3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

few questions on power

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 12:36 PM

few questions on power

well after reading some stuff about the knock sensor i think that this is what my problem is. just wondering though i have the jim wolf upgraded ecu does this still apply" i dont think they mod anything on the ecu for that" not 100%.. because my car has no power at all at any rpm,somethimes it will feel like it wants to go but then doesnt especially when it hits 4000rpm it just dies on its face.. plus the thing will just die on me when sitting at a light but starts right back. things i have changed/checked replaced.fuel filter,tps,coil pack "iginitor",cahnged out the front 3 coil packs"not back ones",checked fuel pump its fine"although my fuel gauge doent go pass half no matter how much fuel i put in it" could just be a bad gauge unit though,checked the fpr and it holds a solid at 20 on the vacuum gauge,have 40 to 45 psi at the fuel rail,injectors are fine,mas sensor is good,CAS is fine.. i think thats it "cant think of anything else" the K.S. wouldnt cause the car to stall would it????

thanks for any help
Old 08-12-2002, 05:15 PM

no one has any ideas....... hhmm
Old 08-12-2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by VE30DEPOWER
no one has any ideas....... hhmm
Did you recheck the timing? Are all your marks aligned?

btw where have you been?
Old 08-12-2002, 06:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm guessing that the car does move somewhat but just lacks power right?

The timing (cam/crank. not ign) seems to be the logical problem but if that doesn't pan out (and u're sure they're working properly...)then read on...

Have u run a diagnostic test on the computer? costs about $80 @ dealership but can be found (exact same machine) for about $50.

If u have run the diag, and I'm guessing u've gone over the basics of checking to make sure all your sensors [& connectors, etc] are connected properly, u may want to try by reseting your computer (posted somewhere on this site I think...) and then going sensor by sensor and discconecting them to see if the car shows any difference in the way it runs (obviously the ones the car can run without).

Let me know what happens.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:33 PM
Ford Only.

There you are, I posted a thread looking for you and a update on your project.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:58 PM

whats up everyone finally got back in here i have been busy building a race car and got into a whole bunch of other things.. hopefully i will be on here more often now because my projects are finally starting to come to an end,and help people with there car and most importantly give everyone the HP and TORQUE #'s on my car!!!!!!!!

hey jim90gxe its a long long long long long story...

anyway the timing is dead on there is no mistaking that at all the car will start in like a half a crank of the starter :d.. i have taken it to the dealer and all they told me was i had a knock sensor code,which i knew already because i didnt put one in WHY #1 mine got totally destroyed somehow.#2 i never got around to getting the KS and when i was putting it together i had forgot all about the freaking thing but no biggie i thought i could just find a hole on the block somewhere and put it there but i didnt want that after thinking about it.so now that it is altogether i have to take everything off and put it in the stock spot"obviously"..i could go on but you know what i mean.. i did the R&R sensor thing and there was no change in the motors idle etc.. im thinking that the ecu has the timing so retarded that is doesnt matter what i do its already in safe mode..

i think my next step is going to be the knock sensor especially if the info is right that i read in here about the manual saying without it the ecu retards the timing 10 to 15 degrees.. if thats the case then that is definetly my power problem and will most likely cure my stalling at idle etc... but it will most likely be a bit before i can get the KS installed as i need the max to get around,but i will keep everyone updated........