3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Alternator problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 10:33 AM

Alternator problem?

Alright guys see if you can help me out. I have an Alpine CDA-7892 headunit in my car and when i turn the volume up the lights on the headunit dim when the bass hits, and eventually if i turn it too loud it will shut off. The problem is worse when i am parked, it seems to be able to get to a higher volume when i am driving. Could this be due to a bad alternator or some sort of a battery problem? All i have is the aftermarket HU with the bose speakers. I need help guys because i dont want to drain my battery.

Nick
Old 08-09-2002, 12:25 PM

Re: Alternator problem?

you probably have a bad alternater. the smae thing happend to me and i got a new one and it fixed the problem! Also u may need a new battery or it may need a good charging
Old 08-09-2002, 01:56 PM

alternator blues

I recently had to get a new alternator because my car was dying after 20-30 minutes of highway driving with the stereo on...apparrently it wasn't charging enough while driving, it was only charging while idle. It costs a grand total of $450 for parts and labor...I've been told I got ripped off, tell me how much yours costs when you get it.

The new alternator did not stop my headlights from dimming when the bass hits at all, in fact it seemed to make it worse. I recharged my battery, which is also only a few months old, and this didn't help either. I have about 800-watts RMS of power, so I also got a 1.0 farad cap which is supposed to stop headlight dimming. Didn't do much, honestly...maybe a little. Maybe some of this helps you, but I'm pretty ocnfused about this whole alternator situation too, so I want to know more also!
Old 08-09-2002, 02:27 PM

Re: alternator blues

My new alternator cost me $275 inclu. labor. It's not a ginuine nissan part, but the company that made it gave me a two year warranty. I got it through the local dealership, and they installed it too. I haven't had a problem since
Old 08-09-2002, 11:29 PM

Re: alternator blues

The new alternator did not stop my headlights from dimming when the bass hits at all, in fact it seemed to make it worse. I recharged my battery, which is also only a few months old, and this didn't help either. I have about 800-watts RMS of power, so I also got a 1.0 farad cap which is supposed to stop headlight dimming. Didn't do much, honestly...maybe a little. Maybe some of this helps you, but I'm pretty ocnfused about this whole alternator situation too, so I want to know more also! [/B]
well on the whole 800watts thing. you may need to run a thicker guage wire to your amp. 8 or lower. that should solve the problem
Old 08-10-2002, 09:20 AM

well i am going to run my car over to tweeter to have the installer look at it. I am hoping its not the alternator because i dont have that kind of money right now. I hope its just some resistence in the wires or some simple problem but from what you guys have said all signs point to bad.
Old 08-11-2002, 07:42 AM

Sounds like the alternator is dying.

Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals and while the car is running, the voltage should be around 14. Rev the engine and watch the meter. The voltage should not vary very much.

Another test is to run your wipers. Do they move real slow when idling? If they do, the battery/alternator is not putting out enough voltage. Replace the alternator.

A rebuilt from NAPA is $126. You should be able to install this yourself. It will take awhile to align the bolt holes exactly, but that's the hardest part. About 1 hour should do it. Charge the battery also to return it to a full charge state when installing a new alternator.

Tim
Old 08-11-2002, 09:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sounds like a good excuse to hyperground!
Jae
Old 08-11-2002, 10:13 AM

Well the installer told me that my headunit was putting out more power than my speakers could handle and the reason why it shuts off is beacuase the bose speakers amplifiers are acting up. Luckily it wasnt my alternator. He told me i could add new speakers or take all the bass out of my bose speakers and add an amp and a sub woofer. Does this sound right to you guys?
Old 08-11-2002, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by MadMax10
Well the installer told me that my headunit was putting out more power than my speakers could handle and the reason why it shuts off is beacuase the bose speakers amplifiers are acting up. Luckily it wasnt my alternator. He told me i could add new speakers or take all the bass out of my bose speakers and add an amp and a sub woofer. Does this sound right to you guys?
no it doesnt sound right. When you add an aftermarket headunit the bose amps arent in use any more. instead of sending a signal to the amp then the speaker it is rewired to go directly into the speaker. test your alternater with a voltmeter
Old 08-11-2002, 10:40 AM

If you need an alternator, I've got one off my wrecked car I'll sell for $35 plus shipping/COD. The car it is off of only has 59095 miles on it.