3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

rear brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 04:51 PM

rear brake

What's up guys and gals?!

Have a little problem with my car... I recently noticed that one of the rear wheels get pretty hot after driving for 10-20 minutes - significantly warmer than the other. The wheel is not really locked... I can put the car in neutral and push it, so I don't think the caliper is locked completely, but it might be sticking I guess. I tried pulling and releasing the parking brake a few times, hoping it will move the piston back and forth a few times to make it slide more smoothly.. can't really tell if it helped, but one side is still significantly warmer than the other (but not as hot when I first noticed it). So... you think I need to rebuild my caliper or I can just get by lubricating the sliding pins? Could it be that my parking brake cable is just too tight? Anyone had similar problems? My rotors seem to be pretty worn out... so I guess it's time to do a complete brake job.

Thanks for any tips and advice,
Dmitriy
Old 10-21-2002, 07:25 PM

Guys, come on... nobody has an advice for me? What's the best way to check for a sticking caliper?

Also, I looked for caliper rebuild kit... but it seems that it's around $30 and it's for front calipers only. Am I wrong? Where can I get a kit for the rear calipers and how much does it cost?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2002, 08:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by dmitriy
Guys, come on... nobody has an advice for me? What's the best way to check for a sticking caliper?

Also, I looked for caliper rebuild kit... but it seems that it's around $30 and it's for front calipers only. Am I wrong? Where can I get a kit for the rear calipers and how much does it cost?

Thanks!
http://www.courtesyparts.com/J30_brakes.html

for the rears, it called brake caliper seal kit, but it's basically the same thing

I got that kit, took apart my calipers, cleaned everything really well (the outside of the piston was really dirty with stuff caked on there so I cleaned it with some rags and got it shiny and smooth again) and then put it back together with new boots and seals and haven't had any problems in many months since I did it (at least 6 months ago, probably more)

I just removed the brake hose from the caliper and tied it up to the spring. It will leak, but it's pretty slow so just be sure your brake fluid doesn't go empty. I took the caliper to the bench and unscrewed the piston and then cleaned them up and replaced the large piston seal and the outer dust boot. I didn't have any C pliers that were long enough to reach all the C rings in there so I couldn't do that, but I think they're doing fine in there.

Do that and lube the sliding pins and hopefully that should help things out