3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

axle and bearing gone... please advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 07:27 AM

axle and bearing gone... please advice

I got my car (93 SE) checked just now Belle tire mechanic..
Got some real problems on the front axle...

First part
Left side bearing + seal has to be replaced...Mechanic says the total for this is $250. The explanation is he has get the bearing and seal kit and the labor.. and then has to get bearing pressed ...!!!

For second part front right drive shaft has to completely replaced...He is going for a remanufactured. He gives a life time warranty.. This one is $203

The total is $450+ !!!!
Now the question is it reasonable price..?
I am also considering of doing it my self... What kind of tools and skill are required.. (I have just got a $29.99 mechnic too kit..)what could be the price savings...?

The bearing work I think might be a tough DIY ..
for the axle replacement can I do it my self...? I am newbie. ready to try instead of shelling $ to mechanic..

Experienced guys please advice... Rate the difficulty in doing these things myself...
Old 08-20-2002, 07:41 AM

Re: axle and bearing gone... please advice

Originally posted by maximalover

The total is $450+ !!!!
I am also considering of doing it my self... What kind of tools and skill are required.. (I have just got a $29.99 mechnic too kit..)what could be the price savings...?

for the axle replacement can I do it my self...? I am newbie. ready to try instead of shelling $ to mechanic..

Experienced guys please advice... Rate the difficulty in doing these things myself...
what i'd do is shop for the bearings myself and price match with theirs(find out where they get theirs). when i had my bearings done, I bought them at pepboys and gave them to the mechanic to do with labor costing about 80bucks. For the axle, I believe you get some cash back for the core..not too sure tho. But just price around for the part and make the mechanic buy for the most reasonable price WITH the lifetime warranty as well as some warranty on labor.
YOu may also attempt to do the axle yourself....depends on how mech inclined you are and how well you read and understand instructions (service manuals).

enjoy.

lophix
Old 08-20-2002, 08:56 AM

I really don't know about the bearings cuz my dad does that for me in installing them. as for the axle Pepboys does have a core charge apart from what the axle cost. I believe the one on the right side is about $50-$60 and the core charge will be the same. if u take the old axle back to Pepboys they will give u back the core charge u gave in. now as for puttin' the axle in I would say that I've never done it cuz I never have the time to work on my car. Im always workin' late shifts so I just gave my dad the car and he took it to his friends shop and they did it. But I hear that it can be a DIY job if u are really mech. inclined.

good luck

BTW, I would have to say that the pricin' on parts and labor is too much at least for me
Old 08-20-2002, 10:49 AM

I had my left side wheel bearing replaced about a month ago. Cost more then what you're being quoted, but I also had to get the CV boot replaced too. This is all in CA mind you, so prices are generally more expensive.

Buy the parts yourself since most shop double what it cost them. If you go to NAPA they give 5% off for AAA members and their parts are pretty good with lifetime warrenties.

Shop around now that you know what needs to be done. Also, buy the Chilton's manual and see what you're getting yourself into. You may/will have to invest in more tools, but places like Autozone will allow you to borrow then for a refundable deposit.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:12 AM
STFU n00b!

Axles and bearings are not a beginner's DIY job, but you can do the whole thing in an afternoon if you have the right equipment and the proper service manual(s).

At minimum, you'll need a much bigger tool set, floor jack, pair of jack stands, and find someone who can press out the old bearing. most suspension or engine repair places can do this for a small fee, as they'll have a press capable of doing the job. you can't do it in a vice, believe me.

As for the tools, expect to spent probably $150 in tools and $150 in parts. the good part is that the tools will last a long time and the investment will pay off the first time you can fix something yourself instead of paying a mechanic to do it for you.

tools needed:
1 7/16" socket, at LEAST 1/2" drive. 3/4" or 1" would be better, as the axle nuts are on extremely tight.
believe that's 36mm or so.

17mm wrench and 17mm socket on 1/2" drive ratchet. don't mess with 3/8" drive. not strong enough to break the bolts loose. also highly recommend a 1/2" drive breaker bar.

10 or 12mm sockets with a 1/4" flex-head ratchet. you'll need that to remove the right side axle. don't even try it with a regular ratchet or end wrench. it's a nightmare to get to those 3 bolts.

that's really about it for tools, other than assorted screwdrivers to remove the seals and such.

for some instructions on replacing the axle, read the FAQs at the top of the board. on my faq page, there's instructions on how to change it. changing the wheel bearing is also pretty easy once you figure out how to get the spindle off the car (6 bolts total).
Old 08-20-2002, 12:27 PM

Re: axle and bearing gone... please advice

I got my car (93 SE) checked just now Belle tire mechanic..
Got some real problems on the front axle...

First part
Left side bearing + seal has to be replaced...Mechanic says the total for this is $250. The explanation is he has get the bearing and seal kit and the labor.. and then has to get bearing pressed ...!!!

For second part front right drive shaft has to completely replaced...He is going for a remanufactured. He gives a life time warranty.. This one is $203

The total is $450+ !!!!

I don't have any first hand experience w/ the axles but the wheel bearings can be done by a shade tree mechanic (all except the pressing out/in of the bearings). If you search "wheel bearing" you'll find Sydney's DIY writeup on replacing front wheel bearings.
I used it when I did mine about a month ago. It was time consuming but not complex. The only extra tools I had to buy were a breaker bar ($25) a two jaw puller ($10). The latter is to get the tie rod ends off). The only thing I would add to Sydney's writeup is to find yourself a 3' long X 1.5" piece of angle iron (mild steel actually). Drill two holes that match the lug nut bolt pattern and bolt the angle iron to the hub - this way the hub won't turn when you loosen the main nut on the hub/axle. With good instructions and the right tools I thought it was kinda of a fun job.

Old 08-20-2002, 03:09 PM

I helped replaced a drive axle in a 96 one time, It took about three hours and a lot of swearing at the car, the tools, at nissan, etc...

If you price out the parts and buy them yourself, then price the labor for the job. There are probably other mechanics around that charge less.

good luck
Old 08-24-2002, 08:50 AM

where do I get good tools

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your informative reply. I decided to do bearing work my self.
But where do I get these tools from..?
From Regular shops like Kmart or Automotive shops like Autozone etc...
Is there som kind of tool set where I can get all these together in one package?
Also I am looking to buy good quality tool. In some places you find crappy ones

I am asking this question because if I need some other tool for some other repair then I don't have to go for shopping again..
Old 08-24-2002, 09:46 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: where do I get good tools

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your informative reply. I decided to do bearing work my self.
But where do I get these tools from..?
From Regular shops like Kmart or Automotive shops like Autozone etc...
Is there som kind of tool set where I can get all these together in one package?
Also I am looking to buy good quality tool. In some places you find crappy ones

I am asking this question because if I need some other tool for some other repair then I don't have to go for shopping again..
if you want good quality cheap tools go to Sears and get Craftsman stuff because their good tools with a lifetime warranty and are relatively cheap compared to the MAC and Snap on tools.

They have sets you can buy but they arend going to have the big socket you need or the socket wrench included in a regular kit...so those will have to be gotten seperate.
Old 08-24-2002, 05:20 PM
STFU n00b!

I would highly recommend just buying a Craftsman tool set with most of the sockets in it. for most work on the car, you'll need 10,12,14,17, and 19 mm sockets. You'll also need open end wrenches of that size, as the large bolts often have bolts and nuts the same size that need backing up to break them loose.

The alrge axle nut will need a socket that doesn't come in a kit. they're about $20 each, and the breaker bar big enough to do it is about $45. I think I spent $75 just on those two tools alone. (But for how often I tear apart the front suspension, it's a good investment for me.) You can usually rent the tools from most parts stores. They'll charge you the regular sales price on them when you pick them up, then give your money back when you return them.

But anyway, don't mess with parts stores or anything cheap. Buy, at minimum, Craftsman. They have a lifetime warranty on almost all their tools so if they ever break, just take them back and exchange it for a new one. The same will apply with MAC and Snap On tools, but they're more than twice the price of craftsman. (and truthfully, I don't see why the price is justified when you can get the same warranty for much cheaper.. but anyway..)

Again, the only problem you'll have with the front end is pressing the bearing out- which most suspension or mechanic shops can do that for a small fee- which after paying for it to be done twice, you can buy the hydraulic press to do it yourself! Amazing how that works.
Old 08-24-2002, 07:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

froont axels

I'd be careful on this one I had mine done at a place quoted me 300 and the car rode like crap. Took it somewhere else they had used the wrong axel. I got it fixed and my money back but the final repair was like 500. there are apparently a number of different axels depending if you have abs or not. Your best bet is to find someone who will rebuild yours.
Old 08-25-2002, 05:09 PM

Instead of a breaker bar I use a piece of 1" steel pipe that's about 4 feet long and slide it over a large 3/4" drive ratchet I have. It works for most open-end wrenches too. I've used it numerous time on stubborn bolts and is well worth the $5 or so I paid for it at Home Depot or wherever. I've had it for years. Just grabd the end of that thing and push, it's almost 4x the power you are exerting now, and you don't even break a sweat

I actually did have to stand on it to break loose my axle nut though, the first time. They stick on real tight after they've been together for 10+ years.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:25 PM

Just as an example of the cost of having it done at a mechanic, I recently had my right axle assembly and wheel bearing replaced, plus an alignment, from a local mechanic. A good mechanic but not the cheapest. $580 (parts + labor)

Now I'm still looking for a 93 gxe rim to replace my busted one. :/
Old 08-26-2002, 12:14 PM

wheels off the ground

Matt,
One related question.. small one..
I lifted both front wheels of my maxima off the ground. I had put my auto in neutral while doing this. My parking brake was pulled up.
Now the question is if I try to turn wheels (clock wise or opposite) should the front wheels rotate smoothly (I mean like a bicycle tyre)..
I tried to rotate both wheels and both were kind of stiff and were rotating slow...

Is this normal or it is the indication of some other problem?
Old 08-26-2002, 04:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by RosenKen
Instead of a breaker bar I use a piece of 1" steel pipe that's about 4 feet long and slide it over a large 3/4" drive ratchet I have.
that's nothing buddy, the last time we had to get the axle nut off, we used a breaker bar with an 8 foot 1" steel pipe and a 200lb guy at one end and he had to literally jump on that thing several times to break it.

driveshaft king in dallas sells remanufactured driveshafts for $75 + your old core. www.driveshaftking.com