3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

cold weather and brake fluid level

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 05:27 PM

cold weather and brake fluid level

just noticed today when i got up to do some shopping (after- thanksgiving sale ) that my brake light was lit. got out and check my brake fluid levels and it was a little more than half empty. i just filled it back up to full and problem was "fixed." this is the second time this happened. it was about 38 today and the last time it happen was on a cold morning too. my question is how can cold weather affect my brake fluid level? i never notice it on warm days. plus i don't see any visible signs of a leak. any ideas? thanks

~fosgate fan
Old 11-29-2002, 08:12 PM
Tom

It's probably leaking from one of the seals.

I used to have an old Celica when I lived in Colorado and it did the same thing when it got below freezing. It was pretty obvious on my car that it was leaking from the Master Cylinder as the bottom of the brake booster was wet with brake fluid, though.

If you have a GXE with drums in the rear, it may possibly be leaking from a cylinder there. That would be harder to spot.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:27 PM

Re: cold weather and brake fluid level

Originally posted by Fosgate Fan
just noticed today when i got up to do some shopping (after- thanksgiving sale ) that my brake light was lit. got out and check my brake fluid levels and it was a little more than half empty. i just filled it back up to full and problem was "fixed." this is the second time this happened. it was about 38 today and the last time it happen was on a cold morning too. my question is how can cold weather affect my brake fluid level? i never notice it on warm days. plus i don't see any visible signs of a leak. any ideas? thanks

~fosgate fan
Mina acted in a similar way and I discovered the master cylinder was failing. Get it looked at by a reputable dealer/shop. Brakes aren't something to fool around with or wait to fix!
Old 11-29-2002, 11:39 PM

yea i'll take it to a shop very soon. just wanted to know what you guys think. thanks