3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

headlight problem!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2000, 07:56 PM

hi, I have a 91 Maxima. This car has a common problem with the headlight wattage. first of all, it is not bright enough (45/60 watts). So I upgrade the bulb to some kinda after market 80/100 watts bulb. But after a while, the socket is burn because of the high wattage bulb.

So I am looking for some upgrade option. does anyone know of what ways can i get rid of this problem? (don't suggest me to get another car. i can't afford it . )

I know that APC(www.4apc.com) has a upgrade harness for 9004 bulb. what it does is have some extra wires, relays to the socket can handle high wattage bulb. Does any engineer here can design that kind of upgrade harness? APC is no longer have them. But i know it is gotta be a way to do it!. so i don't mind paying you guys money for a diagram or home made product.

I really appreciate your help or suggestion.

in case u want to discuss with me. email me at chrislee8@hotmail.com.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2000, 08:04 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Carparts.com and Jegs.com has 'em.....

one problem though, they are on back order ffor who knows how long. anyways there is an alternative!! go to <a href="http://www.jacobselectronics.com/">Jacobs Elec.</a> get their phone number and call them up!! they have a "headlight brightener" system too just like APC(probably better anyways), but its not advertised on their site, so you gotta call and see how much. good luck!

Originally posted by chrislee8
hi, I have a 91 Maxima. This car has a common problem with the headlight wattage. first of all, it is not bright enough (45/60 watts). So I upgrade the bulb to some kinda after market 80/100 watts bulb. But after a while, the socket is burn because of the high wattage bulb.

So I am looking for some upgrade option. does anyone know of what ways can i get rid of this problem? (don't suggest me to get another car. i can't afford it . )

I know that APC(www.4apc.com) has a upgrade harness for 9004 bulb. what it does is have some extra wires, relays to the socket can handle high wattage bulb. Does any engineer here can design that kind of upgrade harness? APC is no longer have them. But i know it is gotta be a way to do it!. so i don't mind paying you guys money for a diagram or home made product.

I really appreciate your help or suggestion.

in case u want to discuss with me. email me at chrislee8@hotmail.com.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2000, 08:18 PM

no luck with all those companies!

hi, Da-Max,

Thanks, i did call Jacobs elect. but no luck, one of the rep said they don't carry them no longer.(headlight brightener). so I know there are some technicians, engineers out there know how to do it and for them, it should be easy( maybe a job of a couple of days, i dunno).

That is why i am here to take a chance.

Thanks for your input anyway.

Old 12-22-2000, 08:28 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Damn!! and I was looking into that too....

BUT, there are a set of PIAA superwhite headlights available for our cars!! they are a lot brighter than stocks and are the alotted wattage for our cars! they run about $60/pair. check the usual import tuner sites, if I run across them I'll post 'em up for you, they're somewhere in my "MOD Bible" in my room!!
Old 12-22-2000, 08:28 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Damn!! and I was looking into that too....

BUT, there are a set of PIAA superwhite headlights available for our cars!! they are a lot brighter than stocks and are the alotted wattage for our cars! they run about $60/pair. check the usual import tuner sites, if I run across them I'll post 'em up for you, they're somewhere in my "MOD Bible" in my room!! keep asking around though, maybe one of our resident electronic wizzards will undertake that task, try the main board too!!