posted by Brave Ulysses

Maaco sucks.

Thats the word on the street around here too. Some people swear by it some say after 2 runs through the car wash you'll be goin back
Old 07-31-2002, 10:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: In need of a GOOD estimate

Dealerships usually give top notch results..but they don't always do the work themselves..find out where they take insurance claims for epair and get a direct quote from them. My friend got t-boned in a parking lot..it was his turbo GSR civic. Damage was extensive. Took it to a honda dealer and the results were amazing!. I have a pretty sharp eye for bodywork. It's one of those things that if you don't know what to look for, you might be happy, but won't notice the mistakes until pointed out to you. They had to replace the drivers door, cut and weld a sill and the rear quarter panel..FLAWLESS. No wled seams, paint or overspray. I vowed to take my car there when it's time for paint. Sounds like you shopped around, but have them show you some repairs in progress, ask them about their prep procedures, and look at finished work. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:52 PM

yeah, your insurance company should be able to recommed a few good places. if you do go macco, get an extra few coats of clear and then buff them down to they are even. my parents got macco when we were selling our old datsun several years ago. it's good for a quick sell, but not to keep; overspray everywhere.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:59 PM

"Maaco, when you absolutely must have a paint job even if you can't afford it!"
Old 07-31-2002, 01:21 PM

Maaco is cheap unless you get the base coat clear coat. if you dont get that then they use enamle which they just paint over it but where there are dents to be fixed they sand down to the metal other than that i think they just sand the clear coat off not 100% sure though and the problem with that is it has potential to leave what they call and orange peel look to it. of course a base coat clear coat is the best but if you cant afford it then go with the maaco job. Its not that bad but its deffinately not the best. Maaco quoted my car at $960 and for the base coat clear coat $1500! Then there is a better body shop that quoted me $1800-1900 and they are really good. they already repainted my 2 front fenders and hood when i got in my accident 3 years ago and it looked good! If money is an issue i would go with the maaco with a 4 year warranty! thats just me
Old 07-31-2002, 01:24 PM

read my sig`

Originally posted by male
"Maaco, when you absolutely must have a paint job even if you can't afford it!"