3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Can you help a girl that can't figure something out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 07:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can you help a girl that can't figure something out?

I decided to buy the maxima, and am going to go have one more look at it tonight....
The car is in immaculate condition...... whoever owned it treated it like one of their kids.
never had even a BUBBLE of rust.... and even the leather seats have been well looked after. they aren't even faded.
Now, my question is... when i asked the salesman, (this is at a used car dealship, THEY got it from an estate sale.. belonged to some older man) how many km were on it.. he said he didn't know... that it was in miles... well. that is fine (i can always do the math)... but it is the digital dash, and i am assuming that you can swtich back and forth between km and miles..... can someone tell me how to do this? And it sounds like there have been many problems with the digital dash and HUD... so how do i find out if it is working correctly? What should i look for?

Thanks! help would be really appreciated!! i know some things about cars.... but cmon! i am driving an Axxess van! what do i know about a maxima

Gilly
Old 10-28-2002, 07:59 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

get a title search from carfax.com. they can give u an idea if there's ODO tampering or any other problems on the title.

good luck..
Old 10-28-2002, 08:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by DanNY
get a title search from carfax.com. they can give u an idea if there's ODO tampering or any other problems on the title.

good luck..
Thanks hon, but I am in Canada does that make a difference?

Gilly

and i really doubt that the guy might have tampered with the odo... i mean... I don't even know how to on this car.... it is all different than the one i have now... i and now how i would do it there
Old 10-28-2002, 08:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Can you help a girl that can't figure something out?

The digital dash does have a button on it, you twist it to one side and let go and it will change over. The only was the mileage would be different is if the digital dash has been changed out with a new one. Yes there have been problems with the dash but there are places to ge them fixed, (search on this site). Check the brightness and clarity of the digital dash.

Good luck
Old 10-28-2002, 08:54 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by Gilah

Thanks hon, but I am in Canada does that make a difference?

Gilly

and i really doubt that the guy might have tampered with the odo... i mean... I don't even know how to on this car.... it is all different than the one i have now... i and now how i would do it there
it shouldn't make a difference if US or canada..but try it anyway. u might have to pay for it...if u do then post the VIN number and i'm sure someone can help u out.

really doubt...but play it safe ya know.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:44 AM

Like Dan said try to run a CarFax report on it. There's also a couple other ones that are probably cheaper (you could search google). It may be like 15 bucks to do it, or you can post the VIN and someone with an account will do it for ya.

As far as the digital dash, quite a few people have had problems with it. If it seems to be working - comes on, lights up, tells you proper speed, trip meter works fine, etc. then you should be okay.

Now if it doesnt come on at all or something like that, then well it's obviously screwed. From my understanding it's kinda expensive to get the digital dash fixed.

Good luck
Old 10-28-2002, 09:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by James12345
Like Dan said try to run a CarFax report on it. There's also a couple other ones that are probably cheaper (you could search google). It may be like 15 bucks to do it, or you can post the VIN and someone with an account will do it for ya.

As far as the digital dash, quite a few people have had problems with it. If it seems to be working - comes on, lights up, tells you proper speed, trip meter works fine, etc. then you should be okay.

Now if it doesnt come on at all or something like that, then well it's obviously screwed. From my understanding it's kinda expensive to get the digital dash fixed.

Good luck
Well, i am actually off right now to have another look at the car, and i decided to make a trip to the nissan dealership with it and have them have a look at it. So hopefully everything is working ok eh, and i will get the car
Thanks all, for all of your help!!
Gilly
Old 10-28-2002, 01:09 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Good luck in your purchase, Gilly. Let us know how it comes out!
Old 10-28-2002, 04:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

OMIGOSH

Well.... i took the car into the nissan dealership... and the techie there glanced at it and was amazed. said he had NEVER seen one in that great of shape... (it had also turned out the car had originally been purchased from there. and had all of its repairs done there- except for the past 2 years... they hadn't seen it since)
then he put it up and had a look under it.... and i was immediatly saddened.
IT needed a new steering rack(which i had noticed on the way THERE) both manifold were warped and broken.... the struts in the back were starting to leak....... amonst a few other problems.... these were ones i COULD not fix......... and this all coming froma dealer who said it was in PERFECT shape... lol
SO.. while i have to say i fell in LOVE with the car (i have NEVER driven a better one) i cannot get it. but am now SEARCHING for another. i doubt i will find one though. this is the first one I have seen with the digital display, and HUD, and digital climate control.... and sunroof... and leather seats. and oh oh i am going to sob
lol thanks for your help though guys! (maybe i will find another? cross your fingers eh?!)

Gilly
Old 10-28-2002, 04:36 PM

Re: OMIGOSH

Originally posted by Gilah
Well.... i took the car into the nissan dealership... and the techie there glanced at it and was amazed. said he had NEVER seen one in that great of shape... (it had also turned out the car had originally been purchased from there. and had all of its repairs done there- except for the past 2 years... they hadn't seen it since)
then he put it up and had a look under it.... and i was immediatly saddened.
IT needed a new steering rack(which i had noticed on the way THERE) both manifold were warped and broken.... the struts in the back were starting to leak....... amonst a few other problems.... these were ones i COULD not fix......... and this all coming froma dealer who said it was in PERFECT shape... lol
SO.. while i have to say i fell in LOVE with the car (i have NEVER driven a better one) i cannot get it. but am now SEARCHING for another. i doubt i will find one though. this is the first one I have seen with the digital display, and HUD, and digital climate control.... and sunroof... and leather seats. and oh oh i am going to sob
lol thanks for your help though guys! (maybe i will find another? cross your fingers eh?!)

Gilly
There's gotta be many a 3rd Gen Max's up there. Just go lookin for another.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi, I have had trouble with the digital dash, try starting the car on cold day, the nature of the problem is that it stays black until the car warms up and eventually stays out completely. Ask the owner if they have ever had it stay out when it was cold, they might be honest. I havnt had trouble with the heads up display. To switch from KM to MILES, just use the two peg type swithes sticking out of the dash, just turn them or push them in cant remember which way, I have my dash out right now.