3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

cv joint or drive axel?? Clicking on turns

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 10:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

cv joint or drive axel?? Clicking on turns

I have a 92 Maxima gxe with 114K miles on it. On turns there is a clicking grinding sound. I believe both cv boots are torn. I explained the noise to a mechanic and he recommended replacing the axel. I know this sort of thing happens all the time but is it more likely the axel or the cv joint or both? The mechanic thought the joint should be ok, but my understanding was that sort of noise and a torn boot usually meant the cv joint was shot. My knowledge in this area is very limited. Does any one have a good link to drive axel-joint descriptions? Can anyone offer there opinion, if you think it is more likely cv-joint or axel?
Best Regards,
Matthew
Old 08-20-2002, 10:26 AM

mine did the same thing.....taked to a few people and was told once the clicking starts, get them replaced FAST. You'll have to replace the whole drive axils...I did them both myself and got the parts from Autozone for about 130 for the axils and 90 core charge. The job was kinda a pain, but saved me about 300 bucks doing it myself than a shop. I just followed the directions from a Chilton and all went well.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:42 AM

if the boots have been torn for a while, then dirt and other stuff may have gotten into the axle. At that point, yeah, you have to replace the axle.

Check to make sure it's not the wheel bearings or something else like that. I had more of a constant grinding noise (not just on turns) when my CV boot tore and it turned out to be the wheel bearing.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok

Originally posted by pearl93max
mine did the same thing.....taked to a few people and was told once the clicking starts, get them replaced FAST. You'll have to replace the whole drive axils...I did them both myself and got the parts from Autozone for about 130 for the axils and 90 core charge. The job was kinda a pain, but saved me about 300 bucks doing it myself than a shop. I just followed the directions from a Chilton and all went well.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:22 PM

Ok....umm

I have a grinding and if you wait to call it a clicking noise when riding and turning but is not the CV joints but the smaller boot around the tie rod. I looked at it the other day and it was leaking grease and torn. THE CV joints are not leaking so I guess I need is the tie rod boots. RIGHT?? Or do they still call those the cv joints. The mechanic at auto zone goes oh your cv joints and im like no it is my tie rod or something like that. I just didnt want to get the wrong part.

Basically it is the smaller bar that sits closer to the wheel well (or left side) if you are taking the wheel off and looking at it.

Im just a little confused. Any suggestions would be great.

Originally posted by pearl93max
Old 08-20-2002, 04:03 PM

Re: Ok....umm

i had i think a similar noise whenever i made a left handed turn along with a thunk sound whenever i hit a bump while making that turn.
i took my car in to get the ball joint replaced and both noises are gone.
check into it
Old 08-20-2002, 08:27 PM

Re: Re: Ok....umm

Yea that is what I think it is...I am going to get into replaced tomorrow ASAP because that could kill my steering ability. If I knew it was that bad I would of done something early. My Dad told me I need to get them replaced. Thanks for the help Freaknificent.

Originally posted by Freaknificent
i had i think a similar noise whenever i made a left handed turn along with a thunk sound whenever i hit a bump while making that turn.
i took my car in to get the ball joint replaced and both noises are gone.
check into it