3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

re-pinting bumper...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 08:15 PM

re-pinting bumper...

Does anyone have any experiance in re-pinting the bumpers???? I plan on taking my front bumper off tomorrow and repainting it. I have a "tan line" from where my license plate was and also the paint is cracking. Plus, when i touch it w/ greasey hands..it stains it and won't come off. I was woundering it just the dupli-color paint will work since it is plastic or would I need to use the bumper specific paint. They have white, but not sure if it will match correctly. Any help would be appriciated.....may be selling it Friday and want to get it painted b4 then......IE: sanding, coats, clear coats...ect.....

Thanks, Blake
Old 10-08-2002, 08:29 PM

Re: re-pinting bumper...

Hi,

You're better off leaving the bumper as it is and just buffing it really well, polish and wax.

You can't paint a car with the paint in those spray cans. Unless you have experience using those sprays, you will certainly make the paint run, sprays are extremely thin and bound to run. Not to mention it'll be a completely different shade from the rest of your car. If you had time the best thing would have been to sand the bumper yourself and take it to a body shop and have them color match and paint it professionally. Anyway, I wouldn't be concerned with the paint on a cars bumper, it's bound to have a scratch here and there (if not everywhere).
Old 10-08-2002, 09:25 PM

Re: Re: re-pinting bumper...

Originally posted by Sudesh
Hi,

You're better off leaving the bumper as it is and just buffing it really well, polish and wax.

You can't paint a car with the paint in those spray cans. Unless you have experience using those sprays, you will certainly make the paint run, sprays are extremely thin and bound to run. Not to mention it'll be a completely different shade from the rest of your car. If you had time the best thing would have been to sand the bumper yourself and take it to a body shop and have them color match and paint it professionally. Anyway, I wouldn't be concerned with the paint on a cars bumper, it's bound to have a scratch here and there (if not everywhere).
I just painted my front bumped with car spray paint from autozone. $8 for two cans..not bad. I painted it about three months ago and its still looking good. when i go home in a couple weekends i'm going to put a couple clear coats on it. btw..i didnt take the bumper off. just sand everything down real good and even and tape off everything really good and you'll be all set.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: re-pinting bumper...

Originally posted by jp91se

I just painted my front bumped with car spray paint from autozone. $8 for two cans..not bad. I painted it about three months ago and its still looking good. when i go home in a couple weekends i'm going to put a couple clear coats on it. btw..i didnt take the bumper off. just sand everything down real good and even and tape off everything really good and you'll be all set.
yeah i gotta do the same to the rear cos it's cracking due to the freaking snow of january. might be a sunday project. hopefully i can get the right shade of black, get it sanded and not mess it up totally like i do to everything else.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:54 AM

Well I dont know if you have spray gun or compressor but if you are going to do it i would get some enamal and first scuff the bumper, putting scratches throughout it and then there is some type of stuff you put on that removes grit, grime, and grease from it so the paint sticks. Then go ahead and spray it with the enamal! When i painted my Stillen front lip i just scuffed it, wiped it, sprayed primer, then 2 coats of the black enamal! Matches the car great and looks good to. You can see it on my homepage and sig. I also painted it outside so if you get really really close you can see some dust and particles in the paint but after washing the car several months it will soon deminish. Good Luck!!!

-Mike