3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Another IDLE question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 06:59 PM

Another IDLE question

92SE idle problem. The car will sit at idle and sound great, but when I rev it up and let off it will drop to no RPMs and will try to cut out. If I am driving down the road and go to stop at a red light it will cut out. It will start straight back up. I have cleaned the trottle body, and checked the timing. I have looked through the forums but don't seem to be having any luck with any results. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Lance
Old 11-01-2002, 08:09 AM

Re: Another IDLE question

Originally posted by lsatch64
92SE idle problem. The car will sit at idle and sound great, but when I rev it up and let off it will drop to no RPMs and will try to cut out. If I am driving down the road and go to stop at a red light it will cut out. It will start straight back up. I have cleaned the trottle body, and checked the timing. I have looked through the forums but don't seem to be having any luck with any results. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Lance
clean the IACV.
search, you'll find the procedure.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:11 AM

Re: Re: Another IDLE question

I have sprayed a can full of carb and choke cleaner in to the hoses at the throttle body, and the area that I think is IACV. I have found that one of the hoses is in bad shape, so I will try and replace it tonight. It is on the left bottom side of the throttle body and run over towards the block. I will post when I have the results.

Thanks

Lance
Old 11-07-2002, 06:03 AM

Re: Re: Re: Another IDLE question

I have replaced vaccum hose and tried adjusting the throttle postion sensor. I have cleaned the AAC valve. Still no luck. I suppose I will have to try and remove the throttle body and clean it out real good. Does anyone else have any suggestions. I have thought that maybe the MAF could be going, but I thought that would cause the idle to go up and down all the time and that is not my issue here. I have a picture of the ECCS that Craig has posted, but It is not real clear about the unit that sits under the throttle body. Is that the IACV?

Thanks

Lance
Old 11-07-2002, 01:03 PM

I recall reading that you shouldn't use carb cleaner on the Max's engine because the intake has some type of coating on it. I used a product that Wynn's makes called intake cleaner. According to the directions, it's safer for our cars. Anyone have any comments on this?
Old 11-08-2002, 12:53 PM

IDLE PROBLEM

I have the same problem on my 93 se. Mine is a 5sp and I notice it when I put the clutch in and start to apply the brakes. I have done most of the cleaning as you have and still have the problem. I have gone as far as reset the computer and that will fix the problem temporarily, but within a week and a half to two weeks, it is back. I have started to suspect that since it will correct it with a computer reset for a couple of weeks, it may be a malfunction of the computer itself. Does anyone have any opinions on this?
Old 11-08-2002, 01:24 PM

Re: IDLE PROBLEM

Originally posted by SCOTTFISH
I have the same problem on my 93 se. Mine is a 5sp and I notice it when I put the clutch in and start to apply the brakes. I have done most of the cleaning as you have and still have the problem. I have gone as far as reset the computer and that will fix the problem temporarily, but within a week and a half to two weeks, it is back. I have started to suspect that since it will correct it with a computer reset for a couple of weeks, it may be a malfunction of the computer itself. Does anyone have any opinions on this?
Is there a way to reset the computer w/o removing the battery cable?
Old 11-11-2002, 05:31 AM

reset

Yes, if you take the right panel of your console off(passenger side, where the radio/ac/heat is), there should be the ecu unit. You will know it because it is sort of silver or grey and has a hole in it that you can see a screw slot that you can turn. On mine, it had never been used and there was a clear plastic film over the screw slot/hole. You would just need to break the film to get to the screw. If you start your car and turn the screw (I believe clockwise) all the way, this should put your ecu in diagnostic mode. Then you can turn it back to normal and from what I understand, it resets the computer. The easiest way, though, is to just pull the positive cable off your battery for about 30 min to an hour. This will reset everything.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:49 PM

The easiest way, though, is to just pull the positive cable off your battery for about 30 min to an hour. This will reset everything.
i thought it was the negative cable. also for the idle problem, try checking the plug wires.