3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

PLEASE HELP NEED HELP WITH THOSE DAMN BOSE SPEAKERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2000, 10:47 AM

Ok, I just bought a 91 SE, and the dude said that the radio wasn't working, like he couldn't get any sound. He said that when he first got it from the auction that it was working, but not that great, and then he said it would stop making noise sometimes, and then later it would work, then the past few days he said it hasn't wokred at all, and now that I bought it, I put my new deck in, thinkin it was just the deck that didn't work, and the damn speakers STILL don't work. I know that they each have a seperate amp,and I checked the fuses in the car, and none of them were blown......any ideas??????????
Old 12-22-2000, 10:49 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

well 1) no need to use CAPS in your subject lines...its a form of yelling and people will be LESS likely to read your question...

2) the BOSE speakers are notorious for going bad...mine did the same and i just replaced everything...if you use aftermarket speakers you will need to create new speaker pods and run new wiring...not as hard as it seems but it will be cheaper and a hell of a lot better than trying to get yours rebuilt...
Old 12-22-2000, 10:52 AM

Thanx, That's kinda what I DIDNT want to hear, but oh well..... how much did it cost you? Aren't those speakers in the back 6x9's or 6x8's? Sorry bout the caps, I'm just really frustrated that i just got the damn thing and I'm not gonna be able to have sound for a while
Old 12-22-2000, 10:55 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

its ok...well i reused the pods in the back but rewired them...i used 6X9's...the front pods are odd...it will most likely be impossible to find a replacement to fit in them...i made my own speaker pods with plywood...i went with 5 1/4's but you can go up to 6.5 which is what most people end up going with...i did it all myself so it only cost me whatever the speakers cost...
Old 12-22-2000, 11:40 AM

you put a 'new' deck in you say? What brand? If it's not an OEM BOSE/Clarion deck then it'll create problems running the speaker amps. If you go with an aftermarket deck, you must either buy an adaptor to run the BOSE speakers, or install all aftermarket speakers.

By the way, it's easy to fix the music cutting off/on problem. The problem to this is the 'steering signal' for the BOSE amps, which comes from the deck, can be interrupted by a loose resistor or something in the deck. what you can do is cut the steering signal wire and hook it up to a +12V ignition source, so the BOSE amps are on when the ignition is on. I did this to mine and have had no more cutting out. sometimes my radio's display goes off and the power antenna goes down, but music still plays!
Old 12-22-2000, 12:05 PM
4 Maximas and counting

I got replacement bose speaker for $65 from

http://www.davescoolstuff.com

a guy who posts in ngs about bose repair is Lewis @

http://www.carstereohelp.com

Originally posted by HockeyPimpRHS
Thanx, That's kinda what I DIDNT want to hear, but oh well..... how much did it cost you? Aren't those speakers in the back 6x9's or 6x8's? Sorry bout the caps, I'm just really frustrated that i just got the damn thing and I'm not gonna be able to have sound for a while
Old 12-22-2000, 04:36 PM

yeah, i got the amps replaced at http://www.carstereohelp.com/ for $80 bucks and installed a Pioneer Cd player, but you must also buy the cross over amp so it will be compatible with the Bose speakers. it was about $600 or so for everything, but that is still pretty cheap, and the sound is awesome. good luck
Old 12-22-2000, 10:27 PM
davis449

That guy Dave is good and trustworhty. My CD player in my Max broke and it would skip like an S.O.B. for tow years. I sent it to him and he fixed it. He has a 24 hour turnaround time too! Go to him if you want to fix that problem. He can fix pretty much any Bose problem.

Old 12-22-2000, 10:42 PM

I had the same problem with my BOSE deck. Poor solder joints and capacitors are typical for this unit. There's a BOSE authorized center near me (Setauket,NY) that fixes most head unit problems for $68. You can try them at631) 751-1803 My unit has been working great and it sure beats spending all of that extra cash!

---Paul
Old 12-23-2000, 09:05 PM
MSK

The guys in NewYork fixed all four of my speakers and returned the amps to me within a week. Around $60 per piece. I really liked their work. Those guys were the cheepest I found on the internet.
good luck