3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

how to make lights blue??!? please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 08:23 PM

how to make lights blue??!? please help!

hay you guys i have a problem.

i love blue lights! and i tried to purches blue lights for almost every light in my max. but i just cannot seem to find any thing for the lisence plate lights or the little greenish light around where you put the key in the ignition. (i dont know the "scientific" name for it. sorry)
i was wondering if any one knows where can i get those specfic bulbs in a blueish tint or how can i make a tint my self for the existing bulbs (thats always fun)

the one thing that came to mind is to use a marker or nail polish of some kind.
what do you think?? (except that i am a complete idiot for concerning you guys with this stuff!)

thanx alot.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:22 PM
To them I'm like an idol

Re: how to make lights blue??!? please help!

Originally posted by westsider101
hay you guys i have a problem.

i love blue lights! and i tried to purches blue lights for almost every light in my max. but i just cannot seem to find any thing for the lisence plate lights or the little greenish light around where you put the key in the ignition. (i dont know the "scientific" name for it. sorry)
i was wondering if any one knows where can i get those specfic bulbs in a blueish tint or how can i make a tint my self for the existing bulbs (thats always fun)

the one thing that came to mind is to use a marker or nail polish of some kind.
what do you think?? (except that i am a complete idiot for concerning you guys with this stuff!)

thanx alot.
blue lights? I think there is a warehouse somewhere in San Francisco
Old 11-28-2002, 11:45 PM

blue lights are for
Old 11-28-2002, 11:50 PM

Pain them blue!
Old 11-29-2002, 10:22 AM

The "Blue Lights Special" Maxima!
Old 11-29-2002, 11:33 AM

There is special glaspaint in all colours so thats what you
looking for ,so paint them as mentioned before
Old 11-29-2002, 02:49 PM

G thanx!!!!!!

you guys are great help!

does any one have an aswer other to make fun of me or the question at hand?????

please!
Old 11-30-2002, 06:21 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

G thanx!!!!!!

you guys are great help!

please!
search for bulb numbers, Im sure youll find the correct numbers, I think the plate lights are 194's but Im not sure.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:00 AM

Actually, I've modified most of my lights in my Maxima to blue too. Most of the modifiable lights in the car are '194's. You can buy these off of eBay. If you can, try to buy a 10-pack, it's the cheapest way to go. Each of the lights in the doors can be changed out. If you have clear corner lights, the small clear reflector piece could be changed to blue too. If you take apart your dash gauges to change them to indiglo, you can change one of the green bulbs to blue so your odometer will show blue too. And same can be done for your license plate bulbs too, but those are the hardest to get off, I'm still working on it. That makes a total of 9 changeable bulbs using 194s. You can change your dome light too, but make sure you use a xenon filled bulb though, otherwise it's really hard to see at night when the door is open. If you want to change your backup lights to blue too, go for 1156. That's probably as legal as you can go for turning everything blue. It really looks good on black cars.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:31 AM
STFU n00b!

G thanx!!!!!!

you guys are great help!

please!
with all of the people making fun of you, it might suggest that blue lights aren't exactly the coolest thing to do. it was cool for about three weeks... a couple of summers back.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:34 AM
I'm needing a caw

Actually about 1 week. And that week it was sunny. The coolness wore off when you had to actually needed light when it was raining at night.

Originally posted by Matt93SE
with all of the people making fun of you, it might suggest that blue lights aren't exactly the coolest thing to do. it was cool for about three weeks... a couple of summers back.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:11 PM

The blue light only last about a week anyway. The blue burns off of them and they turn white anyway. Plus changing the ones behind your gauge cluster blue doesnt really show blue. Just go buy new gauges for that. Dont paint them with nail polish they will burn quicker and just smell bad after a while. 194 is the size to go with though most of your bulbs inside are that model. Well good luck to you
Old 12-03-2002, 12:12 PM

*HID kid flashback*
Old 12-03-2002, 12:38 PM

you can try bulb condoms
Old 12-03-2002, 12:56 PM

Oh, I didn't mean that the blue bulbs behind the gauge cluster will make your gauges glow blue, I just meant if you're going to put in indiglo gauges, and you didn't want your odometer to glow green, just replace the green "condom" bulb with a blue tinted one. To me, it's actually just as bright as the green one. You still need to buy aftermarket gauges to make your gauges indiglo.

Oh yeah something else to add, I think it would be a pain in the butt to mod the ignition key light. Just trying to get the shell off seemed too difficult, besides, if even, it's probably an LED bulb, but I really doubt it's a modifiable bulb.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:23 PM

AUTO BULBS!!!!!!!!!!

ok we all know the little Blue packages of colored lights that are sold in auto stores (pep-boys..) well i was at a auto zone a year ago and bought pack of red "AUTO BULBS" 194's they cost the same a the blue packaged ones but they DONT FADE! its amazing! i put the bulbs behind the guages..and there still red a year later. i have the other bulbs around my car and they faded an ugly orange about 2 weeks around i used them..
Old 12-03-2002, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by psygnius
Oh, I didn't mean that the blue bulbs behind the gauge cluster will make your gauges glow blue, I just meant if you're going to put in indiglo gauges, and you didn't want your odometer to glow green, just replace the green "condom" bulb with a blue tinted one. To me, it's actually just as bright as the green one. You still need to buy aftermarket gauges to make your gauges indiglo.

Oh yeah something else to add, I think it would be a pain in the butt to mod the ignition key light. Just trying to get the shell off seemed too difficult, besides, if even, it's probably an LED bulb, but I really doubt it's a modifiable bulb.

where did you get the blue tinted one?
Old 12-04-2002, 08:04 AM

where did you get the blue tinted one?
eBay, the cheapest place I could find. I just hope the tint won't wear off, I've only had mine in for like a month, and they still look fine.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by psygnius

eBay, the cheapest place I could find. I just hope the tint won't wear off, I've only had mine in for like a month, and they still look fine.
I am telling you for some reason the blue comes off fast every other color lasts. I have the blue lights for about a week and they turned yellow. I had them also on the outside my side markers they turned also. Maybe try another color unless you want to be changing them like every week. There are blue condoms that work the best but they are hard to find. I still havent found them.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:35 AM

ebay sells the rubber around the bulb or the bulb itself in blue?
if so whan num bulb is it? and its not a 194 for sure cause i have indiglo gauges and took 'em out.
if i can make them blue some how that would be great.
so let me know.

eBay, the cheapest place I could find. I just hope the tint won't wear off, I've only had mine in for like a month, and they still look fine. [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 12-04-2002, 10:21 PM

[B]ebay sells the rubber around the bulb or the bulb itself in blue?
if so whan num bulb is it? and its not a 194 for sure cause i have indiglo gauges and took 'em out.
if i can make them blue some how that would be great.
so let me know.
They sell the blue bulbs itself, without the rubber, only the tinted ones. I just installed indiglo gauges last week, and replaced the bulb for the odometer while I was at it. I'm not sure which ones you installed but I installed the ones from "Procarparts.com". For me, I had to remove 3 of the old green 194 bulbs to slip the wires through. All together, there are 5 places where 194 bulbs would fit, one of which is actually covered with black tape and not used. The remaining bulb near the bottom was the one I removed and replaced.

194 is the generic term for those tiny wedge bulbs. I think they're also known as M9, 168, and a few other numbers that I don't remember. It doesn't specify a color or anything. If you're really worried about them fading and you're willing to spend more, then there's this place that sells the blue glass ones filled with Xenon gas. here. Oh well. Hopefully this helps.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:42 AM

bro maby its because your car is 1990 and myn is 1989, but the bulbs in my odometer are not 194 they are round with a differt shape that does not look at all like the 194.
they look more like a small version of the 1156.
i dunno, but thatx for the info anywayz
maby ill go to a junk yard and get a 1990 instrument panel for my max.
thanx tho.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:56 PM

Hm....that's very interesting. I really dunno why they changed the bulbs after the 89s, and I'm really not too sure which ones you're looking for, but maybe this page have the right bulbs. Hopefully it helps.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You can change almost everysingle bulb except for the ones in the air conditioning. i still dont know how to get to those. If you cant find the certain bulb in a certain color go to a craft store and get the paint that is designed for stained glass its like 2 bucks and you can paint a whoole lot of bulbs. alright. trythat out.
Old 12-07-2002, 06:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

go to www.AutoAccessory.com and they have blue colored bulbs, but let me tell you you can get a ticket for putting blue lights on your car.......
Old 12-25-2002, 03:55 PM

As ghetto as this might sound, I took a perminent blue marker and I colored all of my bulbs blue and 3 months later, they're still blue!! Don't get the bulb condoms, cuz, my friend had some, and they overheated and made his bulbs explode!! Plus, they last like a day or so!! And to keep the blue to my lights, about once or twice every two weeks I'll color them just to make sure that they stay blue. If you do this, then you'll be fine with the color and it's a lot less expensive to do this cuz you only need to buy the marker!! Good luck man!!
Old 12-25-2002, 05:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

do you have to comment on every single post? 'blue bulbs arent exactly the coolest thing to do' is your opinion. i happen to think blue lights are cool (more specifically hyperwhites) and have also made an effort to swap as many bulbs on the car as i can w/ hyperwhite ones. if you dont like it, shut up and dont say anything, big bad moderator
Old 12-25-2002, 06:58 PM

hahaha!!

thanx for that NixMaxGXE!

i know that a blue light thread is probebly not one of the more complicated threads ever to be posted in this forum, but its still a question that i had on my mind and wanted to get advice from other max owners around.
and even tho some people say its dumb, this is the second page of this thread so evedently im not the only one who thought about this idea!

so as my man NixMaxGXE said befor:

if you dont like it, DONT READ IT!!!!

YA BIG BAD MODERATOR!!!!

HAHAHAH!! thats a good one!

ohh and:
MARRY CHRISTMAS YA'ALL!
Old 12-25-2002, 08:50 PM

blue lights arent cool anymore!?! damn i better get with the times