3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Lights, freezing and jerking ...help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 09:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lights, freezing and jerking ...help!

I have been scouring the forum to see if I can find something that fits my bill but I am not too sure to here goes. I am not a fix it guy myself so I take it to mechanics/ dealers and thats why I need help! I have a '93 GXE.

Lights: A year ago right front light went out; replaced bulb but no luck. Guy I showed it to could not find the problem so wired the lights so they both work (??) .... only day lights .. no night driving lights. High beam works though is dim on the right. So now I drive very carefully at night.

Heating/AC: First AC would'nt work .. condensor changed, freon filled .. happy for the summer! Come winter (talking about Canadian winter here in Montreal!!) ..heating was out. Mechanic said the whoel console would have to fixed and cost big bucks so fixed it to get me heat from top and bottom only. I lived with that. Next summer AC went out again. Finally this winter I wanted to get the heating fixed and the mechanic thought I was stupid since he flushed the coolant and now had pretty warm air on the driver side front/ top/ bottom. The problem is very little/ none warm air on the passenger side. When I keep the "mode" on bottom or bottom+top I get the freezing cold air from outside; is it normal?? cant remember from time it was working well.

Jerking: Engine goes nuts on me in winter!! Morning drive into work not a problem; I park indoors. On way back from work after few hours in cold (real cold is worse) car starts jerking. Revs just start to die ... from 2500 to 1000 or 500 ... car lurches and jerks. I step on the gas to maintain highway speed and it still does the same. Noticed few things that make it happen ...Usually happens if I accelerate to merge onto highway with high revs and speed reaching 120km/h. Does not happen if I let car warm for 4 mins or more. Only cold weather brings the problem. Sometimes goes away when I put the car in overdrive and step on gas. Sometimes happens when I am lower speeds, but ALWAYS in the winter. No other problem at that time .. no lights/ alarms. Had the ignition wires/ rotor/ distributor cap changed since one guy felt it may be humidity. Air, Fuel filters changed. Spark plugs look fine. Hooking up to the computer shows nothing!

Long list of problems .. need to know where to put the money to fix this baby of mine.