3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

4th gen springs on 3rd gen???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 05:55 PM

4th gen springs on 3rd gen???

is this even a little possible? what needs to be done to get them to work?
Old 11-02-2002, 10:40 PM
Ford Only.

3rd gen = IRS
4th gen = Beam

I beleive the 4th gen has rear shocks and we have rear struts...so NO!
Old 11-02-2002, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
3rd gen = IRS
4th gen = Beam

I beleive the 4th gen has rear shocks and we have rear struts...so NO!
someone mentioned altima springs on a 3rd gen...any ideas?
also, i dont think it would make any difference which setup (irs or beam) the car has, so long as the springs will mount to the perches, spring rates and what not can be compensated for if need be.
Old 11-02-2002, 11:40 PM
Ford Only.

the 3rd gen rear struts are much longer than the 4th gens, therefore you would have longer springs...altima's I dont know, but I do know that Struts and Springs are not the type of thing to just play with, they are a PITA and if you are having someone do this you are going to pay and if you are going to do it, the chances are your car will be down for some time and good luck finding the right spring and not wasting your time and money, what is wrong with the 3rd gens springs? Intrax/Eibach/Sprint/Suspension Tech.
Old 11-02-2002, 11:56 PM

the 3rd gen rear struts are much longer than the 4th gens, therefore you would have longer springs...altima's I dont know, but I do know that Struts and Springs are not the type of thing to just play with, they are a PITA and if you are having someone do this you are going to pay and if you are going to do it, the chances are your car will be down for some time and good luck finding the right spring and not wasting your time and money, what is wrong with the 3rd gens springs? Intrax/Eibach/Sprint/Suspension Tech.
I guess some people have too much time on their hands. Just buy stuff that is made for our cars and not waste your time and money.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:50 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by D-sta

I guess some people have too much time on their hands. Just buy stuff that is made for our cars and not waste your time and money.
Kinda like the BMW headlight thing, huh?
Old 11-03-2002, 08:09 AM

The springs will probably fit, but the ride height of the front and back will probably be messed up. Plus the spring rates will be different so it may handle like crap.
Old 11-03-2002, 08:32 AM

i want coilovers is basically what it boils down to.
Old 11-03-2002, 08:38 AM

Altima and Stanza front suspensions will bolt onto the maxima without a problem. Since the Altima and Stanza front suspension is shorter than the maxima's, they'll even have an added bonus of lowering the front of the maxima, but with stock comfort. The Altima springs are as wide as the maxima springs, the stanza springs are a little more 'skinny'. I wouldn't use stanza parts because they're aren't any performance front struts for stanzas.

If you guys use maxima lowering springs on altima struts, it might be best because the strut itself is shorter. I don't know if maxima springs will 'fit' onto altima struts perfectly though.

You guys can look into it if you want. Go to a junkyard.
Old 11-03-2002, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by tilt
The springs will probably fit, but the ride height of the front and back will probably be messed up. Plus the spring rates will be different so it may handle like crap.
which springs?
Old 11-03-2002, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by Sudesh
Altima and Stanza front suspensions will bolt onto the maxima without a problem. Since the Altima and Stanza front suspension is shorter than the maxima's, they'll even have an added bonus of lowering the front of the maxima, but with stock comfort. The Altima springs are as wide as the maxima springs, the stanza springs are a little more 'skinny'. I wouldn't use stanza parts because they're aren't any performance front struts for stanzas.

If you guys use maxima lowering springs on altima struts, it might be best because the strut itself is shorter. I don't know if maxima springs will 'fit' onto altima struts perfectly though.

You guys can look into it if you want. Go to a junkyard.
what about rear? if the springs will work on the maxima, then if i were to get an altima rear cartridge, then it would should work with the maxima housing as i wouldnt want to change the brakes and whatever else is back there that may be different. i love how some things can be frankensteined.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:03 AM
Ford Only.

Well you guys have fun trying to adapt $400 suspension to your car, and when it is all said and done, your car will not handle much different than someone that put some Tockico/Eibach's on.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by MaDMaX024

what about rear? if the springs will work on the maxima, then if i were to get an altima rear cartridge, then it would should work with the maxima housing as i wouldnt want to change the brakes and whatever else is back there that may be different. i love how some things can be frankensteined.
Go to a junk yard and find out the rest. I'm not going to provide you with every ounce of information you need. I've discussed the relationship of the stanza and maxima before.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:09 AM

Well you guys have fun trying to adapt $400 suspension to your car, and when it is all said and done, your car will not handle much different than someone that put some Tockico/Eibach's on.
thanks for the encouragement. i'm not looking for handling, if i were, i'd get koni's and eibachs. i'm satisfied with the way my car handles now (but i will add sways and SFC's when i take it apart again..when its warmer than 25*), the purpose of coilovers, for me, is to have ride height adjustability. with shortened struts, i could go lower and still have a good ride. i wouldnt get bags because they probably take away from the handling, and besides, i have better things to spend $2500+ on.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by Sudesh

Go to a junk yard and find out the rest. I'm not going to provide you with every ounce of information you need. I've discussed the relationship of the stanza and maxima before.
i understand that you've discussed it before, but from what you've said in this thread, you've discussed how the front will bolt up and thats only half the battle.
if you know the answer to my question, why not tell me? if you've said it in another thread, i dont get offended when you tell me to search. alot of times, i dont ask people to repeat themselves unless they've answered the same question more than once and the answers arent consistant with eachother.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:14 AM
Ford Only.

I am trying to save you some hassle. Have you ever taken apart the rears on a 3rd gen? not fun at all...I would just pic a spring you like the drop on and get it, I chose Intrax it is perfect and the wheel gap is nice, those 4th gens were having a hard time in the twisties with me when I was stock, now with SFC's, FSTB and Intrax/Kyb, I think they are in trouble. I personally wouldnt try it dude...it is going to be a PITA and dont coilovers cost $1000?
Old 11-03-2002, 09:18 AM

I am trying to save you some hassle. Have you ever taken apart the rears on a 3rd gen? not fun at all...I would just pic a spring you like the drop on and get it, I chose Intrax it is perfect and the wheel gap is nice, those 4th gens were having a hard time in the twisties with me when I was stock, now with SFC's, FSTB and Intrax/Kyb, I think they are in trouble. I personally wouldnt try it dude...it is going to be a PITA and dont coilovers cost $1000?
i have replaced all my springs and struts. it wasnt difficult at all except lining up the top mount to the rest, but it really wasnt that bad as my STs didnt need to be compressed to get the top mount on in the rear.
for coilovers, i'm talking about ground controls, arospeed, weapon R..whatever the cheap ones, not the 15way JICs or cattmans..
Old 11-03-2002, 09:33 AM
Ford Only.

Well let us know how it works...
Old 11-03-2002, 09:33 AM

Well let us know how it works...
i will if i find out if the altima rears will work on the max.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by MaDMaX024

i understand that you've discussed it before, but from what you've said in this thread, you've discussed how the front will bolt up and thats only half the battle.
if you know the answer to my question, why not tell me? if you've said it in another thread, i dont get offended when you tell me to search. alot of times, i dont ask people to repeat themselves unless they've answered the same question more than once and the answers arent consistant with eachother.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=stanza
Old 11-03-2002, 09:58 AM

so what you said in that thread is the stanza rears will defiantly work. now i'm wondering, stanza ground controls, altima struts (as they are shorter and dont they have adjustable strut options that're cheaper than koni? illumina, AGX..??). i'm not looking to slam my car to the ground so the parallel links and massive negative camber wont be a problem, i just want to go from say sprint height to eibach height, and i want it all even unlike my f/r gaps w/STs.