3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Checked oil Pressure, and installed WSP Y

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 08:08 PM

I was worried that VTC failures may have something to do with poor oil pressure. This doesnt seem to be the case, the oil press was fine. I did it with the engine cold, hooked up a pressure gauge. Initially it was really high (~60psi), but as the engine warmed up and the idle droped to the normal range, the press fell to 24psi at idle. The FSM says the pressure should be above 9psi at idle, so Its obviously well within spec. I had planned to drop the oil pan and replace the oil pressure regulator, but lack of motivation and good oil pressure stoped me . Its too bad cause I had already bought the pressure regulator and oil pan gaskets.

I remember people saying that its good to let the engine warm up for a couple minutes to at least allow the oil press to build up, But from my findings there is more than adequite oil pressure during initial start up. Maybe during colder winter start ups viscosity may play a slighly greater roll, but I dont think it'll be much.

The WSP Y-pipe went on today. The power increase is noticable, but how much exactly I couldnt even guess. I had painted my Y with high temperature paint (1200F) but I noticed some smoke from the engine area and I was like ****, I thought my car was on fire.. It turned out to be the paint on the Y was smoking (some nice toxic fumes to breath in ) and it was forming bubbles on the surface. That was pretty annoying . So that no one else makes the mistake, dont use the high temperature paint from Duplicolor, It actually says on the can that its okay for exhaust manifolds, so the Y cant be too much hotter than the exhaust manifold .

With the WSP Y, I noticed that the flex section isnt really that flexible, at least no where near the stock flex sections flexibity. I wasnt able to get the second bolt on the hanger bracket for the cat the one that has the ground wire on it, it kinda seemed that the pipe went slightly too high when it met the cat, but I hope it'll sag down a little over time so that I can install the other hanger bolt with the ground wire. Installating was pretty straight forward. Getting the two nuts off the cat was a B!tch, best thing to do was use an impact wrench. I tried with a breaker bar but that put too much stress on the exhaust and I was worried about putting too much stress on the exhaust manifolds (with our fragile studs).

Blah Blah Blah, anyway I'd like to see what the car can do at the track now, its got the UDP and Y, Low 15's maybe, or is that a little too optomistic.
Old 09-28-2002, 08:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i wouldnt see why u wouldnt do low 15's w/ those mods...but your stock time seemed high as do most ve auto's (16's)
Old 09-28-2002, 11:01 PM

Aaron did 15.4 in his auto with home-made pop-charger, Y-pipe, and UDP as his only mods I think.

But watch out cuz he's got somethin coming to put him over the other VE autos.

Old 09-29-2002, 07:16 AM

Last time at the track I ran a 16.05

Since then, UDP, Y, bypassed throttle body, installed new ignition transistor pack and also put in the colder NGK spark plugs from courtesy nissan.

I could go to the track today , i'm anxious to see what the car does now. I dont wanna be dissoppointed and run a 15.5 , anything lower and I think I'll be happy.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:00 AM

Good post, you need smaller tires. I'm curious to see what a bolt on VE dynos too. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2002, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
Good post, you need smaller tires. I'm curious to see what a bolt on VE dynos too. Good luck.
Its funny you say that, b/c when I bought my tires a year ago I wanted to go a little wider but I didnt know that when you go wider you actually have to take away from the hight. So I have 215's 15R and I forgot what the tire height is 60 or 65, but I should have gone 5 less in the height b/c I went 10 wider. When I'm at the track tire press makes a big difference, and I think that really sucks b/c when your on the road and you think your a 15 sec car but b/c of tire press your actually a 16 sec car.

I went to the track today but I didnt run b/c the track was really busy. Something like 60 cars, and I showed up in the afternoon so the track would be closing shortly. There was some big event going on, but this track always has T&T. If I dont go next weekend, I'll definitly go with the north east crew this comming october.

Hey where is bill99gxe in this post, I'm sure he'd be really interested in the idle oil press. b/c of the by-pass feature in all oil filters. This means oil is always being bypassed through the filter.
Old 09-30-2002, 03:11 PM

what track do you go to? dude i have to see your y/udp...i saw your car today in the faculty lot. I think we have the cleanest 3rd gens on campus judging from what ive seen
Old 09-30-2002, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by James12345
Aaron did 15.4 in his auto with home-made pop-charger, Y-pipe, and UDP as his only mods I think.

But watch out cuz he's got somethin coming to put him over the other VE autos.

nawwwwzzzzzzzzz
Old 09-30-2002, 04:29 PM

I just ordered my WSP Y pipe and cat about 2 hours ago and I can't wait. My exhaust studs broke on me so I figure I will change everything one time. I looking forward to seeing the improvements of this upgrade. Good luck on your track runs.

Ron
Old 09-30-2002, 09:38 PM
I'm needing a caw

Nice post Eric. I'll have to stash this post somewhere.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by Maximan190

nawwwwzzzzzzzzz
Haha nah, totally N/A
Old 10-01-2002, 08:17 AM

I just changed my oil/filter yesterday (bill will be happy I sent out an oil sample this morning), and I was woundering how a full or partially clogged oil filter would affect the oil pressure. I dont think the bypass valve could sustain the full volume of oil that is desired to flow through the oil filter/bypass region. So if less oil were to flow it would lead to an increase in pressure. What I should do now is measure the oil press once again, but now with new oil and filter . Maybe this weekend.

Has anyone made a contraption to clean the oil gallies while the engine is all together? I was think something like, removing the VTC solenoids and using some stiff/flexible steel lines and attach some kind of a ball that could do some mild scrubbing through the oil galley.
There has to be some kind of a flaw with the VTC set up, and why there is sludge/crud forming in those gallies. There is a couple great diagrams of the oiling system in the FSM, and I was woundering if when the car is shut down and the VTC solenoids are disengaged, does that allow oil to slowly drain back into the oil pan. Or maybe its the solenoid itself that doesnt seal off the oil 100% when they are disengaged.

The Y pipe seems to be helping on the top end, and when you think about it, it makes sense.

I'm always tempted by NAAAAAAAAAWWWSZZZZ, but I dont wanna beat on my engine too much .

Hey Maximan190, we can meet up sometime at school. I'll also be going to the northeast meet at Island dragway on the oct. 13th.
But this past weekend I went to the track on long island, its like 30 minutes from school, exit 61 south off the sunrise hwy, www.limotorsportspart.com

It would be nice if some other people could measure their oil press. my data by itself doesnt mean thats the way it supposed to be.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:59 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by James12345

Haha nah, totally N/A
LOL, I'm N/A. Next time I go, I'm conservatively expecting a time of 15 flat.