3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

The big bad vtc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 07:22 AM

The big bad vtc.

The question I have is on the 92SE with the Ve30de motor.I have rebuild my VTC. I have tried the toyota oil filter. I have grounded the solenoids. I still get the loud chatter after about 15 minutes of warm up. My next task was going to be to try and clean out the oil galley leading up to the cam. All the forums that I have read seems to say that it usually starts on start up, but that doesn't seem to be my case. Does any one have any other suggestions on what to do.
Thank you in advance

Lance
Old 10-23-2002, 08:02 AM

are you sure its not belt noise?
Old 10-23-2002, 01:32 PM

Maybe a bad valve lifter or low oil pressure (or both), especially since it occurs after warmup.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:53 PM

rebuilt VTCs?

were the ones you replaced the ones that are redesigned? you will have a more likely chance of damage again if they arnt the redesigned VTCs
Old 10-23-2002, 03:16 PM

Re: rebuilt VTCs?

Originally posted by nismo-max500
were the ones you replaced the ones that are redesigned? you will have a more likely chance of damage again if they arnt the redesigned VTCs
The one I rebuilt was the one that came on the car. I am going to try a oil pressure test tomorrow evening. I really don't believe that it is a lifter as I can feel the chatter on the valve cover right over the VTC. You can hear it with the old screw driver trick over the VTC.

The new VTC, I was reading on the forum that a dealer in Ohio had them for around $280. I tried my local dealer in Asheville NC and they want $487. Would you have any suggestions on were to get them much cheaper.

Thanks for all info. provided

Lance Satchell
Old 10-23-2002, 03:22 PM

Re: Re: rebuilt VTCs?

Originally posted by lsatch64

The one I rebuilt was the one that came on the car. I am going to try a oil pressure test tomorrow evening. I really don't believe that it is a lifter as I can feel the chatter on the valve cover right over the VTC. You can hear it with the old screw driver trick over the VTC.

The new VTC, I was reading on the forum that a dealer in Ohio had them for around $280. I tried my local dealer in Asheville NC and they want $487. Would you have any suggestions on were to get them much cheaper.

Thanks for all info. provided

Lance Satchell
Is there any way to check the timing chain?? I will have a good look at the tensioner when I pull it back down this weekend. It didn't seem to be real loose when I put the rebuilt VTC on the cam.
I am going to pull the cam and blow air down the oil galleys and see if that helps.

Lance
Old 10-23-2002, 06:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: rebuilt VTCs?

Is there any way to check the timing chain?? I will have a good look at the tensioner when I pull it back down this weekend. It didn't seem to be real loose when I put the rebuilt VTC on the cam.
I am going to pull the cam and blow air down the oil galleys and see if that helps.

Lance
I dont know if blowing air is enough. It should probably be cleaned with a chemical solvent. If the solvent would drain down into the oil pan then I would say use carburator cleaner and use the whole can, then run a qt of oil through the galley to flush the cleaner out.

There have also been people on the board who have said that they had a bad ECU, if the output transistor is having trouble putting out enough current then it wont fully actuate the vtc solenoid.

I've had a little vtc tick during warm ups, and I can feel that its the rear vtc. I tried a couple things, one thing was turn on the ignition but not to crank the engine, wait a minute or two, then crank the engine over. It actually made a big difference.
Another thing was I cranked my engine over a little longer, normally it fires in a fraction of a second, but I tried cranking for a full second, and it also made a big difference. I know it sounds funny, but I've been able to start the car without and tick whatsoever. Give it a try.

I plan to do some current and voltage test, to determine if the vtcs are getting what they should in order for the solenoids to operate properly. If I find something funny, I might wire a relay to energize the solenoids. I would use the original vtc power wires to energize the relay and then use a positive line from the battery (as well as using a new ground wire). If anyone thinks to try this make sure they have all the polarities set correctly.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:08 AM

Re: rebuilt VTCs?

Originally posted by nismo-max500
Trust me, I've tried those redesigned VTC sprokets and they work the same oas the original ones. When the car was being fixed the deal er checked the oil gallies, and they were fine / re cleaned. Now 55k later I have one of the sprokets going again. The redesigned units will fail as well. The ONLY way it seems for these parts not to fail is to make a solid sproket without the springs, etc in them.

I'm contemplating several options from getting the rear one replaced again (jeesh i've already spent $1800 on this), short out the solenoid, or just run the darn thing until the engine fails, and junk the car. I'm more inclined to do the last one here..

Happy hunting.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:38 AM

Re: Re: rebuilt VTCs?

Originally posted by aeubank

Trust me, I've tried those redesigned VTC sprokets and they work the same oas the original ones. When the car was being fixed the deal er checked the oil gallies, and they were fine / re cleaned. Now 55k later I have one of the sprokets going again. The redesigned units will fail as well. The ONLY way it seems for these parts not to fail is to make a solid sproket without the springs, etc in them.

I'm contemplating several options from getting the rear one replaced again (jeesh i've already spent $1800 on this), short out the solenoid, or just run the darn thing until the engine fails, and junk the car. I'm more inclined to do the last one here..

Happy hunting.
We still dont know fully why the sprokets fail. oil gallies, bad computer, bad solenoids, bad contacts, spring. The sprokets dont fully engage in the end, and when they dont fully engage is when they tick and in my opinion this is when the spring may be damaged. I feel that the spring is only one of the end results of whatever started the problem.

If you do a full rebuild (or brand new ones) of the VTCs, then I think the solenoids should be replaced (new) as well to complete the job.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:23 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Re: The big bad vtc.

Originally posted by lsatch64 The question I have is on the 92SE with the Ve30de motor.I have rebuild my VTC. I have tried the toyota oil filter. I have grounded the solenoids. I still get the loud chatter after about 15 minutes of warm up. My next task was going to be to try and clean out the oil galley leading up to the cam. All the forums that I have read seems to say that it usually starts on start up, but that doesn't seem to be my case. Does any one have any other suggestions on what to do. Thank you in advance Lance
Mind if I ask exactly how you rebuild your VTC's did you follow according to the TSB? When I rebuild mine (both of them) I followed exactly like the TSB and all went well. It tick for about 2-3 seconds after start-up and have never click again the past 13K miles. I remember a side note in the TSB stating if the two halves of the VTC sprocket aren't put back together in the exact position it will click again. This I found to be the hardess part with the rebuild, that's is why I got someones old VTC sprockets and practice on theirs before attempting the rebuild. And to be honest while I was doing the rebuild I couldn't see why it was so important to have the two halves re-assembled in the same spot. With your rebuild kit did you notice the new spring was thicker than the original spring? And most important did you press the two halves COMPLETELY together? I cant remember the exact lbs. sq. in. force needed to seat it properly but it was up there. Keep in mind there's three timing chains and any one can give you abnormal noise along with the guides and tensioners.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:07 PM

Re: Re: The big bad vtc.

Well I cleaned out the oil gallies. I have changed the chain tensioner as it has a small crack. I have now got a copy of the TSB, so I am going to go back and rebuild another old VTC and see how it goes. Soon as I get some sort of result I will post my findings
Thanks for all the info.

Lance
Old 10-28-2002, 06:51 AM

Over the weekend I got mad and just pulled one of the solenoid connectors. The engine starts and runs fine. The clicking has somewhat subsided. I have taped off the connectors and will run this for a while to see what happens..

Old 10-28-2002, 08:40 PM

Re: Re: The big bad vtc.

I pulled the VTC back off and rebuilt another one by following the TSB. I made sure to mark and align it before and after assembly and it is working great now. I did have the chatter at first but it didn't last long. I then grounded the solanoids. I drove it for about thirty minutes and no noise. I did notice around 5000 rpms that there seems to be a dead spot. I think I will have to venture into the back VTC now, when I have more time. The TSB was a great help.

Thanks for all the helpful information from all that gave input

Lance
Old 10-28-2002, 08:58 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Re: Re: Re: The big bad vtc.

With you rebuilding the VTC correctly there shouldn't be a need to ground the solenoid. One thing I would suggest after rebuilding the second VTC is to check and adjust your ignition timing. Try bumping it to 25* BTDC and see if that doesn't make a big difference, taking into consideration you use premium fuel.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:59 AM

Those folks rebuilding / replacing your VTC's should not notice any problems for quite some time (50k miles). I would be interested in knowing if anyone has ran 100k miles or more on the NEWER VTC's.

Had both of mine replaced with the NEW units, and one has failed. I'm sick of paying for Nissan's incompetence, and will let the engine run until it can no more. Jeesh the car's only worth 3 grand. You'll think twict about spending 1500 on a car to correct this problem AGAIN..

Heppy hunting.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: The big bad vtc.

Could a bad VTC cause the idle to drop way down and cause the car to stall when coming to red light, or after reving it up? It will sit at an idle just fine, you rev it up and then let off and it will some times cut out. I have tried adjusting the timing with no luck.

Thank you

Lance
Old 10-30-2002, 08:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The big bad vtc.

Could a bad VTC cause the idle to drop way down and cause the car to stall when coming to red light, or after reving it up? It will sit at an idle just fine, you rev it up and then let off and it will some times cut out. I have tried adjusting the timing with no luck.

Thank you

Lance
5 speed or Auto??

My timing has not suffered that much since getting the sprokets replaced but the dealer advised me that when the sprokets click for a long enough time the engine will start skipping time, and eventually stall or will not run at all.

If you have a 5speed, how many miles on your current clutch?

How long or do you have sprokets klacking? Do any lights on the dash illuminate while the car is running?

If you don't have the klacking, or if you recently have had your VTC's to start klacking the VTC's are probably not the problem. I would think something like the fuel delivery system could have problems. Fuel filter, injectors, spark plugs, etc..

Just my $0.02