3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Terrible vibrations when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 08:28 AM

Terrible vibrations when accelerating

What's up people? It's been a while since I have posted. But that's a good thing because I usually only post when I have aproblem with the Max. Anyway, I noticed when I get on the highway and accelerate my whole car starts shaking like it's about to fall apart. Once I get to about 90-95mph, the shaking stops. From the time I get on the highway at about 35mph and accelerate up to about 90mph, the car shakes. It doesn't shake if I don't accelerate though. Only when I accelrate. I just had my tires balanced and besides, the car shakes worse than unbalnced tires. Now I have done my search and found a few possibilities but I would like your opinion on this. All the situations were different in my search so I am trying to narrow this down before this weekend, which is the only time I really have to try some of the things suggested. Anyway, I have narrowed it down to the motor mounts, ball joints,and fuel injectors. I tested the motor mounts last night. Rev the engine while in nuetral (5 speed), engine did not move. Is this the only way you can tell if they are bad or not? Was going to check the injectors last night but got dark. But one question about the injectors. Where the hell are the other 3? I see the 3 obvious ones in the front but where are the other 3 (VE30DE, 5 speed)? About the ball joints. Someone mentioned to pull the bottom of the tire and it should not move or maybe just a little? What the hell is just a little? 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, 1 inch?? Also, could it be ANYTHING else besides these 3 parts?

Sidney
Old 10-10-2002, 08:31 AM

Re: Terrible vibrations when accelerating

Originally posted by sxwk12
What's up people? It's been a while since I have posted. But that's a good thing because I usually only post when I have aproblem with the Max. Anyway, I noticed when I get on the highway and accelerate my whole car starts shaking like it's about to fall apart. Once I get to about 90-95mph, the shaking stops. From the time I get on the highway at about 35mph and accelerate up to about 90mph, the car shakes. It doesn't shake if I don't accelerate though. Only when I accelrate. I just had my tires balanced and besides, the car shakes worse than unbalnced tires. Now I have done my search and found a few possibilities but I would like your opinion on this. All the situations were different in my search so I am trying to narrow this down before this weekend, which is the only time I really have to try some of the things suggested. Anyway, I have narrowed it down to the motor mounts, ball joints,and fuel injectors. I tested the motor mounts last night. Rev the engine while in nuetral (5 speed), engine did not move. Is this the only way you can tell if they are bad or not? Was going to check the injectors last night but got dark. But one question about the injectors. Where the hell are the other 3? I see the 3 obvious ones in the front but where are the other 3 (VE30DE, 5 speed)? About the ball joints. Someone mentioned to pull the bottom of the tire and it should not move or maybe just a little? What the hell is just a little? 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, 1 inch?? Also, could it be ANYTHING else besides these 3 parts?

Sidney
If its injectors, then a loss of power would occur. Is that the case?
Old 10-10-2002, 08:36 AM

Nope, no loss of power. It does idle up and down when the ac is on, I thought that was normal though.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by sxwk12
Nope, no loss of power. It does idle up and down when the ac is on, I thought that was normal though.
Have your wheels and tires balanced. Then I would lean toward engine mounts.

Narrow it down cheapest to most expensive if you can.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:11 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Re: Terrible vibrations when accelerating

Originally posted by sxwk12 Rev the engine while in nuetral (5 speed), engine did not move. Is this the only way you can tell if they are bad or not?
I don't think that a accurate way to check the mounts with a 5spd. You're not putting a load on the engine for it to move if the mounts where bad. Because I'm thinking a car with a auto tranny and has bad mounts, if placed in neutral and rev the engine wouldn't move either. But for the life of me I can't think of a way to check the mounts with a 5spd, besides trying to side step all three pedals while someone looking for excessive engine movement or do some "proper" fast shifting and listen for any abnormal banging noise or prying the motor
Old 10-10-2002, 09:26 AM

What they said. Don't check the fuel injectors unless you have power loss. The other fuel injectors are under the front of the intake plenum. You should be able to see them with a flashlight.