3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Does your hood rub your wipers when you open it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2000, 08:50 AM

Mine contacts the passenger side wiper sometimes when opening the hood. I'm wondering if they're positioned wrong? Maybe someone has taken the wipers of in the past. anybody have any close pics of the wipers?
Old 12-25-2000, 08:52 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

mine does not rub at all. try pulling the wiper arm out and put it up one or 2 notches.

Originally posted by RosenKen
Mine contacts the passenger side wiper sometimes when opening the hood. I'm wondering if they're positioned wrong? Maybe someone has taken the wipers of in the past. anybody have any close pics of the wipers?
Old 12-25-2000, 10:24 AM

mine rubs also so thats why i moved mine wiper to the center.
Patrick
Old 12-25-2000, 10:44 AM

i would take the wiper off and reposition it one notch. someone may have taken it off and put it on wrong. I took mine off once and it was hard to figure out exactly where it used to go.
Old 12-25-2000, 09:11 PM

Its funny you guys mention that.

I thought I was nuts noticing all minor things.

But yes, my hood does touch and move both of my wipers whenever I open it.

It also pops open when I drive at high speed or hit a pothole.

Old 12-25-2000, 11:28 PM

I think that some of you guys may have the same problem that I have. My drivers side wiper used to rub really bad when I opened the hood. The problem was the linkage. One of the plastic ball joints had broken and the wiper seemed to stick out more. Thats probably the problem. If you replace the linkage with one from a junkyard it should solve the problem. If you just have a minor rubbing you can adjust the wiper a little.
Old 12-26-2000, 05:38 PM

Mine does too.....

Whats the procedure to adjust it up a notch or two? Do I just yank UP on pivit point?
Old 01-05-2001, 07:11 AM

Back lip of the bonnet crushes the wiper arm into oblivion when you close it?

I fixed (OK, bodged) this recently.

My wipers have a splined shaft poking through a plastic bush in the bulkhead. The arm is then screwed onto it. Moving the arm over one notch just looked hellish. It parked far to high an ran off the side of the screen.

Handy Home Hint. Before removing it scratch across the shaft top and arm. Match the scratches (or not) when reassembling.

Anyway, where was I?

Years of being crushed etc had frazzled the front half of the bush so that it collapsed slightly, making the wiper lie slightly low when in the parked position. Being slightly low, that meant it got caught next time and so on until it's lower than a gnat's ankle socks.

The Nissan shop didn't have a microfiche picture of the bit I wanted, so obviously it doesn't exist...

Settled by rotating the bush 180 degrees so that the sound part was at the front of the bulkhead hole. What force there is on the bush seems biased towards the front edge, so the slightly crappy half doesn't have to do much work.

This made the wiper shaft sit more firmly and just a smidgeon higher so that I can now slam the bonnet with impunity.
Old 07-15-2001, 07:29 AM

Are you talking about the white plastic ball joint? Any chance do you know how to take one of these apart? I think the ball joint between the passenger and driver linkage part is bad. I am just trying to figure out how to take it out of the car to fix it.

Thanks

Originally posted by chris92gxe
I think that some of you guys may have the same problem that I have. My drivers side wiper used to rub really bad when I opened the hood. The problem was the linkage. One of the plastic ball joints had broken and the wiper seemed to stick out more. Thats probably the problem. If you replace the linkage with one from a junkyard it should solve the problem. If you just have a minor rubbing you can adjust the wiper a little.
Old 07-17-2001, 07:42 AM

Also check to make sure you windsheild wipers are on the correct side. The wiper itself has a letter on it. I believe that this represents where they should be placed. I took my wipers off and painted them. When I replaced them they did hit the hood when it was raised. I had them on backwards ( doop ) when I switched them around I no longer had any problems.