3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

fuel leaking out guestion,

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 03:47 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

fuel leaking out guestion,

hey, last night I filled up with gas and when I got home, I parked on the driveway, (somewhat steep) ad about a half hour later I went out to pull the car in the driveway and it had leaked some gas from right around the gas tank. I noticed this when I first got my car back from the body shop and filled it up, but I didnt think it was my car (I thought mabey the spot was there from another car because It did not leak when it was in the garage (flat))

My fuel pressure is normal, and the car only does this when its full. I searched and most people with this problem, had it even when the car was flat, and not under the tank, there is no smell of gas in the engine bay.

My question is I know there was a recall for the fuel filler, but most of the people that I read with that problem, it happened all the time not just on the hill, so should I even bother going to the dealer or just go to my mechanic and have him fix it?

Also my heat works reall good when Im driving but if I stop at a light it doesnt get as hot??
Old 11-08-2002, 05:43 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

i'd get the recall done if it applies to you no matter what
Old 11-08-2002, 06:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fuel leak on full gas tank.

Hey n34jz,

I just aquired a 90 SE 5 speed that had exactly the same problem. I got underneath and I could see trails in the dirt on the tank coming down the front of the tank from up where the fuel pump was. I removed the seat (never done anything like that before!) and the fuel pump inspection cover and took a look at the fuel pump. The o-ring underneath had flattened a little and because of that and vibration the fuel pump bolts were all so loose that I removed every one with no tools! Got a new o-ring for $10 tightened everything back down good and have not seen or smelled gas since. Hope that helps.

Maybe you can help me too. What is the story on that recall? I had not heard of that. Does it apply to '90s as well?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2002, 06:58 AM

Re: fuel leaking out guestion,

Originally posted by N34JZ
hey, last night I filled up with gas and when I got home, I parked on the driveway, (somewhat steep) ad about a half hour later I went out to pull the car in the driveway and it had leaked some gas from right around the gas tank. I noticed this when I first got my car back from the body shop and filled it up, but I didnt think it was my car (I thought mabey the spot was there from another car because It did not leak when it was in the garage (flat))

My fuel pressure is normal, and the car only does this when its full. I searched and most people with this problem, had it even when the car was flat, and not under the tank, there is no smell of gas in the engine bay.

My question is I know there was a recall for the fuel filler, but most of the people that I read with that problem, it happened all the time not just on the hill, so should I even bother going to the dealer or just go to my mechanic and have him fix it?

Also my heat works reall good when Im driving but if I stop at a light it doesnt get as hot??
MY heat is the same way..your heater core is probably getting blocked up. I was thinking about removing the heater valve (the one in the engine bay that works off vaccuum) and cleaning it out, but then I figured that if that valve is getting blocked, whatever did that (the previous owner put that Stop LEak stuff in the rad.) certainly would block the core too. At idle the water pump is pushing less, so if the orifices in the core are restricted, the flow of hot coolant is reduced and thus, your heat turns from hot to warm. What sux is my drive to work is less than 15 min and never get over 40 mph, so unless I stay in a low gear and keep it at like 3k rpm, the heat barely gets warm by the time I reach my office. I'm about to spend $50 on a 3000BTU electric heater form JC Whitney. It's small enough and can mount nicely under the glovebox. Sort of a ghetto fix but I don't have the cash or the time to do a heater core.

As for your gas leak, before you go nuts with the recall and stuff, get under there and look at the vent hose that attaches to the tank and attaches to a hard lint that goes up along the filler neck. That hose will crack like any other tubber hose and leak a bit. Mine was like that, I'd get gas leaking out on a full tank, when parked on a hill, and also after "spirited" driving, often when up and down mountain roads. It's a tight squeeze for your hands, but it will be one of those rewarding easy fixes. I had a mechanic look at it when I was getting an oil change and he told me my tank was probably rotting out. HA! Trust me, check this first.