3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Tight Tie-rod end bolt $%&*????

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 02:48 PM

Two weeks ago I checked my front wheel bearing. Left one seems to be shot...

That time I didn't had the parts. Now I do and I am going to do it tomorrow my self.

Last time I tried to loosen the Tie rod end bolt.. It was damn tight.. again tie rod end it self moves.. (that makes job harder)...

Now I don't have a hydraulic press. I looked in FSM it says the knuckle and the hub bearing assembly have to pressed out and pressed in...
So have to take whole thing to machine shop..(knuckle+hub+bearing) . I have to get the ball joint nut and the tie-rod end nut out...I don't have a choice right...

I did loosen all other nuts except Tie-rod end nut last time....!!!
Any easy trick to get tight nut out...(I am yet to try WD-40 which I bought recently)

Last question - How to tighten the Axle nut to FSM torque...(~235 N/m)? I do have torque wrench( rented from Auto zone) but I am sure it will break if I try that torque

Thanks...for your feedback
Old 10-04-2002, 02:58 PM

Re: Tight Tie-rod end bolt $%&*????

I dunno what kinda problems you're having here. The nut that holds the tie rod end to the knuckle is easy to get out, might take some strength, but thats it. I have a feeling you're trying to get the nut on the outer tie rod itself. If you are trying to get the nut that holds the tie rod end to the knuckle then you can put your socket over it, and hit the wrench with a hammer (ghetto impact..but it works ).

You can just remove the three ball joint nuts from the bottom, and take the whole knuckle to a shop with the ball joint still on it, it's a bit easier for reassembly to have to to screw on the three nuts rather than the top nut.

Don't forget you'll have to remove your calipers, the caliper has to be supported so you don't mess up the brake line. Remove the rotor also. If you have any broken lugs this would be the time to fix em.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:12 PM

Re: Re: Tight Tie-rod end bolt $%&*????

Hi
I am talking about one bolt on the right hand side of the picture..
http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...s/MVC-007S.JPG

This is some bodys page...I just got from another maxima.org post

You can see the whole knuckle with everything hanging on the tie rod end.. You can't see the nut directly on this picture..
I hope it is clear... Mine was rusted big time....!!!
Old 10-04-2002, 04:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Tight Tie-rod end bolt $%&*????

Good, you've got the right nut in mind. Soak the nut in the wd-40. Put your socket over it and knock the wrench with a hammer, after a couple of times it'll loosen right up. If you don't wanna do that, put a pipe over your wrench and turn it, the length of the pipe will give you an advantage over stubborn nuts/bolts. Don't leave the knuckle hanging from the tie rod like that, nor your caliper. Its best to get the tie rod nut before even removing the axle from the hub. Just turn the wheel all the way to the other side to get enough clearance to be able to turn the tie rod nut. if the knuckle starts turning then get someone to hold the steering wheel so that it can't move.

Matt, is that a parts car?
Old 10-04-2002, 06:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tight Tie-rod end bolt $%&*????

Can any one please answer one last question for the day...!!!

How to tighten the Axle nut to FSM torque...(~235 N/m)? . I do have torque wrench( rented from Auto zone) but I am sure it will break if I try that torque
Last time I used a big pipe on the wrench(1/2 inch drive craftsman)...and stood on the that...

I don't know whether the torque was more or less.. My weight is 165 Lbs by the way...

Any expert ideas?
Old 10-04-2002, 08:50 PM

use an impact gun. make sure its a strong gun dude at my work just zips them off.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:38 PM

Hi guys...
I think I will remain newbie for ever. I have two newbie questions..
I wanted to replace the bearing(wheel hub if needed)
I was able to jack up the car, remove rusted nuts and bolts... then pull the axle. Then some thing would fail to get the knuckle and hub assembly seperated..
Last time it was tie rod end bolt..
Every time 4 hours wasted
This time it was ABS sensor/wire and tie rod end...

I should Knuckle and wheel hub assembly seperated from these things to get to the machine shop.

1. How do I seperate the tie rod from the knuckle? I loosened the nut but still the two parts are well connected and I get them out of each other... In the FSM I see a tool being used to do that... Should I get one of them...
http://www.mytoolstore.com/toolaid/suspn02.html
The one on the bottom of the page...
2. How do I remove the ABS sensor out the knuckle assembly ?
There are three bolts on the small triangular plate. The bolts and the plate are rusted heavily.. I tried to wiggle the sensor... It didn't budge a millimeter...

Can some one rescue me please...
I swear I don't want to do the same thing again this weekend and fail.. it is not a nice feeling...
Is there any other special tool which can help....?
Old 10-09-2002, 09:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tight Tie-rod end bolt $%&*????

Originally posted by Sudesh
Good, you've got the right nut in mind. Soak the nut in the wd-40. Put your socket over it and knock the wrench with a hammer, after a couple of times it'll loosen right up. If you don't wanna do that, put a pipe over your wrench and turn it, the length of the pipe will give you an advantage over stubborn nuts/bolts. Don't leave the knuckle hanging from the tie rod like that, nor your caliper. Its best to get the tie rod nut before even removing the axle from the hub. Just turn the wheel all the way to the other side to get enough clearance to be able to turn the tie rod nut. if the knuckle starts turning then get someone to hold the steering wheel so that it can't move.

Matt, is that a parts car?
get some pb blast. 100x better than wd-40.

also, don't force the nut off with hammers... breaking the threads will make the job even tougher/longer and it will leave you with damaged parts. keep spraying it with pb blast and keep trying. use a pipe for more torque. you can actually feel if the threads are about to break... if you're cranking on the nut and you feel ratchet omving (like a flexing feeling) but the nut is not moving, the threads are going to break. back off and go at it with some more pb balst. good luck.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:42 PM

Re: Tight Tie-rod end bolt $%&*????

so the tierod is still connected even though the nut id out? well the tool ur talking about should work but if u got friend that got an impact hammer with one of those head ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1866083952 )it would be really easy?as for th abs stuff i wouldnt know.
Originally posted by maximalover
Hi guys...
I think I will remain newbie for ever. I have two newbie questions..
I wanted to replace the bearing(wheel hub if needed)
I was able to jack up the car, remove rusted nuts and bolts... then pull the axle. Then some thing would fail to get the knuckle and hub assembly seperated..
Last time it was tie rod end bolt..
Every time 4 hours wasted
This time it was ABS sensor/wire and tie rod end...

I should Knuckle and wheel hub assembly seperated from these things to get to the machine shop.

1. How do I seperate the tie rod from the knuckle? I loosened the nut but still the two parts are well connected and I get them out of each other... In the FSM I see a tool being used to do that... Should I get one of them...
http://www.mytoolstore.com/toolaid/suspn02.html
The one on the bottom of the page...
2. How do I remove the ABS sensor out the knuckle assembly ?
There are three bolts on the small triangular plate. The bolts and the plate are rusted heavily.. I tried to wiggle the sensor... It didn't budge a millimeter...

I swear I don't want to do the same thing again this weekend and fail.. it is not a nice feeling...
Old 10-10-2002, 11:54 AM

How to remove the ABS sensor from knuckle...???

Any one..

How do I remove the ABS sensor out the knuckle assembly ?

Old 10-10-2002, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by 93max
use an impact gun. make sure its a strong gun dude at my work just zips them off.
Yeah, you really want the new bearing to be properly torqued. Too loose or tight and it won't last.

Also, I know what you are saying about the tie rod end bolt. The ball and socket joint spins with the nut when it's frozen on there. Impact tools help alot in suspension work. Also, a friend of mine filled me in on a neat trick of getting the bearing in the hub. Bearing goes in freezer for a few hours, hub in the oven on 350 for half hour. Hot hub expand, cold bearing contract..just enough to drop in. He did it on his mazda mx6. I never tried it, but could work if in a pinch. I don't know how freezing the bearing grease will effect it's life. Neat idea though..I'll still press it any chance I get.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:05 PM

ABS sensor removal

Any one..

How do I remove the ABS sensor out the knuckle assembly ?

please.. some of you would have done.. So ...