3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How do you fill the tranny fluid??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 08:37 AM

How do you fill the tranny fluid??

Hi,

I've got my transmission out of my car and I want to change the fluid. I know there is a the drain plug that faces forward, but is that really a filler plug?? Also, how do you fill it w/o it coming all out the differentials?? Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Joseph
Old 09-08-2002, 09:19 AM

Re: How do you fill the tranny fluid??

Originally posted by xenome
Hi,

I've got my transmission out of my car and I want to change the fluid. I know there is a the drain plug that faces forward, but is that really a filler plug?? Also, how do you fill it w/o it coming all out the differentials?? Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Joseph

..hmm..

you took out your tranny and youy want to fill it with oil.? well put the tranny back in and install everything the way it was installed. then the place where you measure the oil for the tranny is the same place where you fill it up.,
Old 09-08-2002, 09:41 AM

Re: Re: How do you fill the tranny fluid??

Originally posted by crazy4maxima

..hmm..

you took out your tranny and youy want to fill it with oil.? well put the tranny back in and install everything the way it was installed. then the place where you measure the oil for the tranny is the same place where you fill it up.,

Well, I didn't take it out to just change the fluid... I took it out to replace the clutch I exploded. Is that hole for checking the same hole that is on the front of the tranny about midway from the top?? Do you just fill it up to that hole and it's safe??
Old 09-08-2002, 10:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: How do you fill the tranny fluid??

wtf?
Dude, put your tranny back on (sounds like "put your clothes back on"), and....well.....there should be a square-tap-bolt-thingy when looking at the tranny from the front while jacked up...unscrew this and fill with .....why am i telling you this? I dont even know about trannies! If you could undress..de-tranny your car and replace your "exploded" clutch, you should know that!

Well, I didn't take it out to just change the fluid... I took it out to replace the clutch I exploded. Is that hole for checking the same hole that is on the front of the tranny about midway from the top?? Do you just fill it up to that hole and it's safe??
Old 09-08-2002, 11:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: How do you fill the tranny fluid??

Originally posted by lophix
wtf?
Dude, put your tranny back on (sounds like "put your clothes back on"), and....well.....there should be a square-tap-bolt-thingy when looking at the tranny from the front while jacked up...unscrew this and fill with .....why am i telling you this? I dont even know about trannies! If you could undress..de-tranny your car and replace your "exploded" clutch, you should know that!

Dude, I know about that hole, but I'm asking is that the only place to put it in?? Perhaps not a higher spot?? The reason I'm asking is because i'm reading posts about people putting in 5quarts!! When you look at the tranny, it doesn't look like 5qts (picture a gallon of milk + 1 extra qt) could fit into the space that is occupied below the line of that hole, it's not like it's all hollow in there... So do you now see concern?
Old 09-08-2002, 11:53 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How do you fill the tranny fluid??

one and only place....

Dude, I know about that hole, but I'm asking is that the only place to put it in?? Perhaps not a higher spot?? The reason I'm asking is because i'm reading posts about people putting in 5quarts!! When you look at the tranny, it doesn't look like 5qts (picture a gallon of milk + 1 extra qt) could fit into the space that is occupied below the line of that hole, it's not like it's all hollow in there... So do you now see concern?
Old 09-08-2002, 12:49 PM

5 qts

I didn't eblieve it myself either that it could suck up 5 quarts just to fill to that hole, but indeed it does! Friggin expensive when you decided to use Redline synthetic...