3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Removing door bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 05:21 PM

Removing door bumpers?

I have read some suggestions about removing the door bumpers and wanted to see if anyone had any pics of a 3rd gen with them removed? Mine are all yellowish and nasty so until can get a new paintjob I wanted to see if it would look good with them off. Thanks
Old 11-17-2002, 06:26 PM

Re: Removing door bumpers?

i know exactly what your saying, you have a white max? mine were stained yellow and very ugly until i got the car painted. ive seen the moldings removed before, it leaves a groove from where they "sit". once you take them off im not sure of how easy its going to be to get them back up, in my opinion just deal with it untill the new paint.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:30 PM

there are pics of my car with them off on my site.to put them back on is as simple as cleaning the tape off and taping the new one on. use a heat gun or blowdrier to aid the removal of the molding
Old 11-17-2002, 06:45 PM

not a bad maxima, although if i was planning on transforming a car as you have done i wouldnt choose a 3rd gen maxima, but still great ideas, much props on your body work, definitly cant wait to see the end product, hopefully you can grace the pages of lowrider one day.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by maxedout94
not a bad maxima, although if i was planning on transforming a car as you have done i wouldnt choose a 3rd gen maxima, but still great ideas, much props on your body work, definitly cant wait to see the end product, hopefully you can grace the pages of lowrider one day.

I took my moldings off and THEN got the car painted. I think it looks WAY better. It makes the whole car look clean. I dont have pics yet but soon
Old 11-18-2002, 01:14 PM

been there done that...

take a look at my homepage
taking the door guards off takes a large amount of time.... well the guards them selves come off in seconds, its the big strips of glue that take forever to get off.
- get a few cans of "goof off" and a plastic ice scraper. after you remove the guard then your left with 2 strips of glue poor a lot of goof off on them and work it in with your fingers. let it sit for a few min. (untill it turns to jello) then gab your ice scraper and lightly scrape off the glue... i mayhave scrached my car a tad-bit but you cant tell at all. soo if your start to scrach your car STOP becasue you doing it wrong.
- my car looks a lot better with them off.
-o yea WAX your doors very well after b/c the "goof-off" will take off the existing wax.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:19 PM

if you go to a body shop supply store they sell a special tool that takes the tape off. i dont remember what its called, but it works on a rotary tool(like a dremmel) i only know this because when a shop has to take moldings off to paint a car, especially when blending panels they need to do it as quick as possible, plus when they are blending the arent really putting much paint down, so they can scratch the surface. . if you have a supplier in your area just walk in and explain it to them, theyll know what it is
Old 11-18-2002, 02:05 PM

I had my black emerald maxima re-painted in the same color. I had the shop paint the trim in a metalic black as well as the grill. Looks awesome, you can barely tell there two different colors because the green is so dark. Ill have pics soon.