3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Chevron fuel injector cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 08:01 PM

Chevron fuel injector cleaner?

First, YES I have searched for it, but was still unable to find what I am looking for.

That out of the way, the problem is that my car is rough at idle and has lost some power. I changed a lot of stuff but the problem is still there. After some diagnostics, I was told that 3 of my injectors are pretty bad. Of course I could just fix them but it's kinda expensive and I do not have that kind of money right now. Anyways on to the question, what I wanna know is whether the Chevron with Techron (concentrate) fuel additive really works in situations like this? Has anyone had any experience with a problem like mine and used a fuel additive like this one? Did it help, how much? Thanks a lot.
Old 08-02-2002, 08:48 PM
Tom

You can go ahead and run the Fuel injector Cleaner, but it probably won't do much.

The only thing that smoothed my idle was when I cleaned my throttle body. It's not a Lexus smooth idle, but it idles a lot better now than it ever did before.

It's pretty straightforward, but you should replace the gasket when you do the job and that thing is a major pain to scrape off.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Chevron fuel injector cleaner?

Originally posted by quikky
First, YES I have searched for it, but was still unable to find what I am looking for.

Has anyone had any experience with a problem like mine and used a fuel additive like this one? Did it help, how much? Thanks a lot.
I use Chevron Fuel System Cleaner (20 ounce bottle) at every oil change or 3,000 miles. Yes it works, you can really tell when you are using it. Increases milage and power noticably when it is in tank. It costs about $10.00. For $10.00 it is worth a try.
Be well!!!!
Old 08-04-2002, 06:55 AM

Go ahead and try it. Techron seems to work better than the cheap $2 stuff.

Just make sure it's not actually something else like old drity sparkplugs.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

chevron gas sucks for performance though...car feels like a slug when I fill with chevron. My friends also agree that chevron sucks (could be a SoCal thing). I'm thinking it sucks cuz it's so freakin clean or it's the built in detergents. So try running the gas for a few fill-ups.
Jae
Old 08-04-2002, 08:27 PM

Must be a SoCal thing. Gas varies from region to region a bit since it doesn't all come from 1 source. Up here, it's among the best, IMO.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:53 PM

I think it works pretty good..

But I have to agree with Thurznite... I don't use Chevron gas. Strangely, I liked the performance I got from using Exxon, that is, if you can find one in SoCal (if you're in L.A. there's one on LaCienega near Pico Blvd. They usually have pretty good prices, too!).

Back to the subject...

I have only used the Chevron w/Techron brand of fuel injector cleaner in my Max, and have been very pleased with it. My uncle suggested the DuraLube brand of injector cleaner, but I haven't tried it yet.

Good luck& peace2u...
Old 08-07-2002, 12:31 AM

personally, i stay away from duralube. after the supreme court came down on a lotta those oil companies, i don't have as much faith in their other products.
For fuel injector cleaner, I use Pyroil cuz it's $0.99/bottle. I use it in a tank of gas just before changing my oil.
The best fuel injector cleaner is B&G. It's only available online or at special garages (not sold retail). Hefty price, but it's the best out there. When you take your car to a garage and ask for a tuneup, it's likely they'll pour some BG into your gas tank, tell you they cleaned your injectors, and remind you to use up the tank of gas before refilling. I find that stupid cuz BG says after using their product, you should change your oil and oil filter cuz it's pretty strong stuff! Paradoxical (or is it ironic?)
Jae
Old 08-07-2002, 02:33 PM

Re: Chevron fuel injector cleaner?

I've used Chevron ENGINE DEPOSIT CLEANER for several years and it works well. There are several versions of the Chevron cleaner, but the engine deposit cleaner worked the best and covers injectors. It also does a good job in cleaning intake valve deposits. My old MR2 would always ping and this is the only thing that would clean it up.

92 SE 5 sp.

Originally posted by quikky

That out of the way, the problem is that my car is rough at idle and has lost some power. I changed a lot of stuff but the problem is still there. After some diagnostics, I was told that 3 of my injectors are pretty bad. Of course I could just fix them but it's kinda expensive and I do not have that kind of money right now. Anyways on to the question, what I wanna know is whether the Chevron with Techron (concentrate) fuel additive really works in situations like this? Has anyone had any experience with a problem like mine and used a fuel additive like this one? Did it help, how much? Thanks a lot.