3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Heater Core Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 12:09 PM

Heater Core Replacement

I have a 91 Maxima that is getting greasy/fogging windshield issues whenever the heat's on. If the windshield gets scraped clean with a razor blade, and only ac gets used, everythings cool. As soon as the heat goes on, crap on the windshield.

I assume this means the heater core is trash. So I went to the dealer to order a new one (why doesn't anyone sell one aftermarket?)

I have heard conflicting opinions about the installation. The dealer said 5.5 hours. Technician standing there told me that means the dash doesn't come out. AC has to be discharged according to him, but if the whole dash came out, he said it would have listed a lot more hours. According to some dude I wrote this about earlier, he said the dealer wanted 12 hours and that the whole thing was ridiculously complicated and tedious.

Anyone have any experience replacing the heater core on this car? I've done a few, but not a Maxima (yet). I'd really appreciate any tips/info/advice -- the manual I have (Chiltons) doesn't really help much...
Old 10-10-2002, 01:16 PM

Re: Heater Core Replacement

Originally posted by gruven
I have a 91 Maxima that is getting greasy/fogging windshield issues whenever the heat's on. If the windshield gets scraped clean with a razor blade, and only ac gets used, everythings cool. As soon as the heat goes on, crap on the windshield.

I assume this means the heater core is trash. So I went to the dealer to order a new one (why doesn't anyone sell one aftermarket?)

I have heard conflicting opinions about the installation. The dealer said 5.5 hours. Technician standing there told me that means the dash doesn't come out. AC has to be discharged according to him, but if the whole dash came out, he said it would have listed a lot more hours. According to some dude I wrote this about earlier, he said the dealer wanted 12 hours and that the whole thing was ridiculously complicated and tedious.

Anyone have any experience replacing the heater core on this car? I've done a few, but not a Maxima (yet). I'd really appreciate any tips/info/advice -- the manual I have (Chiltons) doesn't really help much...
yes, i had the same friggin problem and ended up getting the thing fixed by one of my dads business partners. i ended up paying $800 because the technician decided to take apart the dash. the only reason i won't cap him in the knees is i am not breathing in antifreeze anymore. so i feel your pain, it is an EXPENSIVE job just make sure to talk to somebody that knows what they are DOING. good luck to you.
justin
Old 10-10-2002, 01:24 PM

Re: Re: Heater Core Replacement

I was planning to do this myself. So if anyone out there has little morsels of wisdom, I'd appreciate it. I also need to do some housekeeping on the dash (fix the clock, lights on the climate controls, etc), so if it comes down to it, and the dash has to come out, so be it. Can anyone confirm having to discharge the ac? Also, is there a more environmentally safe way to discharge it besides just uncorking? I'd rather not have to pay to have it discharged and then have to refill it, but again, if that's what it takes, I guess I can justify the expense by saving on buying sunscreen.

Hasn't anyone done this themselves?
Old 10-10-2002, 03:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Heater Core Replacement

Originally posted by gruven
I was planning to do this myself. So if anyone out there has little morsels of wisdom, I'd appreciate it. I also need to do some housekeeping on the dash (fix the clock, lights on the climate controls, etc), so if it comes down to it, and the dash has to come out, so be it. Can anyone confirm having to discharge the ac? Also, is there a more environmentally safe way to discharge it besides just uncorking? I'd rather not have to pay to have it discharged and then have to refill it, but again, if that's what it takes, I guess I can justify the expense by saving on buying sunscreen.

Hasn't anyone done this themselves?
My brother and I did earlier this year... COrrection, my brother did, I just took the dash apart...
1) It IS a 12 hour job
2) You DO need to take the dash apart, but only the covers, you don't have to take the gauges out and stuff.
3) You have to remove the airbag controller, the core is located right behind the glove compartment...
You have to basically gut the entire center console to get to it, frame, wires, everything.
The only reason you have to discharge the AC is to move the core the 1/2" you need to pull it completely out.
I would seriously suggest getting an FSM to do it, the Haynes manual really does suck, hardcore.
It's a royal PITA, but if you think you have the skills to do it, then by all means, go ahead, it'll be a HELLUVA lot cheaper...
Especially since the core itself is $300 and dealer-only...
Old 10-10-2002, 04:11 PM

Dude why not just add some sealer/additive to the antifreeze?? buy some of those pellets for like $2, run the heater and it'll seal up.

I know how you feel, its a cheap fix. I'd also want to do the complete job.