3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Taping sound in dash when key turned to ACC

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 04:39 PM

Taping sound in dash when key turned to ACC

Hey folks,

My 89 makes a tat tat tat tat etc sound when I put the key in and turn it to the 2nd position, the one before it starts. It also does this after car is running for about 5 minutes then quits. It seems to be coming from the dash behind the heater controls and above the glovebox. Anyone ever had anything like this happen to them. Its really weird, and pretty loud. I know its not the starter or anything like that, cause it does it even when not starting car. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 10-31-2002, 07:54 PM

Re: Taping sound in dash when key turned to ACC

Mine does the exact same thing but only when I turn the defrost on, but it didnt' do it before I wrecked it. I want to know what it is too
Old 11-04-2002, 07:24 AM

Check your clearance on the fan motor.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:18 AM

It did it again this morning. Comes from behind the right vent on the center console and sort of behind the glovebox. I left the key in and started pulling fuses to see if I could get a hint at what it was. It quit when I pulled the AC fuse. Now, I did not have the fan going or anything. So could it be some kind of relay or motor that switches the airflow or something? Surely this has happened to someone else before. Please help!
Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-04-2002, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by 89sks
It did it again this morning. Comes from behind the right vent on the center console and sort of behind the glovebox. I left the key in and started pulling fuses to see if I could get a hint at what it was. It quit when I pulled the AC fuse. Now, I did not have the fan going or anything. So could it be some kind of relay or motor that switches the airflow or something? Surely this has happened to someone else before. Please help!
Thanks,
Steve
I have the exact same problem. I haven't noticed it in a while though since it has gotten cooler.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by pezking4

I have the exact same problem. I haven't noticed it in a while though since it has gotten cooler.
Mine only does it when its cooler. Thats weird.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by 89sks

Mine only does it when its cooler. Thats weird.
Well I'm going to have to check now, cause I'm curious. I've only had my maxima since April, so it has been in warm weather until now.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:28 PM

Well I'm going to have to check now, cause I'm curious. I've only had my maxima since April, so it has been in warm weather until now.
I could leave the key in the accessory position and hear it ticking without engine running, and remove the ac fuse, 3rd from the bottom right I believe, and it would stop, put it back in and it would start again, do it a couple of times more and it quit all together. It doesnt seem to matter if the fan/ac/recirculate/ or any of the vent postions is depressed or not. Im wondering if there is some kind of relay or motor back there that clicks a while cause the old grease in its too thick and sludgey when its cold. Once mine quits and subseqently the car is warm it wont do it again until the car is completely cooled down inside. Let me know if you figure anyting out. I am going to try and look at some diagrams to see whats back there. Good luck!
Steve
Old 11-06-2002, 03:15 PM

By looking at various diagrams in Chiltons and Haynes, there doesnt seem to be anything mechanical in that area. (behind right vent in center console and further back almost over glove box. Could there be anything in the Heater AC control that would make a ticking or tapping sound? The airmix motor is down below the radio, which is not where the sound is coming from. Has anyone had to replace their AC/heater control before because of strange sounds? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-08-2002, 04:25 PM

update

The ticking or tapping sound is not the Climate control as I had guessed. I hooked another control in and it did the same. Also I could hear it more under the passenger footwell. Its somewhere in the main AC unit/blower. Anyone have any ideas, are there any switches there or relays. If I press the defrost switch and another vent selector at the same time it quits while holding them down. Sometimes if you pull the fuse and reinsert it a hundred times it stops. Its really annoying me, so any help would be wonderful!

Steve
Old 12-09-2002, 05:14 AM

mine does this but.... my car has to be running with the ac off and it will do it on its own for about 5 min but if i push the brake it will do it and it sounds like it is coming from the center consol not the dash
Old 12-09-2002, 01:19 PM
rustangkilla

Mine makes the same noise, but ONLY when the defrost button is in.

Maybe it has something to do with the air being routed up to the defrost vents, and when air is blowing out of the main vents it gets sealed up somehow?

Old 12-09-2002, 05:06 PM

Desperate, please help!

Originally posted by rustangkilla
Mine makes the same noise, but ONLY when the defrost button is in.

Maybe it has something to do with the air being routed up to the defrost vents, and when air is blowing out of the main vents it gets sealed up somehow?
Surely someone has had this happen to them? It is driving me crazy. I just cant afford to have the dealer play hit and miss by replacing all the expensive AC parts until they get it fixed.
Thanks in advance