3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

93 Maxima and spring/strut install problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 02:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

93 Maxima and spring/strut install problem

I could really use some help...

I ordered some struts and springs last week for my wife's 93 Maxima GXE. At the time I ordered them, I thought her car was a 92. Afterwards I found out it was a 93, but thought, "Big deal... Same thing pretty much."

I got the struts and springs.

Struts - Tokicos HB3067, HB3068, and HZ3132
Springs - Eibachs 6311.140

Someone on this site was kind enough to point me in the direction of a "How to install" site. I printed out the instructions for the install (which were for a 92)

Yesterday I jack the car up and take off the back wheels. There I am, looking at drum brakes when the instructions are for discs. On top of that, my brother, who's helping me, looks at the stock struts and says, "Dude, these don't look like the new ones you have."

Can anyone please help me out? I'm looking for two things.

1. Why does my 93 have drums if the directions I had for a 92 install include discs? Surely Nissan didn't go BACK from discs to drums!

2. Do I have the right parts for my 93 Maxima GXE?

If I'm in some way screwed (i.e. Wrong parts, etc)...

Does anyone want to buy some brand new struts and springs?

Thanks guys!
Old 09-01-2002, 02:53 PM
Tom

All GXEs without ABS have rear drum brakes (I have them on my 92). The rear struts have replaceable strut cartridges, perhaps that's why the parts you got look different from the strut assembly (you may just have the rear cartridges).
Old 09-01-2002, 06:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, I understand about the drums vs discs now.

Since mine is a 93 GXE w/o ABS, I should have drums in the back. Understood.

I'm assuming by what you said...

The rear struts have replaceable strut cartridges, perhaps that's why the parts you got look different from the strut assembly (you may just have the rear cartridges).
that I have the wrong parts, at least for the back. I have strut assemblies, but the holes for the attachment point look different than the stock ones.

What I'm curious about is this.

I ordered my struts and springs off shox.com. For anyone that's ever done this, you know that all you have to do is tell them what kind of car you have and they tell you what parts you need.

The only spaces they give you are Make, Model, and Year.

In those fields I entered, Nissan, Maxima, and 1992.

Ok, I know that the year was wrong, but based on this ammount of information, can they determine what I need? I didn't tell them, nor did they ask, whether it was SE or GXE, or whether it had ABS or not.

Can anyone confirm whether or not I have the right parts before I contact shox.com and try to resolve this?

Again, the part numbers for the struts are...
Rear : HB3067 and HB3068
Front : HZ3132
Old 09-01-2002, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by MrAceman

that I have the wrong parts, at least for the back. I have strut assemblies, but the holes for the attachment point look different than the stock ones.

I ordered my struts and springs off shox.com. For anyone that's ever done this, you know that all you have to do is tell them what kind of car you have and they tell you what parts you need.

Ok, I know that the year was wrong, but based on this ammount of information, can they determine what I need? I didn't tell them, nor did they ask, whether it was SE or GXE, or whether it had ABS or not.

Can anyone confirm whether or not I have the right parts before I contact shox.com and try to resolve this?

The only thing you are supposed to replace is the strut cartridges in the rear. You may gotten 4 front struts. Here is a exploded view:
rear section w/drums
After you remove the gland packing nut you can pull out the cartridge.
Old 09-01-2002, 06:49 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

are u sure the rears are wrong?
to do the rear struts u have to take out the entire assembly..unbolt the gland packing nut (but nut at the base of the piston/top of the strut). pull out the stock piston and valving. dump a small amount of oil out. then slide in new tok insert. the struts should be the same on all 3rd gen..except for sonar suspension..you have sensors and etc but most tend to replace the sonar stuff for normal struts because replacement is $. shox.com have been doing this for a while..so they should have the right PN...if in doubt check tokico web site for application part number
Old 09-01-2002, 06:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I know that I have 2 fronts and 2 rears. The new rears look like the stock rears for the most part. It's just the attaching points that look different. I'm worried that the rear struts are the ones meant for Maximas with rear disc brakes.

I guess my question is, are the rear struts for the 93 Maxima GXE with rear DISCS the same as the rear struts for the 93 Maxima GXE with rear DRUMS?

If the answer is yes, then I have the right parts and I'm just wrong about the pieces looking different.

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2002, 06:59 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I know that I have 2 fronts and 2 rears. The new rears look like the stock rears for the most part. It's just the attaching points that look different. I'm worried that the rear struts are the ones meant for Maximas with rear disc brakes.

I guess my question is, are the rear struts for the 93 Maxima GXE with rear DISCS the same as the rear struts for the 93 Maxima GXE with rear DRUMS?

If the answer is yes, then I have the right parts and I'm just wrong about the pieces looking different.

Thanks!
they should be the same for disc and drum.
front have different PN because the brake hose attachment point.
the rears are just a stick, same PN. no bolt hole or anything. the top of the strut is threaded...that's it. comes w/ a big gland packing nut...maybe a big metal washer. anything more it's the wrong part.
Old 09-01-2002, 07:01 PM
To them I'm like an idol

Thanks!
YES!

The part numbers are the same for the rear, disc or drum. (And you have them written backwards by the way, HZ3132 is the rear. Same for both sides in the rear. The fronts are different.

You have to take the rear strut housing apart (see instructions on site) the part that you have is a cartridge that goes inside the strut housing.

Again, you do have the right parts. The "strut assemblies" are for the front. The things that look like shocks are the rear strut cartridges. Looks to me like you've been tryin to put the fronts on the back.

But this is the correct listing for the part
Front : HB3067 and HB3068 (Left and right have different brake line clip locations, and different bolt locations "strut assemblies" as you call them)
Rear : HZ3132 (you should have 2) These are the ones that look like little shocks.