3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Craig-rear signal "mod"

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2000, 11:54 AM

i just went out and tried it...I switched two different sets of bulbs and it didn't do what I wanted. I don't know exactly which ones you're tlaking about? And how come ni the pic you're taking out the bulb itself when you juust need to take off the harness? If you could post that picture of the 4 bulbs and color on the two I am supposed to switch or sumtin, that'd be great.

PJ
Old 12-25-2000, 05:54 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

I thought he had those pics on his website, PJ.... Not sure, but I thought I saw them there.
Old 12-25-2000, 08:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by speednsound007
i just went out and tried it...I switched two different sets of bulbs and it didn't do what I wanted. I don't know exactly which ones you're tlaking about? And how come ni the pic you're taking out the bulb itself when you juust need to take off the harness? If you could post that picture of the 4 bulbs and color on the two I am supposed to switch or sumtin, that'd be great.

PJ
the pic on the website is taking out the bulb because it's just a pic I found in my FSM changing light bulbs and not me doing the mod
you need to just switch the two that are on the outside of the car on each side (ie the blinker and the brake light above it)
the bulbs are all white once you take them out so just watch what they line up to when you put the bulb holders in
Old 12-26-2000, 07:15 AM

yea.

those two are the ones I thought I was suppose to switch, but when I tried the brake light woudl barely strecth, and the signal light was nowhere near making it. Anyone else run into this problem?

PJ
Old 12-26-2000, 08:58 AM

Re: yea.

those two are the ones I thought I was suppose to switch, but when I tried the brake light woudl barely strecth, and the signal light was nowhere near making it. Anyone else run into this problem?

PJ
some people have had this problem,and some have been able to do it just fine so I don't know why it is
you may need to extend the wires in your case. to do that, just cut the exisisting wire, add another length of wire and connect both ends however you want (wire nut, butt connector, etc)
Old 12-26-2000, 12:06 PM

went to get soem wire...

at an electrical store, along with some crimp connectors for all of these wiring jobs of yours I wanna do, and the guy just gave me some 18 gauge speaker wire...He said this shoudl be fine, will it? Just split the two wires apart and use them seperatly?

PJ
Old 12-26-2000, 12:32 PM

that 18 guage should be fine; I wouldn't go much smaller than that, but you'll be allright

just lengthen the wire(cut it, get a new length of wire, connect one end of the new wire to one end of the existing wire, connect other end of new wire to other end of existing wire)

(key: ---------- existing wire, ______ new wire, 0 bulb, X connector (whichever type you use))
exisiting wires ------------- 0
after you do this -------------X________X---0
see what I mean? just add some wire near the end of the current one, then the wires will be long enough to switch the bulb holders

hope this helps
Old 12-26-2000, 03:46 PM

haha...

Craig, didn't need to spell it out that specific. I'm not THAT stupid ...Well I tried to do the wiring, and lengthen all the wires, man those crimp connectors are a biz-atch! Afetr it was doen the bulbs worked and were in the new places but i coudln't put the assembly back in, then trying to pack the wires in tight so I coudl the connectors were comming loose. I just decided to bag it and return everything to as original as possible, well while doing that I accidentally ripped one of the wires out of the bottom of one of the bulbs housings. Tried to fix it, but it's a one time use kinda thing so I ahve to go get a new one, think the Nissan dealership will ahve just that? I'm not gonna buy a whole new houseing for this, if they don't ahve just the holder I'll hit up a junkyard for one. Oh, I also broke two of the 1157 bulbs during this, one filament from each broke.

PJ
Old 12-26-2000, 09:02 PM

Re: haha...

Craig, didn't need to spell it out that specific. I'm not THAT stupid ...Well I tried to do the wiring, and lengthen all the wires, man those crimp connectors are a biz-atch! Afetr it was doen the bulbs worked and were in the new places but i coudln't put the assembly back in, then trying to pack the wires in tight so I coudl the connectors were comming loose. I just decided to bag it and return everything to as original as possible, well while doing that I accidentally ripped one of the wires out of the bottom of one of the bulbs housings. Tried to fix it, but it's a one time use kinda thing so I ahve to go get a new one, think the Nissan dealership will ahve just that? I'm not gonna buy a whole new houseing for this, if they don't ahve just the holder I'll hit up a junkyard for one. Oh, I also broke two of the 1157 bulbs during this, one filament from each broke.

PJ
from what it sounds like, you could probably solder the wire back to the bottom of the bulb; otherwise, you could probably buy that part from a dealer, but it would probably be fairly expensive so if you or someone you know can solder, you could probably take care of it, if not try a junkyard
sorry that you went through all this trouble and still weren't able to get it working; if you ever have your car in Atlanta area, I'll do all the rewires for you =)
Old 12-27-2000, 09:43 AM

yes..

I could soldier it, I'll have to find out if my dad has a soldering iron. If not, i'm hitting up Nissan/Junk Yards. Hey, what about if I get you a plane ticket? Do you install springs/struts also? haha, j/p man thanks.

PJ
Old 12-27-2000, 11:37 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

hey i had the same problem....i just lengthened the wires and thats it. it looks great