3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I am totally baffled on this one (a little long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 10:40 PM

I am totally baffled on this one (a little long)

OK,

My power steering system has been acting up a bit lately. Whenever I fill up with gas, my PS will not be able to "keep up" when I turn the wheel, and I get a little bit of squeal. It is really becoming annoying, and I can't for the life of me figure out the relationship between a full gas tank and a problem with my power steering pump. Any ideas anyone?

P.S. It happens regardless of whether I was at a half tank, nearly empty, or anywhere in between, so it's not just an interval thing. I stop at the pump, turn off the car, fill up, and turn the car back on, and like clockwork every time, when I start it up I can barely make it out of the parking lot.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:53 PM
STFU n00b!

WTF?! weird..... buy a new PS pump and be done with the problem. your current one has ghosts in it.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
WTF?! weird..... buy a new PS pump and be done with the problem. your current one has ghosts in it.
JUst in time for Halloween too
Old 11-02-2002, 07:03 AM

Re: I am totally baffled on this one (a little long)

Originally posted by grody
OK,

My power steering system has been acting up a bit lately. Whenever I fill up with gas, my PS will not be able to "keep up" when I turn the wheel, and I get a little bit of squeal. It is really becoming annoying, and I can't for the life of me figure out the relationship between a full gas tank and a problem with my power steering pump. Any ideas anyone?

P.S. It happens regardless of whether I was at a half tank, nearly empty, or anywhere in between, so it's not just an interval thing. I stop at the pump, turn off the car, fill up, and turn the car back on, and like clockwork every time, when I start it up I can barely make it out of the parking lot.
Maybe you just need to snug up the PS belt.

Mine didnt assist my steering enough, I couldnt hear any squeeling or anything, but simply snugging up the belt solved the problem.

BTW, your fuel level has absolutley nothing to do with your PS pump.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:07 AM

Re: Re: I am totally baffled on this one (a little long)

Originally posted by eric93SE

Maybe you just need to snug up the PS belt.

Mine didnt assist my steering enough, I couldnt hear any squeeling or anything, but simply snugging up the belt solved the problem.

BTW, your fuel level has absolutley nothing to do with your PS pump.
I know that it shouldn't, but it happens every single time i fill up, without fail, and never any other time.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:20 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: I am totally baffled on this one (a little long)

Originally posted by grody

I know that it shouldn't, but it happens every single time i fill up, without fail, and never any other time.
You've just entered... the MAXIMA zone!!!
Old 11-03-2002, 06:16 PM

hmm mine makes a squeal noise and drops the RPM like 100 at idle when turning hard left or right standing still. Also in the cold morning it seems to boost a lot less, either that or the tires are cold and are harder to turn. Fuel level doesn't seem to have anything to do with it doing that stuff though, car does seem really sluggish when it's running really low on fuel though, but no steering issues.