3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help with springs and shocks...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 03:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help with springs and shocks...

Hi guys. I’m new to boards and am hoping that you all can help me out.

I drive a 02 Subaru WRX and have recently been moding my car a bit. My wife has been getting on my case and tells me that now she wants me to do some stuff to her car. (Gotta love her for that )

Her 92 Maxima is pretty much stock, and rides like a boat. I was looking to get her some new springs and shocks to firm up the ride.

She’s not an aggressive driver (I take care of all that) so I don’t need any “race quality” parts.

Any recommendations on some decent spring and shock combos?

I checked out the prices at www.shox.com and got these…

Shocks:
Koni's are $520.80
Tokico's are $309.00
KYB's $177.00
Sachs $199.00

Springs:
Eibach pro-kit $219.00 lowers 1.2"
B&G springs $179.00 lowers 1.6"

Do those look like good prices? Are there any other brands any of you would recommend?

I was going to try and stay in the realm of $300-$400 for the entire setup, so perhaps the KYBs and B&Gs, although I’m not thrilled about dropping the car 1.6 inches (I know, I’m a prude)

TIA for all the advice… and if you see a little blue wagon behind you… get out of the way (Don't flame me for that... just trying to have some fun )

Thanks again!
Old 08-19-2002, 04:19 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Trust me...for your wife Eibach's will be the way to go. I used to have them and they are the closest to stock ride quality an aftermarket spring can get. I'm now on Intrax and I bet your wife would hate the ride. Anyone (including my girl) that gets in my car complains about the roughness Anyway for pics of my car on eibachs and intrax check out my site http://maxima.cardomain.com/id/chris91se

I have driven a 3rd gen with ST's (1.5") drop but wasn't satisfied in any aspect of the ride and the drop is uneven etc.

For struts Tok's are fine with eibach springs. Anything lower then that go with Koni's...
Old 08-19-2002, 08:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I like the idea of the Eibachs because of the smallest drop.

shox.com actually did send me another option as well...

Suspension Techniques Springs $179.00 lower 1.5"

But you already addressed that one.

However, as far as the shocks go, is there any reason I should take the Tokicos over the KYBs or Sachs?

I'm just looking at it from a price point of view.

As far as "ride comfort" goes, don't worry about that affecting your advice. She's driven my WRX and has no problems with the level of comfort in it. So if there's a firmer spring/shock combo that you'd recommend (that would be cheaper, while I doubt it) let me know.

I know it sounds like I'm a total cheapskate. The fact of the matter is this. I probably won't be keeping this car for more than another year, so I don't want to drop a bunch of money into it right now. However, I've driven it a few times and really don't think it's safe so I want to do something.

Thanks for the advice so far!
Old 08-19-2002, 08:45 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Honestly if you're selling it in a years time then the KYB's could hold you over strut wise. They're essential OEM replacement and will eventually give way like an OEM strut. If you're planning on keeping the car in lowered form for more then a year I say spend the money on the tok's and don't be cheap there...The tokicos are a pretty good upgrade. I had them with my Eibach's for about a year and a half and was happy with the ride. Since adding the Intrax the tok's are total crap to me and am soon upgrading once again to Konis.

Back to the springs...the Eibach's are going to be your best handling spring by far. Also the least aggressive drop which was my original attraction.

Do some searching and you'll find some opinions. This topic gets beaten to death around here.
Old 08-19-2002, 08:49 PM

B&G All the Way

I have the B&G sport suspension springs and they are really great. I get compliments on the drop all the time.