3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Brakes noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 04:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brakes noise

I just did my brakes not too long ago and i forgot to get the small metal "sheild" that goes between the brake pad and the round thing off my old brake pads. Now i'm gettin a funny sound whenever i brake. Anyone else had this prob? where can i buy another "shield" thing? and do you think it is really screwin somethin up not havin it there? I appreciate your help.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:53 PM

Re: Brakes noise

Originally posted by Mike92GXE
I just did my brakes not too long ago and i forgot to get the small metal "sheild" that goes between the brake pad and the round thing off my old brake pads. Now i'm gettin a funny sound whenever i brake. Anyone else had this prob? where can i buy another "shield" thing? and do you think it is really screwin somethin up not havin it there? I appreciate your help.
If you're talking about the thin metal piece that goes on the backside of the brake pads, that's called a "shim". They do help keep the brakes quieter so it probably is your problem.

I'm sure you could pick them up from a nissan dealer, but pepboys or other parts stores might have them too.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:03 PM
STFU n00b!

sometimes it's called a shim kit, sometimes a brake hardware kit.

most of the parts stores will laugh at you if you ask them for one, but some have it. best place is to get one from a dealer. they're $10-15 per front or rear set.

if you've got a squealing problem, these guys might fix it.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
sometimes it's called a shim kit, sometimes a brake hardware kit.

most of the parts stores will laugh at you if you ask them for one, but some have it. best place is to get one from a dealer. they're $10-15 per front or rear set.

if you've got a squealing problem, these guys might fix it.
Its more of a clickin sound actually and it only happens when i hit the brakes. I appreciate the info though. How are those skyline rotors holdin up? I'm lookin to redo all the brake stuff on the gxe. From ss brakelines to rear disc brakes. Any suggestions?
Old 09-04-2002, 11:42 AM
STFU n00b!

unless you're a crazy driving **** like me who likes to do stupid things with your brakes, then the OEM rotors will be more than sufficient.

the biggest changes you can make on the car is to get good pads and stainless lines. OEM or Brembo rotors... Bendix if you can't get the others. (www.carpart.com has the brembo rotors listed under AutoSpecialty for the cheapest price I've seen recently. they take 3-4 days to deliver after ordering.)

Anyway, I recommend either Axxis Metal Master or Porterfield pads, and any brand SS lines.

same on the rear discs. Also make sure you stick witht he same brands of pads on the front and rear, as some have much higher friction than others. i.e. a brand with a .45 friction coefficient will take 1/2 the brake pedal force than one with a coefficient of .225
porterfield is high friction- around .43 or so, but I'm not sure on OEM or Axxis.

Just stick with matching sets and you won't have to worry about it.

(If you guys don't know what all that means, it knocks off your brake bias. you'll end up with more front brake than before or more rear, etc. the car will nosedive or do other yucky stuff on hard braking, which causes higher brake temps and poor handling.)